Will you please be quiet, please ? by…

Will you please be quiet, please ? (edition 1999)

by Raymond Carver

1,134None7,197 (4.17)12
Member:sneeuwvlokje
Title:Will you please be quiet, please ?
Authors:Raymond Carver
Info:London Harvill 1999
Rating:***
Tags:buitenlandse literatuur, korte verhalen, amerika

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? by Raymond Carver

English (6)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
Jeez, I loved the hell out of this book. Just that. ( )
  Librarianlacey | Sep 9, 2013 |
I just finished [b:Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?|11446|Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?|Raymond Carver|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166476709s/11446.jpg|1038760] by Raymond Carver. I'm dovetailed reading Carver with reading the biography the came out last year, [b:Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life|5789689|Raymond Carver A Writer's Life|Carol Sklenicka|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1274275666s/5789689.jpg|5961634]by Carol Sklenicka.

I must say, I really am finding Carver to be a kindred spirit. I remember those desperate days of my youth when I was a student, lived on a shoestring, and moved house frequently. These early stories mostly concern married couples in that condition, or people transgressing societal boundaries. Restless people trying to eke out their version of the American Dream.

Each of these stories, in and of itself, could give a book group enough to chew on over a couple hours of dinner conversation. The endings are invariably ambiguous enough to be susceptible to several different interpretations. All of the stories will leave you feeling uneasy. Some are downright creepy.

The title story is the longest one in the book. In it, a husband and wife have been living with an elephant in the room for several years: the specter of the wife's possible infidelity and the husband's violent reaction to that possibility. When the infidelity is finally revealed, the husband sets out one night's odyssey before he decides what to do about the new information he's gained. I use the term "odyssey" advisedly, as there are echoes of both Odysseus and Leopold Bloom here, although here an epic is presented in a clean twenty pages.

I look forward to watching Carver continue to master the shirt story form. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
Carver is a more mysterious Hemingway: simple prose and something happening below the story's conscious. In these stories, the family life is suspect and ideals are challenged with blunt realism that sometimes turns into subtle magical-realism. Carver knows how to end, without pomp and circumstance but with meaning flapping just before your nose. ( )
  TJWilson | Mar 29, 2013 |
Snapshots of minute detail of daily suburban life written in the barest prose possible. I'm sure that's up someone's alley, but I like my minutiae with a dose of brilliance a la Woolf and my sparse prose with a dose of beauty a la Hemingway. These stories aren't brilliant or beautiful, but they are confusing and very, very realist. If that's your jam, this is your jam. If that is not your jam, this is meh. ( )
1 vote deadwhiteguys | Jul 27, 2012 |
Sparse, bleak prose, with sparse, bleak characters. ( )
  owen1218 | May 21, 2010 |
In Raymond Carver's mechanistic universe there is such an economy of equilibrium that the slightest act may slip a cog and break down the whole machine. He works meticulously, fitting the pieces in place, squinting at each fact in the chain through a jeweler's eyepiece. Then, suddenly, he opens a door a crack, lighting up a whole room.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Richard F. Lingeman (pay site) (Apr 30, 1976)

With this, his first collection of stories, Raymond Carver breathed new life into the American short story. Carver shows us the humor and tragedy that dwell in the hearts of ordinary people; his stories are the classics of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:06 -0400)

With this, his first collection of stories, Raymond Carver breathed new life into the American short story and instantly became both the recognized master of the form and one of our best-loved and most widely read fiction writers. His stories can "be counted among the masterpieces of American fiction".--The New York Times Book Review.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible