Dracula: The Un-dead by Dacre Stoker

Dracula: The Un-dead (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dacre Stoker

Member:HollyBooks
Title:Dracula: The Un-dead
Authors:Dacre Stoker
Info:Penguin Group Canada (2009), Hardcover, 448 pages

Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker (Author) (2009)

Recently added byLaMarcaDelVampiro, overthestars64, InTooBooks, nwdavies, drcmg, private library
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (Joles)
    Joles: Both of these books share a great deal of research and they keep you speeding through one chapter to the next. Oh...and they both have Dracula....

English (29)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (31)
I really liked this classic tale.
  dgooler | Jul 1, 2014 |
Oh dear, this book was really dreadful, amateurish and full of anachronisms. Mina Harker was seduced by Dracula [who is actually a goodie, regarding himself as a warrior for Christ]] and he awakened passions in her that the weakling and soon-to-be alcoholic Jonathan Harker could never hope to emulate with his vanilla love making.

Jack Seward is a morphine addict, Lord Godalming never recovers from his broken heart, Van Helsing is not the kindly patriarchal saint we imagined him, and Mina's son [now 25] is a naive and judgmental prig. A thoroughly unlikable set of characters.

Add the villainous Elizabeth Bathory to the mix and oh dear - Bram Stoker is surely spinning in his grave... ( )
  adpaton | Jan 4, 2014 |
I met Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt at BookExpo and got an autographed ARC copy of this book for free. That's the good news -- I got it for free. I liked Dacre Stoker (notice how I didn't mention Ian Holt...) and I wanted to like his book but I was disappointed. I was hoping for more Dracula and less Elizabeth Bathory and Jack the Ripper. Actually, there were about 400 characters in the book and the game of recognizing them started distracting me from the plot. Besides for characters from the original book, Bram Stoker was a character in the book plus lots of the real people that he associated with as well as many characters with the names of actors who have played Dracula. For example, there was a character in the book named Langella. There were some good action scenes and Ian Holt probably hopes that it will make a great movie.

Two stars was an act of charity because Dacre Stoker seems like such a nice guy. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |
Unfortunately, not as good as the original. It went a little too "we could make this into a movie!" for me at points, focusing more on action than actual horror. As well, the horror was more gore than horror most of the time. Still a good book, but I guess I was hoping for something more... ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
Okay, how cool is this? A sequel to Dracula written by Stoker's great- grandson? AND a good review? I can't wait.
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
John Barrymore and Bram Stoker himself are among the real-life luminaries who figure in a campy mash of historical fiction and romance-­novel leering that smells of some unholy alliance between E. L. Doctorow and Barbara Cartland.

Stoker, DacreAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holt, IanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cnossen, FannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grasman, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Bram, thank you for your inspiration and your guidance
Letter from Mina Harker to her son, Quincey Harker, Esq. (To be opened upon the sudden or unnatural death of Wilhelmina Harker)

The official sequel to Bram Stoker's classic novel Dracula, written by his direct descendent and endorsed by the Stoker family. The story begins in 1912, twenty-five years after the events described in the original novel. Dr. Jack Seward, now a disgraced morphine addict, hunts vampires across Europe with the help of a mysterious benefactor. Meanwhile, Quincey Harker, the grown son of Jonathan and Mina, leaves law school to pursue a career in stage at London's famous Lyceum Theatre. The production of Dracula at the Lyceum, directed and produced by Bram Stoker, has recently lost its star. Luckily, Quincey knows how to contact the famed Hungarian actor Basarab, who agrees to take the lead role. Quincey soon discovers that the play features his parents and their former friends as characters, and seems to reveal much about the terrible secrets he's always suspected them of harbouring. But, before he can confront them, Jonathan Harker is found murdered. The writers were able to access Bram Stoker's hand-written notes and have included in their story characters and plot threads that had been excised by the publisher from the original printing over a century ago. Dracula is one of the most recognized fictional characters in the world, having spawned dozens of multi-media spin-offs. The Un-Dead is the first Dracula story to enjoy the full support of the Stoker estate since the original 1931 movie starring Bela Lugosi.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:23 -0400)

One by one, the band of heroes that defeated Dracula a quarter-century ago is being hunted down. Could it be that Dracula somehow survived their attack and is seeking revenge? Or is there another force at work whose relentless purpose is to destroy anything and anyone associated with Dracula?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible