I Served the King of England by Bohumil…

I Served the King of England (1971)

by Bohumil Hrabal

English (13)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All (19)
I didn't finish the book, so to be brief: the Vintage jacket blurb accurately describes this as a "comic picaresque", so I get that it's farcical, fantastic. My problem is with the unwavering delivery of comic scenes, no shift in tone, no subtleness. And I just couldn't receive this as the laugh-a-minute romp that seemed intended. I understand the tone shifts in the latter half, but I wasn't curious enough to hang. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jun 11, 2017 |
"This story of how the unbelievable came true"
By sally tarbox on 15 April 2017
Format: Paperback
(Spoiler alert) Narrator Ditie begins his tale with his first job, as busboy at the Golden Prague Hotel in the 1930s. From a lowly background, Ditie starts to make serious money, and can begin to indulge in the lifestyle of the wealthy guests, whether visiting the girls at the Paradise brothel or throwing handfuls of coins to the poor. The first section of the novel didn't seem to be going anywhere, with its stories of eccentric guests and staff and sexual adventures.
Then comes the German occupation; Ditie falls for Nazi patriot Lise, to the disgust of his countrymen. And goes on to make it big in the hotel business, but loses it all...
As Ditie finds himself in a surreal 'millionaires' prison' the whole thing started to become a bit Kafkaesque and I found my concentration waning.
But in the final chapter, as he is coerced into - and comes to enjoy - a quiet contemplative life, working in the mountains, the writing really became very strong and thought-provoking. Former moments of glory, such as serving royal dignitaries, cease to have the same significance:

"I had obviously changed so much that no one could tell by looking at me that I really had served the Emperor of Ethiopia. But it meant something quite different to me now. When I mentioned serving the Emperor of Ethiopia, it was a way of making fun of myself, because I was independent now and beginning to find the presence of other people irksome, and I felt that in the end, I would have to speak only with myself, that my own best friend and companion would be that other self of mine, that teacher inside myself with whom I was beginning to talk more and more."

A very unusual book which is difficult to review, a mixture of anecdotes and poetry, human desire for wealth, sex and status and a gradual enjoyment of simpler pleasures. Maybe a book about growing up? ( )
  starbox | Apr 15, 2017 |
‘I Served the King of England’ starts off humorously, with the narrator, a young hotel busboy, describing various guests and how he makes money on the side by selling frankfurters at the railroad station and conveniently not having change for their big bills. However, it quickly starts meandering with a style that feels like one anecdote after another concatenated together as he moves from one hotel to the next. There is some sex thrown in here and there, starting with him early on discovering an “aim for life” after visiting Paradise’s, a local brothel, but it doesn’t feel all that honest, such as the time prostitutes find themselves so aroused after being poked and prodded by a bunch of rich old men that they need him to skillfully ‘finish what they began’. (ugh)

It takes awhile to get there, but the third and fourth chapters (out of five total) are good, when the Nazis take over the Czechoslovakia and the narrator finds himself in love with a German woman, then subjects himself to a humiliating physical examination before being permitted to marry her. Tellingly, their son, supposedly a part of the future superior Aryan race, is mentally retarded, and this portion of the book ends with a very moving scene.

It is interesting to read Hrabal’s expression of Czech zeitgeist in the 1970’s, having endured the Nazis and then the Soviets, and in the case of the narrator, having guilt for having profited in WWII from plunder taken from the Jews, and yet, through it all, keeping a lightness, and a madcap zaniness about them. It’s an easy book to rate for me though. Four stars for chapters three and four, and two and a half stars for the rest of it.

Quotes:
On the beauty of nature:
“It wasn’t a small hotel, as I’d been expecting, but a small town or a large village surrounded by woods, with hot springs in the forest and air so fresh you could have put it in a cup. All you had to do was turn and face the pleasant breeze and drink it in freely, as fish breathe through their gills, and you could hear the oxygen mixed with ozone flowing through your gills, and your lungs and vital parts would gradually pump up, as though earlier, somewhere down in the valley, long before, you’d got a flat tire, and it was only now, in this air, that you’d got it automatically pumped back up to a pressure that was safer and nicer to drive on.”

On love:
“We looked at each other as though we were both naked, and again that white film came over her eyes, the kind of look women get when they are ready to cast aside the last shred of inhibition and let themselves be treated any way that seems right at the moment, when a different world opens up, a world of love games and wantonness. She gave me a long, slow kiss in front of everyone, and I closed my eyes, and as we kissed, our champagne glasses tilted in our fingers and the wine slowly spilled out onto the tablecloth, and all the guests were silent.”

On having only a few moments left before saying goodbye; this as the German soldiers were about to leave for the Russian Front:
“Only now have I got to the core of it, that what made these people beautiful was knowing that they might never see each other again. The New Man was not the victor, loud-mouthed and vain, but the man who was humble and solemn, with the beautiful eyes of a terrified animal. And so through the eyes of these lovers – because even married couples became lovers again with the dangers of the front hanging over them – I learned to see the countryside, the flowers on the tables, the children at play, and to see that every hour is a sacrament. The day and the night before the departure for the front, the lovers didn’t sleep, but they weren’t necessarily in bed either, because there was something more here than bed: there were eyes and special feeling, like seeing a sad, romantic play or movie in a large theater or movie house. I also learned that the closest that one person can be to another is through silence, an hour, then a quarter-hour, then the last few minutes of silence when the carriage has arrived, or sometimes a military britzska, or a car. Two silent people rise to their feet, gazing long at each other, a sigh, then a final kiss, then the man standing in the britzska, then the man sitting down and the vehicle driving off up the hill, the final bend in the road, the waving handkerchief.” ( )
1 vote gbill | Jan 21, 2016 |
Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge: A Book By a Person Whose Gender is Different From My Own ( )
  kalbach | Apr 1, 2015 |
There is an amazing essay about this book by James Wood in the London Review of Books, most everything you need to know; however I first learned about it after reading an excerpt in Lapham's Quarterly (Food) concerning the banquet for the Emperor of Ethiopia. There are a lot of set pieces like this scene with the fish inside the turkey inside the gazelle inside the camel, as Wood says "anecdote without end," which can be great fun or greatly irritating, depending your mood. Fortunately if a story doesn't grab you, a new one comes along soon enough. I just watched the movie after the book and it's beautiful, it makes the story more coherent and adds new dimension as a work of art on its own. ( )
  Stbalbach | Jan 24, 2013 |

Varga, GyörgyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeulen, RickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zgustová, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I started to work at the Golden Prague Hotel, the boss took hold of my left ear, pulled me up and said, 'You're a busboy here, so remember, you don't see anything and you don't hear anything.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081121687X, Paperback)

In a comic masterpiece following the misadventures of a simple but hugely ambitious waiter in pre-World War II Prague, who rises to wealth only to lose everything with the onset of Communism, Bohumil Hrabal takes us on a tremendously funny and satirical trip through 20th-century Czechoslovakia.

First published in 1971 in a typewritten edition, then finally printed in book form in 1989, I Served the King of England is "an extraordinary and subtly tragicomic novel" (The New York Times), telling the tale of Ditie, a hugely ambitious but simple waiter in a deluxe Prague hotel in the years before World War II. Ditie is called upon to serve not the King of England, but Haile Selassie. It is one of the great moments in his life. Eventually, he falls in love with a Nazi woman athlete as the Germans are invading Czechoslovakia. After the war, through the sale of valuable stamps confiscated from the Jews, he reaches the heights of his ambition, building a hotel. He becomes a millionaire, but with the institution of communism, he loses everything and is sent to inspect mountain roads. Living in dreary circumstances, Ditie comes to terms with the inevitability of his death, and with his place in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,083,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible