Zero History by William Gibson

Zero History (original 2010; edition 2010)

by William Gibson

Series: Blue Ant (3)

Member:mcuquet
Title:Zero History
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Viking (2010), Edició: First English Edition, Hardcover, 416 pàgines
Collections:Barcelona, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:lang:en, Literatura anglesa, Ciència ficció, Cyberpunk, autors nord-americans, autors canadencs, Thriller, Novel·la, Segle XXI, Espionatge, Espionatge industrial, Màrqueting

Zero History by William Gibson (2010)

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A new cycle of work from a master of future prediction.
    Jennifer Government by Max Barry (mcuquet)

English (46)  French (1)  All languages (47)
omg, what the hell? This book is the result of William Gibson getting interested in the concept of fashion, I think. I dunno, probably his most accessible in terms of the way his main character is written but pretty much no substantial plot/good ideas....
  bianca.sayan | Sep 29, 2014 |
Too soon to be more articulate than that I loved it and it tied the Blue Ant novels together in a way I didn't expect. Wonderful stuff. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
I was really looking forward to this book - it's taken me all week to read 120 pages and I feel like nothing has happened yet ... maybe I'm just not in the mood for it.
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
While there is still a heavy dose of the off-beat cultural and technological references, this book seemed to spend a bit more time devoted to fleshing out the major characters and establishing what is making them tick. You can take this to apply to the case of a once monolithic inscrutable corporation which ends up being sent off along a new trajectory by the end of it all. The reader has to pay attention to what's going on or risk getting rather lost along the way, what with all the threads that are in play simultaneously.

Is this third book in the Bigend series the last one? My hunch is that it will be, but I won't be upset if Gibson proves me wrong. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
Third book of the Blue Ant trilogy. Gibson plays with the technologies of the near tomorrow and shows the role and impact of them through an investigation after a pair of jeans.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Dec 5, 2013 |
This flatness is the strangest feature of the world of Zero History, and more generally of the trilogy it completes. There's no question that, taken together, these three books represent one of the first great novels of 21st-century data culture. But there's no dirt in view – no muss. The cities of Neuromancer were crumbling into a kipple of obsolete technology, litter and grime. Cyberspace – clean, rational, clutterless – offered an alternative reality for those with the skills and the technology to gain access, while the wealthy could escape to exclusive orbital country-club cantons. Now that the future is here, Gibson's readers, like his protagonists, seem condemned to cities that are all surface, while yearning for a glimpse of something seedier, stickier, more troubling.

William Gibsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
LaRoche, NicoleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Susan Allison, my editor.
Inchmale hailed a cab for her, the kind that had always been black, when she'd first known this city.
"But that's exactly it. Because they 'understand all that', they won't find the edge. They won't find the new. And worse, they'll trample on it, inadvertently crush it, beneath a certain mediocrity inherent in professional competence." [Hubertus Bigend: 24]
Reading, his therapist had suggested, had likely been his first drug. [Milgrim: 93]
She always found it peculiar to encounter a time she had actually lived through rendered as a period. It made her wonder whether she was living through another one, and if so, what it would be called. [Hollis Henry: 102]
There was something inherently cheerful about the buoyancy of a balloon, he thought. It must have been a wonderful day when they first discovered buoyant gases. He wondered what they'd put them in. Varnished silk, he guessed, for some reason picturing the courtyard at the Salon du Vintage. [Milgrim: 376]

Former rock singer Hollis Henry and ex-addict Milgrim, an accomplished linguist, are at the front line of a sinister proprietor's attempts to get a slice of the military budget. When a Department of Defense contract for combat-wear turns out to be the gateway drug for arms dealers, they gradually realize their employer has some very dangerous competitors--including Garreth, a ruthless ex-military officer with lots of friends. Set largely in London after our post-Crash times.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible