Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg

Howl and Other Poems (1956)

by Allen Ginsberg

English (51)  French (1)  All languages (52)
Generation defining collection of poems. A bit rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with its stream of consciousness style. ( )
  AlbertHolmes | Nov 12, 2018 |
Interesante introduccion (para mi) del movimiento Beats.
Entiendo el contexto historico de esto pero no me ha emocionado especialmente.
Creo que no es especialmente bueno y si no fuera por el contexto anteriormente mencionado no seria especialmente conocido. ( )
  trusmis | Sep 28, 2018 |
I'm not a huge fan of either poetry or the Beats, but this man never fails to move me. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 16, 2018 |
Meh. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
First read in 1995 whilst drunk on red wine sat in a friends room on a mattress on the floor.
Reread at least a hundred times since then.
Read when I wanted to be a poet.
Read when I decided that all poetry is bullshit.
Read when I realised that I wasn't a poet but I still knew what I loved.
Listened to on recordings of Ginsberg.
Listened to on documentaries about the beats.
Read aloud by other people.
Recited by some godawful jazz students on the anniversary of his death.
Recited by myself on the anniversary of his death.
Read to myself sometimes late at night when I just can't sleep.
Reread after I saw the film at a film festival in 2010.
Reread December 2013 for no apparent reason.
Listened to again just now.
1 vote graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |

Allen Ginsbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, William CarlosIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0872860175, Paperback)

The epigraph for Howl is from Walt Whitman: "Unscrew the locks from the doors!/Unscrew the doors themselves from their jambs!" Announcing his intentions with this ringing motto, Allen Ginsberg published a volume of poetry which broke so many social taboos that copies were impounded as obscene, and the publisher, poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, was arrested. The court case that followed found for Ginsberg and his publisher, and the publicity made both the poet and the book famous. Ginsberg went on from this beginning to become a cultural icon of sixties radicalism. This works seminal place in the culture is indicated in Czeslaw Milosz's poetic tribute to Ginsberg: "Your blasphemous howl still resounds in a neon desert where the human tribe wanders, sentenced to unreality".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

From the Publisher: The prophetic poem that launched a generation when it was first published in 1965 is here presented in a commemorative fortieth Anniversary Edition. When the book arrived from its British printers, it was seized almost immediately by U.S. Customs, and shortly thereafter the San Francisco police arrested its publisher and editor, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, together with City Lights Bookstore manager Shigeyoshi Murao. The two of them were charged with disseminating obscene literature, and the case went to trial in the municipal court of Judge Clayton Horn. A parade of distinguished literary and academic witnesses persuaded the judge that the title poem was indeed not obscene and that it had "redeeming social significance." Thus was Howl and Other Poems freed to become the single most influential poetic work of the post World War II era.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,857,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible