Two Good Thieves / She thief by Daniel Finn

Two Good Thieves / She thief (edition 2009)

by Daniel Finn

Member:isln_reads
Title:Two Good Thieves / She thief
Authors:Daniel Finn
Info:Macmillan Children's Books (2009), Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:shortlist, 2010-2011, red_dot, readers cup mature, reddot mature

She Thief by Daniel Finn

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke (IAmMidnight)
    IAmMidnight: If you like reading books in the theme of child thieves, you'd love this.

A complex book about the life that some children are forced to live in the slums of third world countries - especially those that have corrupt governments and officials, controlling the slums.
  nicsreads | May 2, 2011 |
Interesting story, but suffered from some pacing issues, and the slangy sort-of-Cockney dialect was distracting. I did like the setting a lot - a future London that sometimes feels a lot like the past until a cell phone shows up in somebody’s pocket. ( )
  twonickels | Nov 12, 2010 |
Booklist (February 15, 2010 (Vol. 106, No. 12))
Grades 6-9. Two young thieves in a contemporary, unnamed Latin American city are caught up in a barrio-wide power struggle in this edge-of-the-seat escapade. For as long as she can remember, Baz has stood lookout for her boastful, light-fingered friend Demi; they’re both members of a ring of child pickpockets run by the mercurial fagin Fay. It’s a good life—until Demi’s theft of a valuable ring sets off a massive hue and cry, and Fay sends the pair on a house robbery where Demi is betrayed, wounded, and captured. It’s plain that her partner was set up by a challenger to the barrio’s crime lord, Señor Moro, and Baz screws up her courage to plunge into a desperate, elaborate rescue scheme. Casting his dialogue in pidginlike cadences (“That boy a thief—nobody thief from Fay. He move on”) and creating a vivid setting in which massive wealth and grinding poverty coexist amid constant danger, Finn gives his shy protagonist just enough wit, guile, and speed to stay a hairbreadth ahead of brutal police and murderous mobsters. Readers will race along breathlessly beside her.
  isln_reads | Sep 1, 2010 |
What's She Thief about?In this novel we get to know two young thieves, Baz and Demi, they're living in a bad neighborhood in a South American city. Both of the children are orphans and they have been raised by a women named Fay. Fay has teached them how to be the best pickpockets in the city in order to survive. Everything Baz and Demi steal goes to Fay, in return she gives them shelter, food and money for clothing. The three of them have been together for what feels like forever, they're almost like family. But just almost, if anyone breaks Fay's rules they're gone!My thoughts:When I opened this book I didn't really know what to expect, and really that for me is a good thing. I tend to have so high expectations when it comes to books everyone seems to fall in love with. I often end up disappointed. She Thief started out a bit slow for me, I felt there were so many long sentences and the English slang/dialect being used kind of annoyed me. After 30 pages everything that bothered me was forgotten and I was sucked into the world of the two friendly thieves, Baz and Demi, their friends and a whole bunch of other more dangerous criminals.Daniel Finn managed to keep me on the edge of my seat, almost throughout the entire book. I was never sure where he was taking his characters. never felt sure if all the people I came to love would have a happy ending, would end up dead in a ditch somewhere or locked up in the Castle forever(or worse working in the Mountain). I cried and cried when I read the last few pages last night and today the characters have been in the back of my mind all day.I loved the dialog between Demi and Baz, they're friendly banter is guaranteed to make you smile. She Thief for me was a story about never letting go of your friends and family, sometimes bad things happen but you don't just close your eyes and move on with your own life like nothing ever happened. Even in the worst thinkable places there can be good people, you cannot live your life without trusting a single soul. That's no way to lead your life.Daniel Finn writes about a corrupted system that sadly still exists in many countries. It really is a horrible thing to reflect about, how many people have been wronged by this kind of way to governing? We also get to see a way of life that's the only option for survival for many, many young children living in poor countries, stealing. The most heart wrenching for me was reading about the children and the families working on the Mountain(a recycling compound/dumpster), getting sick by all the filth and garbage they live and breathe every single day. Sadly this is also the way of life for many poor people in real life.The story is a bit like a modern Oliver Twist, I haven't read the book myself but I know how the story goes.She Thief is a great young adult thriller. I really loved reading it and it made me even more grateful for everything I got.The cover:I just noticed that some has made complaints about the cover since the two main characters is described as having dark skin. I can understand the complaints but for me it's highly unlikely that the girl on the cover is supposed to be 13-14 year old Baz. In the book she is described as a girl looking just like a boy, very unlikely that she wears any makeup. For me the girl on the cover is Fay, their leader, she's described as a girl with fair skin and red hair in her late twenties/early thirties. ( )
  Ladybug83 | Jun 5, 2010 |
For the first book that I received for review it was very disappointing. In my opinion the synopsis makes it sound much more exciting than it really is. I was about half way through before I got into it and it picked up the pace.

One thing that made it difficult was that it was in third person, which usually doesn't matter, but in this book meant that I never completely connected with the characters. Another thing was that the dialect was annoying. I understand that they are supposed to be uneducated street thieves, but how hard is it to add a "d" at the end of your words to make them past tense?

Once I got through those things it was pretty good. The lives of Baz and Demi were interesting to read about, and the storyline was good. I just wish that the beginning wasn't so slow, and that I could have connected more with Baz, as the main character. ( )
  book_worm127 | Apr 7, 2010 |
The city's burning.

The girl, Baz, and the boy, Demi, are master pickpockets. They weave through rich neighborhoods to slip bags off shoulders and wallets out of pockets before disappearing into the crowd. Their loot goes to Fay, who runs a gang of child thieves from her den in the Barrio. This sweltering slum—in a city that is imagined, but all too real—is what passes for home to the kids, and Fay is what passes for family.

That all changes the day Demi steals a magnificent blue ring. Soon, the police chief and the Barrio’s crime boss close in on Fay, and she begins to break under their pressure.
Baz has never doubted Fay before. She’s never been apart from Demi, either. But soon, Baz is left alone to find her way through a world more corrupt than she’s ever realized. Here, the lives of children are thrown away without a moment’s hesitation. Here, the rich and powerful are just thieves on a larger scale. And somewhere in this wreck of a city, Baz must find the scraps of hope, the small acts of kindness, and the steely strength that will take her back to Demi and wash them both out of the Barrio for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:27 -0400)

When Demi--a master pickpocket working for the gang leader Fay--steals a ring, his partner in crime, Baz, soon finds herself alone and betrayed as police and the Barrio's crime boss close in on Fay and her den of child thieves.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,407,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible