Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

Zeitoun (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dave Eggers

Member:diana.n
Title:Zeitoun
Authors:Dave Eggers
Info:McSweeney's (2009), Hardcover, 342 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (2009)

What Is the What by Dave Eggers (jmarsico)
    A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge by Josh Neufeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Neufeld's compelling graphic novel depicts the effects of Hurricane Katrina through the true stories of seven of the city's residents.
    1 Dead in Attic: After Katrina by Chris Rose (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A columnist for the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Rose delves into the aftereffects of the storm on his adopted city in this compelling collection of essays.
    Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans by Dan Baum (bdav1818)
    Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Both books are fascinating and heartbreaking looks at how much went wrong as Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.
    Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Story of the hurricane in Galveston in 1900 resulting in unexpected and devastating flooding
    A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster by Rebecca Solnit (Othemts)
    Proved Innocent by Gerry Conlon (Othemts)
    The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim Defede (LynnB)
    LynnB: Story of ordinary people, like Mr. Zeitoun, who made a difference.
    The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by Greg Palast (Othemts)

English (136)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (144)
Book on CD performed by Firdous Bamji.

This is a true story of what happened to one family in Post-Katrina New Orleans.

Kathy and Abdulrahman Zeitoun own and operate a contracting firm specializing in remodeling and refurbishing homes. In August 2005 as Hurricane Katrina heads for New Orleans, Kathy flees the city with their four young children, eventually winding up with friends in Phoenix. Abdulrahman (commonly known by his last name, Zeitoun) remains behind to watch over their properties. After the storm he paddles around the city in his canoe, helping numerous elderly neighbors escape, checking on the properties of various friends and clients, and caring for neighborhood pets that have been left behind. There is a working phone in one of the properties he owns, and Zeitoun faithfully calls Kathy each day at noon. He also speaks with his brother and sisters in Europe.

Kathy and his siblings urge Zeitoun to leave. They are watching news reports that show increasing chaos and they fear for his safety. But Zeitoun assures them that he is nowhere near the looting, the stadium, or the convention center. He has food and water and shelter, and two friends. He is fine, and he is doing good helping others.

Then, on Sept 6 the phone calls abruptly stop. He has simply disappeared. The city has completely shut down; Kathy cannot call the police or fire department or FEMA or the National Guard for help. She can only wait for word. Days turn to weeks….

This is a fascinating and infuriating story. I was shocked, stunned, angry, heartbroken, dismayed and completely riveted by the tale. Eggers does a great job putting the reader into the setting – the peace and quiet of no electronics, the heat and humidity, the stench of rotting vegetation, and the unsettling sight of armed men patrolling (?) your once-peaceful neighborhood.

Firdous Bamji does a marvelous job narrating the audio book. He has good pacing and his performance enhances the reader’s impression of Zeitoun as a thoughtful, faithful man, an everyman’s hero. And the way he voices Kathy when she has finally had ENOUGH, and starts yelling at the Homeland Security people … well, I wanted to stand up and cheer! ( )
  BookConcierge | May 12, 2016 |
Returned before really finishing, although I did skim through to the end to see what happened. Reads like a poorly written fiction novel, although it is billed as nonfiction. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
Though I enjoyed Dave Eggers' What is the What?, I was never entirely comfortable with the genre, which, like Zeitoun, takes the form of a non-fiction novel. In that first work, I was not always sure who was speaking, Eggers or the protagonist, Achak, and I was perpetually unclear about how much was fact and how much was the fictional glue required to hold it together. The approach did serve the storytelling: it was fascinating and very readable.

With Zeitoun, I was initially comfortable with this same tension, and it was not long before I was totally buying Eggers' thesis about this quintessentially American man, hardworking and dedicated deeply to his religion, his family, his property, and his enterprise, who ultimately encounters a darker America, where one's treatment is less a function of guilt or innocence, and more about one's name, ethnicity, and religion.

At that point in my reading, I did some supplementary research about Hurricane Katrina, and the Zeitouns themselves, and discovered what any quick internet search will reveal, that after Katrina, Abdulrahman and Kathy Zeitoun's relationship descended into acrimony, domestic abuse, and eventually divorce and violated restraining orders. In the book their relationship comes across as a much tried, but resilient pillar of strength in the midst of the post-Katrina failure of American society and institutions. Although Kathy Zeitoun has indicated that Eggers did describe their marriage pretty much as it was during that brief window covered by the book, she has since said that she was abused by her husband prior to the events depicted.

This supplmentary information, in and of itself, did not discredit the Katrina-related events of Zeitoun, but once I was aware of it, how could I possibly have continued to empathize with Abdulrahman as a victim? The entire edifice of the book became as leaky as a Louisiana levee, and my focus inevitably moved from the story itself to the limitations of how the story was told. Would a more traditional journalistic treatment have uncovered the details that Zeitoun missed? Does the necessity of forcing a fictionalized narration on real events and people necessarily result in an oversimplified interpretation? Does it force the subjects to reveal only what will support that interpretation? And if the published story widely misses the mark, what is the impact on those who were misrepresented or who misrepresented themselves?

In considering these questions, I thought of the brilliant Behind the Beautiful Forevers, for which Katherine Boo spent three years with her subjects. Her book demonstrates that the non-fiction novel can succeed in incorporating many viewpoints and complexities. Handled with enough artistry, effort, and care, this genre is more than just a vehicle for immersing the reader in other, real people's lives, it can also provide a way to successfully capture something resembling the tangled intricacy of the human situation. Who knows how or why Zeitoun failed? In that moment of extraordinary upheaval when it was written, likely all involved acted to some degree in good faith. It may have just proven too fraught a challenge for the time and resources that were brought to the task. ( )
  maritimer | Sep 13, 2015 |
** spoiler alert **

Well-written, engaging, heartbreaking book. Given all that has happened to the Zeitoun family since the book was published, it makes me wonder how much was intentionally whitewashed by Eggers or the Zeitouns, versus how much emotional and mental damage Katrina and its aftermath inflicted. We will likely never know the answer. Regardless, this books gives a raw, harrowing account of New Orleans in the post-Katrina chaos, and while difficult to stomach, I am grateful for knowing more of the truth of the dystopia that emerged after the storm. ( )
  grkmwk | Aug 31, 2015 |
This book gives a good account of one man's life during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. I was living in a media vacuum during Hurricane Katrina, so I really never got the idea of how horrible things were in New Orleans after the storm. It is really saddening that in many ways the storm brought out the worst in humanity. I guess I have an idealistic notion that when disaster strikes people will band together and rise above what nature has thrown at them.

I originally gave this book four stars, but I am trying to be more conservative with my ratings. I found the writing to be a little dry compared with other things I have read by Eggers, and in some parts I just wasn't very captivated by the way the story was told. Despite the three star rating, I would still recommend it. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
In “Zeitoun,” what Dave Eggers has found in the Katrina mud is the full-fleshed story of a single family, and in telling that story he hits larger targets with more punch than those who have already attacked the thematic and historic giants of this disaster. It’s the stuff of great narrative nonfiction.

"Zeitoun" is a warm, exciting and entirely fresh way of experiencing Hurricane Katrina.

Eggers' sympathy for Zeitoun is as plain and real as his style in telling the man's story. He doesn't try to dazzle with heartbreaking pirouettes of staggering prose; he simply lets the surreal and tragic facts speak for themselves.

Dave Eggersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sumpter, RachellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...in the history of the world it might even be that there was more punishment than crime...
Cormac McCarthy, The Road

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Mark Twain
For Abdulrahman, Kathy, Zachary, Nademah, Aisha, Safiya, and Ahmad in New Orleans.

For Ahmad, Antonia, Lutfi, and Laila in Málaga.

For Kousay, Nada, Mahmoud, Zakiya, Luay, Eman, Fahzia, Fatimah, Aisha, Munah, Nasibah, and all the Zeitouns of Jableh, Lattakia, and Arwad Island.

For the people of New Orleans.
On moonless nights the men and boys of Jableh, a dusty fishing town on the coast of Syria, would gather their lanterns and set out in their quietest boats.
...in de geschiedenis van de wereld is er misschien wel meer straf geweest dan misdaad...
Cormac McCarthy, The Road (De weg)

Voor wie een hamer heeft, lijkt alles op een spijker.
Mark Twain

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, longtime New Orleans residents Abdulrahman and Kathy Zeitoun are cast into an unthinkable struggle with forces beyond wind and water. In the days after the storm, Abdulrahman traveled the flooded streets in a secondhand canoe, passing on supplies and helping those he could. A week later, on September 6, 2005, Zeitoun abruptly disappeared-- arrested and accused of being an agent of al Qaeda.… (more)

552 wanted6 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible