Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

Zeitoun (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Dave Eggers

2,653None2,233 (4.12)272
Member:diana.n
Title:Zeitoun
Authors:Dave Eggers
Info:McSweeney's (2009), Hardcover, 342 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (2009)

2009 (18) 2010 (20) Arab Americans (15) biography (117) book club (15) disaster (24) ebook (24) family (24) fiction (53) history (30) hurricanes (39) injustice (19) Islam (34) Katrina (235) Louisiana (33) McSweeney's (19) memoir (25) Muslim (25) Muslims (19) natural disasters (17) New Orleans (235) non-fiction (310) prison (25) racism (27) read (27) read in 2010 (16) read in 2011 (16) Syria (27) to-read (50) USA (42)
    What Is the What by Dave Eggers (jmarsico)
    1 Dead in Attic: After Katrina by Chris Rose (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A columnist for the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Rose delves into the aftereffects of the storm on his adopted city in this compelling collection of essays.
    A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster by Rebecca Solnit (Othemts)
    Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Both books are fascinating and heartbreaking looks at how much went wrong as Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.
    A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge by Josh Neufeld (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Neufeld's compelling graphic novel depicts the effects of Hurricane Katrina through the true stories of seven of the city's residents.
    In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four: Tie-In by Gerry Conlon (Othemts)
    The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim Defede (LynnB)
    LynnB: Story of ordinary people, like Mr. Zeitoun, who made a difference.
    The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by Greg Palast (Othemts)
    Nine Lives: Death and Life in New Orleans by Dan Baum (bdav1818)

English (121)  Dutch (5)  German (2)  All languages (128)
This was too much of a one-sided fluff piece, a problem of so many journalists, for my taste. The story had potential but Eggers couldn't pull it off. ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
I could not put this book down (I read it in just a few sittings) but I did not actually like it. The story was gripping but the style of writing was irritating. [b:Zeitoun|6512154|Zeitoun|Dave Eggers|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1296580156s/6512154.jpg|6703901] is about a man named Zeitoun and it is also about the natural disaster Hurricane Katrina, and the civil disaster that followed. (Civil disaster, what is a better term?). It pretty much deserves all the acclaim and praise it got, I’m just picky.

Eggers' portrait of Zeitoun is of a strong, driven, and sympathetic hero wrongfully imprisoned in the aftermath of Katrina due to racial profiling & controversial post 9/11 policing. He is likable, I liked him. Kathy, Zeitoun’s wife, I didn’t like. I think she came across as a dramatic pity-me/victim. Coupled with the sensational style and short sentences of Eggers’ prose, I found the bits about Kathy kind of annoying. I admit I started skimming when narration switched back to Kathy. I also admit that I am being dismissive about her emotional suffering, but this is my review and that is just what I thought.

The book succeeds in getting the reader enraged by how terribly many citizens of New Orleans were treated in the aftermath of Katrina - the disorganization & lack of relief help by FEMA on one hand, and the depressingly efficient abuse of power by the law enforcement on the other. Zeitoun (the man) serves as an excellent witness to both, and Eggers is wise to focus a book about Katrina on the remarkable experiences of one man. But while Zeitoun's personal story is a key factor in why the book is so powerful and accessible, I sometimes found the “emotional narrative” distracting and annoying.

Several years ago I read [b:A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius|4953|A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius|Dave Eggers|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327714834s/4953.jpg|42857] and I loved it. Like Zeitoun, it is non-fiction about a person who finds himself in a rather unique situation. The two books have completely different writing styles (fittingly, based on the contrast in subject matter). A Heartbreaking Work was hilarious! Eggers took a simple topic (his young adulthood) and turned it into a funny and interesting book. Zeitoun on the other hand, took an interesting topic (the post-Katrina nightmare & the account of a muslim man living it) and, in my eyes, turned it into a sensationalist, mediocre book - because of the style of writing. Zeitoun is part journalism/part profile and I read it as if it were “new journalism.” I recognize that a common trait of New Journalism is subjectivity, and I usually do not mind that (especially if I agree with the author’s stance, and I do in Zeitoun) but I know Eggers as a humorous writer and I wish he’d used that voice rather than the dramatic tone I felt the book took on. OK, its unfair of me to want Eggers to always write humor, but that’s not exactly what I’m saying. I believe (as objectively as I can) that Zeitoun would have been a “better” book if it hadn’t been so sensationalist.

So that’s what I think.

I wish I’d read this book earlier, like within the year it came out, just cause then Katrina would have been fresh in my mind. That said, if I’d read the book back in 2009 I probably wouldn’t have googled his name in the Fall of 2012 (which I did after finishing the book) and then I wouldn’t have discovered this shocking article:

Since the Zeitoun was published, Zeitoun violently assaulted his wife, gotten divorced, and then allegedly plotted to have Kathy & her son murdered. Wow.

I have just complained about how Eggers wrote about the aftermath of Zeitoun in the aftermath of Katrina because it was too much about the emotions of the characters, and I stand by that. But if Eggers were to rewrite/add-on to the Aftermath focusing on the characters I think that would be highly appropriate and quite interesting! (Perhaps he has, perhaps I read an old edition of the book.)

Again, that’s what I think. The end.
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
This is one of those books that everyone should have to read, if for no other reason than to be aware that things like this happen in our country. It's amazing, the feeling of helpless rage that rises up while reading about the things that happened to these poor people. As if the hurricane didn't do enough destruction on its own, the way the "relief" and "rescue" was handled was pathetic; an absolute mess. And the very fact that I had never heard about things like this happening tells me that there was probably a lot of effort put into keeping these stories silent.

Everyone should read this book. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Even leaving aside the true nature of Mr Zeitoun's character in light of events that have transpired since this book was published (and anyone reading this book will come away thinking the portrayal is startling uncritical even without knowledge of subsequent allegations) I thought this a disappointing read. The prose is incredibly simplistic and rather boring as a result. Certainly, it makes it easy to read and I assume Eggers' was trying to write it in a way that mimics Zeitoun's basic way of speaking English as a second language, but it didn't make for an interesting read. In fact it makes the whole book feel like an incredibly long New Yorker article, which is fine for a magazine format but not for a full length volume.

The events portrayed are certainly horrific, though until Zeitoun is picked up by the authorities 2/3 of the way through the novel, the story doesn't seem all that bad or riveting. After that point Kathy's histrionics magnify, probably rightly, and I admit I found it tedious and wish the author had toned it down. The "point" of the book felt like a long time coming; it's certainly awful when you get there, but Eggers' simple style of writing and detached viewpoint fails to add weight to the significant issues raised. It felt like a very lightweight treatment of major concerns.

All in all, while Katrina and its aftermath were horrid affairs, I don't think this is the book to do the subject justice. It's an accessible, decent read, but nothing of real worth. ( )
  DRFP | Nov 1, 2013 |
I found this book incredibly slow moving. It could have made an excellent article, even two, but as a book it seemed quite well-padded. It's almost worth keeping, however, for the cover alone: the stark, hard-edged design in four colours and silver-gilt reminds me of Edwardian bindings, albeit far more cheaply produced. ( )
1 vote muumi | Oct 20, 2013 |
In “Zeitoun,” what Dave Eggers has found in the Katrina mud is the full-fleshed story of a single family, and in telling that story he hits larger targets with more punch than those who have already attacked the thematic and historic giants of this disaster. It’s the stuff of great narrative nonfiction.

"Zeitoun" is a warm, exciting and entirely fresh way of experiencing Hurricane Katrina.

Eggers' sympathy for Zeitoun is as plain and real as his style in telling the man's story. He doesn't try to dazzle with heartbreaking pirouettes of staggering prose; he simply lets the surreal and tragic facts speak for themselves.

Dave Eggersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...in the history of the world it might even be that there was more punishment than crime...
Cormac McCarthy, The Road

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Mark Twain
For Abdulrahman, Kathy, Zachary, Nademah, Aisha, Safiya, and Ahmad in New Orleans.

For Ahmad, Antonia, Lutfi, and Laila in Málaga.

For Kousay, Nada, Mahmoud, Zakiya, Luay, Eman, Fahzia, Fatimah, Aisha, Munah, Nasibah, and all the Zeitouns of Jableh, Lattakia, and Arwad Island.

For the people of New Orleans.
On moonless nights the men and boys of Jableh, a dusty fishing town on the coast of Syria, would gather their lanterns and set out in their quietest boats.
...in de geschiedenis van de wereld is er misschien wel meer straf geweest dan misdaad...
Cormac McCarthy, The Road (De weg)

Voor wie een hamer heeft, lijkt alles op een spijker.
Mark Twain

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, longtime New Orleans residents Abdulrahman and Kathy Zeitoun are cast into an unthinkable struggle with forces beyond wind and water. In the days after the storm, Abdulrahman traveled the flooded streets in a secondhand canoe, passing on supplies and helping those he could. A week later, on September 6, 2005, Zeitoun abruptly disappeared-- arrested and accused of being an agent of al Qaeda.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible