Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

Johnny Got His Gun (1939)

by Dalton Trumbo

English (47)  Swedish (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (51)
Of course the chance of that happening is one in a million, but even so, this situation is enough to catch the inhumane concept of war. That guy is not even dead! And Trumbo shouldn't have been surprised (he probably wasn't, contrary to what he said), that the anti-war movement wanted it to be its figurehead. The style is gripping; I use the arm amputation passage regularly as an example of stream of consciousness - technique for my students, but the whole thing is impressive in its biased view on war - the only way to look at it, from a personal point of view - not just Johnny's.
  Kindlegohome | Mar 5, 2018 |
A Powerful Anti-War Novel. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
This book started me on my path to reading and writing, inspiring me that books can have important messages. It told the ugly truth about war. It didn't hide. And I appreciate that. Horrific and engaging. One of my all time favorite reads. ( )
1 vote CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
I agree with Lisa B. I read this book 31 yrs ago and it still haunts me.This book makes you think and re-evaluate your own thoughts and opinions. You may or may not change those opinions but this book will touch you.I do feel this is a must read for all teens. ( )
1 vote LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
A sad, poignant anti-war novel like no other, it is also one of the most powerful. The movie is pretty good too. Responsible for getting Dalton Trumbo put on the black list during the McCarthy era. This is a book to end all books about the horror of war. Read it at your peril - it might just make you into a pacifist. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
"There can be no question of the effectiveness of this book." "Mr. Trumbo sets this story down almost without pause or punctuation and without a fury amounting eloquence."
added by jimcripps | editNew York Times

He wished the phone would stop ringing.
This is a novel, not the film based thereon, nor the screenplay for the film.

This was no ordinary war. This was a war to make the world safe for democracy. And if democracy was made safe, then nothing else mattered-not the millions of dead bodies, nor the thousands of ruined lives…. This is no ordinary novel. This is a novel that never takes the easy way out: it is shocking, violent, terrifying, horrible, uncompromising, brutal, remorseless, and gruesome...but so is war.Johnny Got His Gun holds a place as one of the classic antiwar novels. First published in 1939, Dalton Trumbo's story of a young American soldier terribly maimed in World War I-he “survives” armless, legless, and faceless, but with his mind intact-was an immediate bestseller. This fiercely moving novel was a rallying point for many Americans who came of age during World War II, and it became perhaps the most popular novel of protest during the Vietnam era.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:16 -0400)

"Johnny Got His Gun" holds a place as one of the classic antiwar novels. First published in 1939, Dalton Trumbo's story of a young American soldier terribly maimed in World War I-- he "survives" armless, legless, and faceless, but with mind intact-- was an immediate bestseller. This fiercely moving novel was a rallying point for many Americans who came of age during World War II, and it became perhaps the most popular novel of protest during the Vietnam era. Citadel Underground's edition of "Johnny Got His Gun" features a powerful new introduction by Ron Kovic, author of "Born on the Fourth of July", and also includes an introduction by Dalton Trumbo. ""Johnny Got His Gun" still remains the most powerful piece of writing to influence me after Vietnam. Upon my return from the war, and after all these twenty-two years spent in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the mid-chest down, I've read many writers that have influenced my life profoundly-- Hemingway, Conrad, Tolstoy, Gandhi, Dr. Martin Luther King-- but there has been nothing out of that body of great literature to compare to this book... "Johnny Got His Gun" remains the most revolutionary, searing document against was and injustice ever written."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,516,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible