Burning Bright by Melissa Scott

Burning Bright (1993)

by Melissa Scott

Fictionwise multiformat ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Not bad! A lot of interesting social stuff going on here -- the entertainment prestige of roleplaying games (a notable gamer in Burning Bright's society has the kind of respect that a talented athlete gets in ours, really) is neat to imagine, and I really like the way that people can just be queer and not have that be a major issue.

The pacing felt somewhat awkward, though; it took a long time for the plot to ramp up and then it came to a pretty sudden stop at the end, with a much darker ending than I felt like we'd been prepared for. ( )
  LaylahHunter | Oct 7, 2012 |
Burning Bright is a good read.

While it is something of an interstellar political romp, it manages to remain smallish in scope. The Game - one single video game played across the galaxy - doesn't seem entirely interesting enough to keep people's attention.

There are a couple of really charming artwork installations described, and I enjoyed the idea that in this particular universe, nearly everyone is bisexual (it's always rather seemed to me that people would eventually lean that way).

When the dying character finally dies, the characters who should mourn the most don't really seem to. Their cavalier attitudes were a bit jarring to me.

Overall, though, I do recommend this book! It's a great little light sci-fi novel with very rich and detailed world-building by Scott. ( )
  goblinbox | Jun 10, 2010 |
The planet Burning Bright has a nice, central location for trade. It is also home to a lot of virtual gaming. A young gamemaster debuts one of her new scenarios here, and becomes an overnight sensation.

She attracts the attention of the glitterati and some of the more dangerous higher ups in society, and is embroiled in some dodgy situations because of this.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2006/12/burning-bright-melissa-scott.html ( )
  bluetyson | Dec 28, 2006 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible