A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner

A Conspiracy of Kings

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (4)

9966712,449 (4.1)1 / 112
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (majkia)
    majkia: twisty, sneaky, conspiring heroes.

Excellent, as is the entire series. But the plot would have been a whole lot easier to follow if we had a map to help make sense of all the intrigues, escapes, and battles. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |

This was my least favorite of the four I've read so far. I think part of it has to do with Gen being such a jerk that I just wanted to reach into the book and smack him. Of course, this is all part of the plot and it all makes sense later but I am still incredibly annoyed with him!

Possible spoilers below!

This story follows Sophos of Sounis, a character we met in the first book, The Thief. He is telling his story of his whereabouts and activities in the last two books that focused primarily on Gen and his life in Eddis and Attolia.

I liked that it was a flashback for the first chunk of the book and that it felt like we were listening to Sophos tell or write his story to his friend Helen (Queen of Eddis) and that it gives you a little more insight into the politics of the peninsula. I also liked that we learned more about the Medes but I am still longing to learn more of the world and not just the characters. The first 250 pages were interesting but did not hold my attention like the last 70. Which is sad because it got very fast paced at the end and the conspiracy was revealed but I struggled to stay interested in the book and found myself putting it down. A LOT.

However, I was still a little confused of what exactly they meant in the end with the gods and am unsure I followed it fully. Maybe I will reread the last bit before I move on to the next book to see if I missed anything important.

Overall, it wasn't bad. I much preferred books 2 and 3 over this one but it does not deter me from reading the final book, for now. ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I love Sophos; he's one of my favorite characters in this series so I was happy to have a book focused on him. My favorite part was when he and the Magus shot a pea at Gen's face - hysterical!!

I realized that the reason I like these books so much is because you never really know what's going on until the end. There is so much intrigue and you never see it all come together until the end. It is very smart.
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
Enjoyable, but not as compelling as the previous book in the series the King of Attolia. Solid addition the story arc. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |
Not my very favorite of the series, but still *amazing*. ( )
  scaifea | Oct 1, 2017 |

Megan Whalen Turnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beckerman, Chad W.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natale, VinceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChrisCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Diana Wynne Jones. Thank you for the stories and the leg up.
The king of Attolia was passing through his city, on his way to the port to greet ambassadors newly arrived from distant parts of the world.

Sophos, heir to the throne of Sounis, has never wanted to be a prince, much less a king. He would rather continue his studies than learn swordplay or combat. But Sophos is his uncle's only heir, so he has no choice -- until he is kidnapped.

Sold into slavery, set to work building walls on the estate of one of his uncle's enemies, Sophos could remain anonymous for the rest of his life. But his country would crumble under the mounting conspiracy, and Sophos realizes that he cannot abandon his people. So he fights back. Battling his way out of slavery, battling through the conspirators' army, Sophos turns to the only person he knows will help him. His friend -- Eugenides, former Thief of Eddis and now king of Attolia.

Kidnapped and sold into slavery, Sophos, an unwilling prince, tries to save his country from being destroyed by rebellion and exploited by the conniving Mede empire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,960,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible