Start Me Up by Victoria Dahl

Start Me Up

by Victoria Dahl

This story was alright with plenty of action, lots of steamy scenes and a few chuckles but the heroine put up too much resistance to the relationship making my rating 3.5*. Auto body shop owner and mechanic Lori has hot no-strings-attached sex with workaholic architect Quinn.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Struggled through this one. I really enjoyed Quinn, but I just felt that the plot has been overdone. Dahl didn't really offer anything that I hadn't seen before in the "heroine just wants a fling" plot. There was also a mystery plot mixed in that just felt unnecessary. The whole question of who killed Lori's father and who is sabotaging the garage popped up once near the beginning and then didn't have any real influence over the rest of the story until the very end.

And despite how much I enjoyed Quinn, he was pretty flat. There was no real background given on his character. His personality pretty much hinged completely on him being an architect who is really passionate about his work. There also just wasn't enough going on in Lori and Quinn's relationship to make it interesting to read about. They get together, decide to have sex, have lots of sex, fight, get back together. The end.

Bottom line: I might give Dahl another shot if I stumble across a book where the plot sounds interesting. Otherwise I'll be steering clear. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
As I have said before I HEART VICTORIA DAHL! Ok, now that has been said I am going to say that I like this book least of all she has written. That does not mean I didn't like it, I just liked every other book more than this one. It is still an excellent book! I will forever more read every single thing this lady writes.

I enjoyed this book because it is far away from where I live. I can see the mountains, the snow, and all the crazy beautiful winters. I don't have that here, so this book is one of my vacation escapes. I also enjoyed the way Lori is not the typical girl, being a women in a "man's profession" I felt that I could relate to her a lot easier than I could many other contemporary romance heroines. I also love the sexiness that is Quinn...I have known many a character in my day and anytime they are named Quinn they are sex incarnate...and this one is no exception. I love the lines that Ms. Dahl walks in this book when it comes to the sensual scenes, they are crazy hot and very edgy. I say *high five*.

I did not like the fact that this book starts slow. I also don't like the fact that Lori is so darn stubborn; she is unnaturally stubborn in my opinion and I did not like that...she could have saved a lot of trouble had she just let go. Hmm...other than that, I loved everything else.

I hear this book as much as I do all her other and can't wait to get my hands on whatever she is working on next. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Nerd meets tomboy...match set!! Love this book! Laugh out loud moments. Engaging mystery as well! Hot and steamy scenes a plenty! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I've read a lot of criticism of this book because there's no overt HEA. No commitment, no "I love you." I understand that this is a deal-breaker for some readers, but I found it kind of refreshing. It's a happy and optimistic ending without trying to make me believe that this commitment-phobe of a heroine (and hero as well, let's be honest) is just going to fall into a permanent relationship. You get the sense of of the relationship to come without a messy, hastily written ending that forces an HEA. This one was fast, spicy, a lot of fun to read, and had some genuinely funny moments ( )
  librarymeg | Oct 11, 2013 |
"Baby, that is one fine ass."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373773900, Mass Market Paperback)

Lori had always planned to get out of tiny Tumble Creek, Colorado, but when her late dad left her his beloved auto body shop, she'd stayed. Now, according to her crazy best friend, Molly, what Lori needs is some excitement, in the form of hot, no-strings-attached sex…and lots of it.

Quinn Jennings has buildings on the brain—not love and romance. A serious architect, he's delighted to discover that Lori is willing to skip dating protocols and head straight for the sheets. And aided by the steamy books on Lori's bedside table, he's busy indulging both of their wildest fantasies. But when life in Tumble Creek takes a dangerous turn for Lori, Quinn's protective instincts kick in.

Suddenly he cares. More than either of them ever expected….

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:48 -0400)

"Lori had always planned to get out of tiny Tumble Creek, Colorado, but when her late dad left her his beloved auto body shop, she'd stayed. Now, according to her crazy best friend, Molly, what Lori needs is some excitement, in the form of hot, no-strings-attached sex...and lots of it. Quinn Jennings has buildings on the brain--not love and romance. A serious architect, he's delighted to discover that Lori is willing to skip dating protocols and head straight for the sheets. And aided by the steamy books on Lori's bedside table, he's busy indulging both of their wildest fantasies. But when life in Tumble Creek takes a dangerous turn for Lori, Quinn's protective instincts kick in. Suddenly he cares. More than either of them ever expected..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,144,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible