Dracula The Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker

Dracula The Un-Dead (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dacre Stoker, Ian Holt

Member:JeannieHolmes
Title:Dracula The Un-Dead
Authors:Dacre Stoker
Other authors:Ian Holt
Info:Dutton Adult (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 432 pages

Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker (Author) (2009)

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (Joles)
    Joles: Both of these books share a great deal of research and they keep you speeding through one chapter to the next. Oh...and they both have Dracula....

English (39)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
Dracula, the Undead is a sequel written by the original author's great grand-nephew, Dacre Stoker, and a Dracula historian, Ian Holt. It's really good and has a satisfying ending. It's set in 1912, several decades later than the original's timeframe. To explain the premise of Dracula, the Undead, I have to assume you've read Dracula. In the sequel, Mina and Jonathon have a grown son, and they've tried to shelter him by telling him absolutely nothing of the vampire they fought so long ago. Of course, that leaves the headstrong Quincy Harker vulnerable as he runs headlong into danger. An evil force that rivals Dracula's in power slaughters its way through Paris and London and has reached the Harkers' inner sanctum. The original band of vampire killers feature in Dracula, the Undead, and it's interesting to read how time has changed them as they've struggled to cope with their experience and put it behind them. The novel also has a compelling romance and a different perspective on Dracula, which I enjoyed. The romantic scenes play authentically. The atmosphere and social climate of the Europe presented in Dracula, the Undead are rich and feel real. Read the novel's end matter to get an understanding of the history around both books and of how Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt carried through on Bram's vision, notes, and ideas. Dracula, the Undead is a sequel that honors the original while still appealing to modern readers and keeping its own identity. The novel is clearly a labor of love. As a Dracula fan, this made me feel good. ( )
  naimahaviland | Feb 14, 2016 |
If you love the original and don't want to see a lot of mixture of real life events with fiction (because even if parts of Dracula are based on real people, it's still a made up story), then don't read this book.

If you've missed the characters, want to know what they possibly could have gotten up to and don't mind seeing them completely different than you remember them, then this is the book for you. ( )
  oraclejenn | Dec 15, 2015 |
I really liked this book, it had a quick pace that kept me interested. I loved the inclusion of historical details and people, including Bram Stoker himself. The addition of Elizabeth Bathory to the cast of villains is a great choice; the descriptions of her life help humanize and let the reader see how she became so twisted. I don't want to give too much away so I will only say that it is very interesting to see how the lives of all of the heroes from the original Dracula turn out, and how those experiences have affected each of them. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
John Barrymore and Bram Stoker himself are among the real-life luminaries who figure in a campy mash of historical fiction and romance-­novel leering that smells of some unholy alliance between E. L. Doctorow and Barbara Cartland.

Stoker, DacreAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holt, IanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cnossen, FannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grasman, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Bram, thank you for your inspiration and your guidance
Letter from Mina Harker to her son, Quincey Harker, Esq. (To be opened upon the sudden or unnatural death of Wilhelmina Harker)

The official sequel to Bram Stoker's classic novel Dracula, written by his direct descendent and endorsed by the Stoker family. The story begins in 1912, twenty-five years after the events described in the original novel. Dr. Jack Seward, now a disgraced morphine addict, hunts vampires across Europe with the help of a mysterious benefactor. Meanwhile, Quincey Harker, the grown son of Jonathan and Mina, leaves law school to pursue a career in stage at London's famous Lyceum Theatre. The production of Dracula at the Lyceum, directed and produced by Bram Stoker, has recently lost its star. Luckily, Quincey knows how to contact the famed Hungarian actor Basarab, who agrees to take the lead role. Quincey soon discovers that the play features his parents and their former friends as characters, and seems to reveal much about the terrible secrets he's always suspected them of harbouring. But, before he can confront them, Jonathan Harker is found murdered. The writers were able to access Bram Stoker's hand-written notes and have included in their story characters and plot threads that had been excised by the publisher from the original printing over a century ago. Dracula is one of the most recognized fictional characters in the world, having spawned dozens of multi-media spin-offs. The Un-Dead is the first Dracula story to enjoy the full support of the Stoker estate since the original 1931 movie starring Bela Lugosi.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

One by one, the band of heroes that defeated Dracula a quarter-century ago is being hunted down. Could it be that Dracula somehow survived their attack and is seeking revenge? Or is there another force at work whose relentless purpose is to destroy anything and anyone associated with Dracula?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,636,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible