Howl and other poems (The Pocket Poets…

Howl and other poems (The Pocket Poets Series) (original 1956; edition 1994)

by Allen Ginsberg, William Carlos Williams (Introduction)

Member:housefulofpaper
Title:Howl and other poems (The Pocket Poets Series)
Authors:Allen Ginsberg
Other authors:William Carlos Williams (Introduction)
Info:City Lights Books (1994), Edition: 54th printing, Paperback, 57 pages
Tags:Poetry, 20th Century Literature, USA, Beat Poetry

Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg (1956)

English (51)  French (1)  All languages (52)
Generation defining collection of poems. A bit rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with its stream of consciousness style. ( )
  AlbertHolmes | Nov 12, 2018 |
Interesante introduccion (para mi) del movimiento Beats.
Entiendo el contexto historico de esto pero no me ha emocionado especialmente.
Creo que no es especialmente bueno y si no fuera por el contexto anteriormente mencionado no seria especialmente conocido. ( )
  trusmis | Sep 28, 2018 |
I'm not a huge fan of either poetry or the Beats, but this man never fails to move me. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 16, 2018 |
Meh. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
First read in 1995 whilst drunk on red wine sat in a friends room on a mattress on the floor.
Reread at least a hundred times since then.
Read when I wanted to be a poet.
Read when I decided that all poetry is bullshit.
Read when I realised that I wasn't a poet but I still knew what I loved.
Listened to on recordings of Ginsberg.
Listened to on documentaries about the beats.
Read aloud by other people.
Recited by some godawful jazz students on the anniversary of his death.
Recited by myself on the anniversary of his death.
Read to myself sometimes late at night when I just can't sleep.
Reread after I saw the film at a film festival in 2010.
Reread December 2013 for no apparent reason.
Listened to again just now.
1 vote graffiti.living | Oct 22, 2017 |

Allen Ginsbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Williams, William CarlosIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To--
Jack Kerouac, new Buddha of American prose, who spit forth intelligence into eleven books written in half the number of years (1951-1956) creating a spontaneous bop prosody and original classic literature. Several phrases and the title of Howl are taken from him.
William Seward Burroughs, author of Naked Lunch, an endless novel which will drive everybody mad.
Neal Cassady, author of The First Third, an autobiography ( 1949) which enlightened Buddha.
All these books are published in Heaven.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0872860175, Paperback)

The epigraph for Howl is from Walt Whitman: "Unscrew the locks from the doors!/Unscrew the doors themselves from their jambs!" Announcing his intentions with this ringing motto, Allen Ginsberg published a volume of poetry which broke so many social taboos that copies were impounded as obscene, and the publisher, poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti, was arrested. The court case that followed found for Ginsberg and his publisher, and the publicity made both the poet and the book famous. Ginsberg went on from this beginning to become a cultural icon of sixties radicalism. This works seminal place in the culture is indicated in Czeslaw Milosz's poetic tribute to Ginsberg: "Your blasphemous howl still resounds in a neon desert where the human tribe wanders, sentenced to unreality".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

From the Publisher: The prophetic poem that launched a generation when it was first published in 1965 is here presented in a commemorative fortieth Anniversary Edition. When the book arrived from its British printers, it was seized almost immediately by U.S. Customs, and shortly thereafter the San Francisco police arrested its publisher and editor, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, together with City Lights Bookstore manager Shigeyoshi Murao. The two of them were charged with disseminating obscene literature, and the case went to trial in the municipal court of Judge Clayton Horn. A parade of distinguished literary and academic witnesses persuaded the judge that the title poem was indeed not obscene and that it had "redeeming social significance." Thus was Howl and Other Poems freed to become the single most influential poetic work of the post World War II era.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,128,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible