Shoplifting from American Apparel by Tao Lin

Shoplifting from American Apparel

by Tao Lin

I fell victim to a STAFF RECOMMENDS card for this book. After having written these cards for years and years, one finds oneself overly-curious for whatever excitement a staff member is trying to share about a book. The bookseller's words (the card even had a snappy little drawing) caught my eye and I went for it. While it wasn't that bad, in all honesty, it really wasn't all that good either. The writing is strange enough at times that it kept my interest, but once I closed the back cover — it just wasn't satisfying. ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 19, 2014 |
heh. ( )
  poolspy | Aug 21, 2013 |
I'm getting the impression that if you like one Tao Lin book, you'll pretty much like them all but I don't know as if they are quite as dramatic if you read them back to back. It throws you ajar to read them at first when you've been reading novels with safer and more traditional writing styles attached, for example.

In any case, one thing that helped me connect less to this main character was how flippant he was about all these girls and female relationships..well, maybe not so much flippant but incapable of forming a long lasting attention..even possibly incapable of making sincere and emotional facial expressions. I did like the connection of the main character wanting to write a story that basically became what is Eeeee Eee Eee.

Oh, and this one takes place in NYC vs. mainly Florida so there's a slightly different vibe there. Also, I liked the ending quite a bit.

p.s. Yes, they are just inanimate objects but shoplifting was so post-yesterday.

Favorite quotes:

pg. 19 "Oscar Wilde said that a genius is a spectator to their own life, to the point that the real genius is uninteresting."

pg. 78 "I just want to be crying in someone's arms."

pg. 97 "I have an idea or something," said Sam. "We should start from very far away and then run toward each other and then give each other high fives jumping in the air." "Let's do it," said Audrey beginning to stand. "No wait," said Sam. "It's better just to think about it."

kirstiecat | Mar 31, 2013 |
heh. ( )
  alono | Dec 11, 2011 |
Lin is doing his best to capture a mid-twenties malaise, a droning urban existence that—in the hands of a mildly depressed narrator—never peaks nor pitches enough to warrant drama.

Sam woke up around 3:30 p.m. and saw no e-mails from Sheila.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible