The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan…

The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (1992)

by Edgar Allan Poe

A truly unique writer. His skill is beyond compare. A basic to read again and again. None of his work seems dated. I can still visualize the terror of "Descent into the Maelstrom" even though I first read it when I was fourteen. The images he paints in your mind are enduring. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I've had this for two or three years now. It's an old used copy and I love it! It's lovely to have so much Poe in one volume. ( )
  sapphire--stars | Sep 9, 2010 |
A collection of 73 tales and 52 poems spanning the writing career of Edgar Allan Poe. He is best known for his poem "The Raven" and tale of "The Tell-Take Heart". A favourite among gothic horror fans, I was really looking forward to reading this complete collection.

Sadly I was quite let down. There was a lot of gothic horror tales, but there were a lot of random tales as well. The ones I really enjoyed were:
The Unparalled Adventures of one Hans Pfaal (non-horror)
The Gold Bug
Beatrice
The System of Dr Tarr and Professor Fether
Narrative of A. Gordon Pym
Eleonora
Some words with a Mummy (non-horror)
The Spectacles
This is only a list of 16 tales and out of 73 it's a pretty small proportion. I found that there were far too many I didn't enjoy between those I did which mad it very difficult to keep going and finish them all.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the poetry and they are something I would go back and read again. I think the best thing to do is stick to a collection of his best horror ones to save being disappointed with the rest (however they do become a little formulaic after a while). ( )
  Rhinoa | Sep 9, 2007 |
Many mixed feelings about Poe. Brilliance and schlock at turns. ( )
  Poemblaze | Aug 7, 2006 |

Edgar Allan Poe was one of the most original writers in the history of American letters, a genius who was tragically misunderstood in his lifetime. He was a seminal figure in the development of science fiction and the detective story, and exerted a great influence on Dostoyevsky, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jules Verne, and Charles Baudelaire, who championed him long before Poe was appreciated in his own country. Baudelaire's enthusiasm brought Poe a wide audience in Europe, and his writing came to have enormous importance for modern French literature. This edition includes his most well-known works--"The Raven," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "Annabel Lee," "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"--as well as less-familiar stories, poems, and essays.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:12 -0400)

Gathers stories, essays, and poems, including "The Gold-Bug," "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," "The Cask of Amontillado," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Raven," "Lenore," and "Annabel Lee"

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,509,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible