Shoplifting from American Apparel (The…

Shoplifting from American Apparel (The Contemporary Art of the Novella) (edition 2009)

by Tao Lin

1901662,147 (3.09)12
Member:arinko
Title:Shoplifting from American Apparel (The Contemporary Art of the Novella)
Authors:Tao Lin
Info:Melville House (2009), Paperback, 112 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Shoplifting from American Apparel by Tao Lin

I did not like this book. I thought the cover looked interesting. I checked it out from the library but then I wished I had not. While I was reading the cat jumped on my lap. His back claw accidentally scratched me but it did not draw blood. The cat looked at me with a neutral expression. I looked back at him also with a neutral expression. Then I kept reading even though I hated the book. My boyfriend walked by and sat on the couch. He turned on the TV. A man was screaming loudly at a police officer. The police officer did not scream loudly. I stopped watching and tried to get to the end of my book. The cat sat on my Kindle so I could not read for a while. The cat walked away. I got to the end of the book. I deleted it from my Kindle with a neutral expression even though I was irritated.

This has been a Review in the Style of the Book (TM).

Actual excerpt from this book: There was a thing on the table and Sam touched it.
"What is this," he said.
They touched the thing and looked at it.That is the end of the discussion about the thing; no, you do not ever find out what the thing is. A grapefruit? A brass monkey? An alien? A gob of ear wax? All of the above?

And so, I hated this book. Do not read it. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Frustrating little book this. I can't decide whether the author is genuinely trying something radical or is just brazen enough to publish absolutely anything. Before I had read authors like Georges Perec I would have hated this, but now I'm not so sure. More of a two and half than a three star for me but I will read more of his work and try to work out his aesthetic, if there is one to find. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
heh. ( )
  Stuckey_Bowl | Mar 23, 2015 |
I fell victim to a STAFF RECOMMENDS card for this book. After having written these cards for years and years, one finds oneself overly-curious for whatever excitement a staff member is trying to share about a book. The bookseller's words (the card even had a snappy little drawing) caught my eye and I went for it. While it wasn't that bad, in all honesty, it really wasn't all that good either. The writing is strange enough at times that it kept my interest, but once I closed the back cover — it just wasn't satisfying. ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 19, 2014 |
heh. ( )
  poolspy | Aug 21, 2013 |
Lin is doing his best to capture a mid-twenties malaise, a droning urban existence that—in the hands of a mildly depressed narrator—never peaks nor pitches enough to warrant drama.

Sam woke up around 3:30 p.m. and saw no e-mails from Sheila.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,918,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible