The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction…

The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction (2006)

by Mike Ashley (Editor)

Other authors: Stephen Baxter (Contributor), Greg Bear (Contributor), Gregory Benford (Contributor), Pat Cadigan (Contributor), Paul Di Filippo (Contributor)15 more, Cory Doctorow (Contributor), Greg Egan (Contributor), Harlan Ellison (Contributor), Stephen L. Gillett (Contributor), James Patrick Kelly (Contributor), Geoffrey A. Landis (Contributor), Ian McDonald (Contributor), Jerry Oltion (Contributor), Lawrence Person (Contributor), Robert Reed (Contributor), Alastair Reynolds (Contributor), Clifford D. Simak (Contributor), Charles Stross (Contributor), Theodore Sturgeon (Contributor), B. Vallance (Contributor)

Series: Mammoth Science Fiction

Mine is an RNIB edition for blind people that I got from my local library as a download. There are several readers, all good, & it's about 25 hours long.

Ashley & I don't agree on what makes a good SF short story. Most of these were far too long & not particularly interesting. If you like [a:Greg Bear|16024|Greg Bear|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1223822211p2/16024.jpg]'s writing, you'll probably like this collection. He wrote one of the stories. For all his popularity, I've never found it worthwhile to wade through his prose, though. Too many words for too little return.

The last story was "Stuffing" by Jerry Oltion it was great. It was the only one that was, though. There were a few other good ones, so I'm glad this was free from the library. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I am not certain how this is extreme. It does take all arguments to their logical conclusion, if we did this we would end up?
  jessicariddoch | Aug 28, 2009 |
A fascinating mix. Weird and wonderful ideas which are often on the cusp of fantasy rather than science fiction.

I thoroughly enjoyed the editors choices. ( )
  psiloiordinary | Oct 6, 2008 |
Having read SciFi and some fantasy most of my life, I just had to have this book as it promised some extreme SciFi. And the book delivers! Luckily, Mike Ashley starts off with some "lighter" extreme SciFi and gradually guides you to some pretty extreme stories. I loved all of those stories. I know now that SciFi is more than what I used to read. Open your mind, broaden your vision and try to appreciate. I must admit though, having dutch as my native tongue, the stories at the end were a bit more difficult to read. But if you read SciFi regularily, you'll love this anthology! ( )
1 vote RobinLeysen | Oct 13, 2007 |
A collection of stories by major contemporary writers.
  Fledgist | Aug 30, 2007 |

Simak, Clifford D.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stross, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sturgeon, TheodoreContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vallance, B.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
If science fiction is the literature of ideas, then extreme science fiction is about extreme ideas.

Collects 19 stories, three of which are original to the collection:

"Anomalies" by Gregory Benford

"...And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoon" by Paul Di Filippo

"Crucifixion Variations" by Lawrence Person

"The Pacific Mystery" by Stephen Baxter (original)

"Flowers from Alice" by Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross

"Merlin's Gun" by Alastair Reynolds

"Death in the Promised Land" by Pat Cadigan

"The Long Chase" by Geoffrey A. Landis

"Waterworld" by Stephen L. Gillett and Jerry Oltion

"Hoop-of-Benzene" by Robert Reed (original)

"The New Humans" by B. Vallance

"The Creator" by Clifford D. Simak

"The Girl Had Guts" by Theodore Sturgeon

"The Region Beyond" by Harlan Ellison

"The Days of Solomon Gursky" by Ian McDonald

"Wang's Carpets" by Greg Egan

"Undone" by James Patrick Kelly

"Judgement Engine" by Greg Bear

"Stuffing" by Jerry Oltion (original)

The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction is a new collection that features 25 hard sci-fi stories that really push the boundaries, from names like Charles Stross, Robert Reed, Peter Hamilton, and Neal Asher. Highlights feature a perpetual war fought within a cosmic string; a machine that detects alternate worlds and creates a choice of Christs; murder in virtual reality; and a spaceship so large that there's an entire planetary system within it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:09 -0400)

Here are 25 stories of science fiction that push the boundaries, by the biggest names in an emerging crop of high-tech futuristic writers including Charles Stross, Robert Reed, Alastair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton and Neal Asher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,196,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible