Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your…

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got… (1995)

by James W. Loewen

I'm nearly 5 hours into this book and he's still ranting about how the Indians were mistreated. Got it. Do you have any other points? Don't know, too bored to continue. ( )
  SSolheim | Jan 4, 2019 |
I was excited to read this book and was completely let down. The author is just as inaccurate and deceptive with his wording as the history books he tries to refute. That being said did he do this intentionally or out of ignorance or perhaps he has his own agenda? Whatever it may be, it was a huge disappointment and I'm sorry I bought it. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
I appreciate having someone who is willing to share the whole story, even if it isn't always popular. I may not agree with all of Mr. Loewen's reasons for why our textbooks so often get it wrong, but I agree with him completely that they are doing our children (and ourselves) a huge disservice by doing so. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
I hated history until a friend gave this to me. It changed not only my outlook on the topic, but developed my perspective on life, society, and my country. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 9, 2018 |
This book wasn't quite what I had anticipated. I think I went into my reading with the wrong expectations. I didn't realize, prior to reading, that this book is the result of Loewen's work reviewing various history books. I thought there would be more history and it felt more like a critique of the history books schools use. Had I approached the book with that mindset, I would probably have enjoyed it more than I did. Excellent title. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |

Loewen, James W.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keeler, BrianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It would be better not to know so many things than to know so many things that are not so. — Felix Okoye
American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful, and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it. — James Baldwin
Concealment of the historical truth is a crime against the people. — Gen. Petro G. Grigorenko, samizdat letter to a history journal, c. 1975, USSR
Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat the eleventh grade. — James W. Loewen
Dedicated to all American history teachers who teach against their textbooks (and their ranks are growing)
High school students hate history.
Which came first, civilization or the wilderness?
Students who have taken more mathematics courses are more proficient at math than other students. The same is true in English, foreign language studies, and almost every other subject. Only in history is stupidity the result of more, not less, schooling.
We don't want complicated icons.
This LT Work is the original edition of James Loewen's book, Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong (2007). Please do not combine it with the completely revised and updated edition (2007). Thank you.
CONTENTS:
Introduction: Something has gone very wrong--
Handicapped by history: the process of hero-making --
1493: the true importance of Christopher Columbus --
Truth about the first Thanksgiving --
Red eyes --
"Gone with the wind": the invisibility of racism in American history textbooks --
John Brown and Abraham Lincoln: the invisibility of antiracism in American history textbooks--
Land of opportunity--
Watching big brother: what textbooks teach about the federal government--
See no evil: choosing not to look at the War in Vietnam --
Down the memory hole: the disappearance of the recent past --
Progress is our most important product--
Why is history taught like this? --
What is the result of teaching history like this? --
Afterword: The future lies ahead--and what to do about them.

Winner of the 1996 American Book Award and the Oliver Cromwell Cox Award for Distinguished Anti-Racist Scholarship

Americans have lost touch with their history, and in this thought-provoking book, Professor James Loewen shows why. After surveying twelve leading high school American history texts, he has concluded that not one does a decent job of making history interesting or memorable. Marred by an embarrassing combination of blind patriotism, mindless optimism, sheer misinformation, and outright lies, these books omit almost all the ambiguity, passion, conflict, and drama from our past. In ten powerful chapters, Loewen reveals that:

The United States dropped three times as many tons of explosives in Vietman as it dropped in all theaters of World War II, including Hiroshima and Nagasaki Ponce de Leon went to Florida mainly to capture Native Americans as slaves for Hispaniola, not to find the mythical fountain of youth Woodrow Wilson, known as a progressive leader, was in fact a white supremacist who personally vetoed a clause on racial equality in the Covenant of the League of Nations The first colony to legalize slavery was not Virginia but Massachusetts

From the truth about Columbus's historic voyages to an honest evaluation of our national leaders, Loewen revives our history, restoring to it the vitality and relevance it truly possesses.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

Criticizes the way history is presented in current textbooks, and suggests a more accurate approach to teaching American history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,647,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible