Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert…

Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our… (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Michio Kaku

341932,181 (4.07)18
Member:grunin
Title:Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our Understanding of Space and Time (Great Discoveries)
Authors:Michio Kaku
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2004), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 240 pages
Tags:Physics, u

Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our Understanding of Space and Time by Michio Kaku (2004)

English (8)  All (1)  All (9)
This is a great book for getting acquainted with the nature of the space-time continuum, a phrase that has entered the common parlance, but that few *really* understand. Kaku is the perfect guide into the complexities of the Einsteinian universe (and the post-Einsteinian universe), and does not rely as heavily on metaphor and image as does, say, [author: Brian Greene] does in his books "[book: The Elegant Universe]" and "[book: The Fabric of the Cosmos]". An elegant and understated book, it definitely belongs on the bookshelf of any armchair physicist. ( )
  anna_hiller | Jun 22, 2016 |
Written in three parts, this biography focuses on Einstein's best ideas, but also includes details from his life and how he was perceived both during his lifetime and now. I began the book with not much hope for understanding, but Michio Kaku has a gift for making these extremely difficult concepts approachable by the "everyman." I won't pretend that I understood any of it completely, but like a work of great art shown by an excellent docent, Kaku was able to give me an appreciation of the beauty, joy and workmanship of those who are working so hard to understand our universe and make it understandable. I might even say that he brought excitement to a subject which has heretofore been off my radar as unintelligible. ( )
  MrsLee | May 23, 2014 |
The first book I've read by Dr. Kaku and I loved it! I kept lots of notes and did a bit of scribbling. It's one of thsoe books that makes me want to go Google lots of stuff and I've added a few books to my to-read list as a result. Now, I'm finally ready to give 'Physics of the Impossible' a chance! ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself."

Einstein came up with his theories of special and general relativity based on 2 pictures. For special relativity it was picturing himself running alongside a light beam. For general relativity it was falling off a chair. He spent the rest of his career trying to find the 'theory of everything', but was unsuccessful; perhaps because he couldn't come up with a simple picture to describe it.

Kaku does an excellent job of mixing biographical information along with some physics; and making it all understandable. But don't let the inclusion of a little physics deter you; it's all very simple and there are no crazy equations. This book is more about Einstein's life and how it led him to discover his relativity theories. It's a relatively short read at 233 pages, so if you're looking for a simple yet informative book on Einstein's life, give this a try. ( )
  LadyofWinterfell | Jul 1, 2011 |
A good overview of the development of Einstein's theories both before and after his death. Definitely more recommended for the reader looking for an opening introduction to relativity, than for serious students. ( )
  Jthierer | Jun 9, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to Michelle and Alyson
Genius.  [Preface]
A journalist once asked Albert Einstein, the greatest scientific genius since Isaac Newton, to explain his formula for success.

In paperback for the centenary of the discovery of relativity, "a fresh and highly visual tour through Einstein's astonishing legacy" (Brian Greene).

The year 2005 marks the 100th anniversary of the publication of the paper that launched Einstein's career, made E=mc2 famous, and ushered in a revolution in science—the paper that announced the theory of special relativity. And there's no better short book that explains just what Einstein did than Einstein's Cosmos. Keying Einstein's crucial discoveries to the simple mental images that inspired them, Michio Kaku finds a revealing new way to discuss these ideas, and delivers an appealing and always accessible introduction to Einstein's work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:16 -0400)

A leading string theory physicist demonstrates how Albert Einstein used simple, picture-based imagery to convey his theories about relativity and subsequently changed the way people thought about the world, in a volume that evaluates the beauty and lasting impact of Einstein's cosmos.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393327000, 039305165X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible