Iorich by Steven Brust
4492023,262 (3.94)21

Iorich (In which Vlad must seek justice - but not too much of it) is set about eight years after Jhegaala and four years after Dzur. Vlad is back in Adrilankha because a friend has been arrested. Vlad is faced with a tangled web of mysteries (and also the idiosyncrasies of the Empire's legal system). What does the Empress hope to gain by bringing those charges against Aliera, and why are none of Aliera's friends doing anything to help? And how can Vlad solve all of this while avoiding the people in Adrilankha who are determined to kill him?

There’s less of Loiosh’s commentary, but all of my favourite characters make an appearance, so that was very satisfactory. From my perspective, that is; Vlad finds some of these interactions less than satisfactory.

I think this might be favourite of the Vlad books so far. The more of these books I read, the more I like them.

"What sort of bird is that?"
[Loiosh, to Vlad telepathically] "Okay, now I'm insulted."
"It's not a bird, it's a jhereg. A sort of flying reptile that eats dead things and makes sarcastic comments."
  Herenya | Jan 18, 2017 |
We're back in Drageara! Aliera is in jail and Vlad has to figure out how to get her out and why the Empress would jail her for something she knows she's been doing for years. We get to revisit with old friends along the way. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
In his 12 book of the Vlad Taltos series, Brust brings us back to Adrhilanka, Vlad's home and the stupidest place he could have gone. Still on the run, constantly looking over his shoulder for Jhereg assassins, when Vlad hears that his friend Aliera is in jail for a crime that all know she has commited but has always been ignored, he feels he has to go back to his city to help her out. What follows is an amusing romp during which he tries to outwit the assassins on his tail, a secretive group of sorceresses known as The Left Hand, the Orca, the Warlord, and The Empress. Oh and he also manages to learn a little about the law and spend a some time with his wife Cawti and there son.

This certainly wasn't the best book in the series, but like everything Brust writes, it was funny and filled with biting sarcasm, and lots of bantering between my two favorite characters in all of fantasy - Vlad and his familiar Loish. It's hard not to enjoy these books, even if you aren't a fan of the fantasy genre. This is one of those series (and authors for that matter) you don't here people talk about a lot, and I really wish they would. The writing is always good, the characters full of flaws but oh so enjoyable to read, and the stories unique. I highly recommend these books and his others, especially to fans of Neil Gaiman, who is conincidentally a good friend of Brust's. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
I remember not liking this very much the first time I read it, and now I can't imagine why, because it's all about one of my favorite things: the difference between law and justice, and when helping out your friends doesn't necessarily have anything to do with either one. It's got some excellent Vlad and Cawti bits, and it gets the whole gang back together again, and Loiosh is snarkily wonderful. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Oct 8, 2014 |
Vlad Taltos is an interesting character who now is getting long in the tooth. With his pet/familiar Jhereg Lorisch they are a Laurel and Hardy comedy act where their banter is striving to achieve an ease and familiarity of Beatrice and Benedict but falls short of that mark and we can see that Brust is now forcing this thinking it adds to his tales and universe.

But those days are gone as we read through the 12th full length tale of Vlad. Wondering if there will ever be final resolution in his life, or if Brust just needs to let it out, stringing his followers along. They are short tomes, when you compare it to the Wheel of Time, or Game of Thrones, but they are not near as complex except where Brust makes his plot complex.

Here he thinks that he has done so, but still the twists and turns are really only to give Vlad a complex time of it, and the plot itself makes little sense in the political scheme of things of his world building. It is more something you would see in our modern age where a new scandal is created so that an old scandal is taken out of the news cycle. All fabrication that is very flimsy for a proper Vlad story.

This series was very strong at one time, but now there are imitators and there the heroes don't need more than a dozen books to take control of their lives. Not even many of the people we all know in reality need so many years and so many books to do so. Well past time Mr. Brust to find direction and provide it to Vlad and us. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jun 9, 2014 |
Brust is able to skilfully blend a remarkable treatise on politics, law, justice, due process and even military ethics into a novel in which there is enough sword and sorcery to fill a dozen Vallejo paintings.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 12, 2010)

Steven Brustprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, Bernard SetaroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, Teresa NielsenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hickman, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Meridel Bianca
Even if things don't work the way you'd planned, it's good when you can take something useful away from the experience.
(prologue)
For a state to investigate the actions of its own military is, as no less than Lanya pointed out as far back as the Third Cycle, to either begin with a set of assumptions that will ultimately control the investigation, or to tangle one's self hopelessly in contradiction before beginning.
"As stupid moves go, Boss, this one isn't bad. I mean, comparatively."
"You expected me to launch a rebellion against the Empire?"

I considered that. "Yes," I said.

"I chose not to."
"Boss, you lie like an Issola."

"That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

House Jhereg, Dragaera's organized crime syndicate, is still hunting Vlad Taltos. There's a big price on his head in Draegara City. Then he hears disturbing news. Aliera--longtime friend, sometime ally--has been arrested by the Empire on a charge of practicing elder sorcery, a capital crime, and there appears to be no one that can help her except Vlad.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,706,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible