The Case of Sergeant Grischa by Arnold Zweig

The Case of Sergeant Grischa (1927)

by Arnold Zweig

English (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (3)
I thought Arnold Zweig's novel "The Case of Sergrant Grischa" was a good story, though it kind of dragged on a bit too long in the middle (especially when the conclusion seemed to be so obvious.)

Grischa is a Russian prisoner of war, who walks away from his camp and gets caught up in a troop of German soldiers in a case of mistaken identity. Unfortunately, his new identity is that of a deserter, so things aren't so rosy there either.

This book get reminding me of "Forest of the Hanged" even though plotwise, they aren't super similiar -- and I just kept thinking I'd rather be reading "Forest of the Hanged." Overall, this was an okay book but not one I feel particularly strongly about. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 23, 2018 |
1184. The Case of Sergeant Grischa, by Arnold Zweig (10 Sep 1972) This is supposedly a classic German novel of world War One. It was published in 1927. I was not overly impressed, and had a hard time empathizing with the central character's sense of values and loyalties. This is one of a series known as "Great Novels and Memoirs of World War One." I had noted four other titles, including Memoirs of George Sherston, by Siegfried Sassoon, Sagittarus Rising, by Cecil Lewis, Two Prisoners, by Lajos Zilahy, but have never read those three during these thirty years since. [But since I made this comment in 2002 I have read both Sassoon's book and Two Prisoners. And I might read the Cecil Lewis book if I can find it.] ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 16, 2009 |

Grischa Paprotkin, a Russian soldier during World War I, escapes from a Germa prison camp and takes the identity of a dead soldier only to learn that he faces execution by his own army, because the dead man was a deserter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:59 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible