Thanksgiving at the Inn by Tim C. Whitney

Thanksgiving at the Inn (edition 2009)

by Tim C. Whitney

Member:MissMac
Title:Thanksgiving at the Inn
Authors:Tim C. Whitney
Info:Bancroft Press (2009), Hardcover, 223 pages
Rating:*

Thanksgiving at the Inn by Tim Whitney

Quick, light, fluffy read. ( )
  sarahbrassard | Jun 20, 2014 |
Summary: Heath Wellington the III's wealthy grandfather, a man he never knew, meets an untimely death after accidentally falling from a rooftop. Since, his mother split, Heath and his father, an aspiring writer, have been barely able to make ends meet. With this unfortunate news, comes the high aspirations of a potential inheritance and a richer life. Honestly, who really cares if they can't seem to get along? Money fixes everything, right? However, their bubble is quickly burst, with the reading of the will. You see, since Heath Wellington Sr aka "Senior" and Health's dad "Junior" had been estranged for over ten years, Senior's decided to put some major stipulations on their inheritance. In order to receive his father's estate, Junior must take "...a new direction in life- by successfully managing Senior's bed and breakfast, with Health, for the next three months." Is Senior just trying to control Junior's life, even from his grave, or did actually have a grander plan?

Ramblings: Thanksgiving at the Inn is a middle grade book littered with unusual characters.Sally, a tattoo ridden ex-con moonlighting as a children's book writer, Winsted, a Jamaican preacher with a rap sheet, Carter, a secret Harvard Graduate and finally Mrs Ferrel a kindly old woman who is giving away her dead husband's fortunes to charity, one letter at a time, ALL are tenants at the Sleepy Inn. The story is told from a 12 year old boy's perspective. Not unlike most tweens, Heath's having a trying time getting along with his father and it isn't helping that he's recently been suspended from school for cheating. With the news of "Senior's" passing, Heath witnesses his father's mood go from bad to worse and he's taking it all out on him. The stipulations set forth in the will, send Heath and his father cross country to manage his grandfather's Inn for three months. During Heath's stay, at The Sleepy Inn, he develops a special bond with each one of the eccentric tenants. The story takes place around Thanksgiving for good reason. Being thankful for what you have and the importance/strength of family are common themes brought out in this holiday story. The only drawback was the ending being slightly anti-climatic. Though it wrapped the story up neatly, it still felt slightly rushed. The reader is left with some unanswered questions. It would have been nice if the author had explored deeper how Junior and Senior had become estranged. Despite this minor flaw, though, Thanksgiving at the Inn is a delightful read which should help most anyone get into the holiday spirit.

Recommendations: The age group this story was intended for was 9-12 year olds. I'm not convinced the younger crowd would appreciate the story and relate to the main character. Heath may be slightly too serious, the story and plot line above their heads. I'd say the middle grade reader, boy or girl would certainly enjoy this piece. In addition, adults in general would find the messages and story worth there time, too. So give it a try, especially during the holidays because reading Thanksgiving at the Inn just may help the holiday season become even more meaningful. ( )
  sgcallaway1994 | Dec 12, 2010 |
I really enjoyed this story. The characters are fun and I could relate to the struggle between Heath and his father. I could definitely see myself picking this book up each year at Thanksgiving time. Surprising that this is Tim Whitney's first book. ( )
  ldrumm16 | Dec 3, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pretty sweet boo, defo for kids, they will like the nice simple story, it has good morals. The only thing i didnt like is that the Preacher character has a Jamaican accent and this was typed out phonically, I am not a fan of this as I think it distracts from the flow of reading a book. Also the character development was lacking but this could have been due to it being a kinda kids book. All in all an ok book which i would recommend to friends kids.
  TheGoodbyeGirl | Nov 11, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think that the two words that sum this book up are sweet and heartwarming. Yet, not swarmy sweet! I really enjoyed reading it though I had to wonder if the author had a formula or plan for all the "issues" he wanted to include. Another concern is that I could not quite figure out what age group this would be good for. It seemed to be on about the level of 5th or 6th grade in terms of construct, but the topic seemed more geared to older readers. I like the fact that both boys and girls could read it, and I think it would be a great book for a class in Massachusetts to be reading. Coincidentally, my town came up and of course it is always fun to read something that is set in a familiar location close to home.

There's a lot of good ways to use this book for meaningful discussion either in a classroom, or a reading group, or as a family. The ending is predictable, but how we got there was not. I also think the characters very much came to life as individuals and how they clicked together. A sequel would be nice... in fact a series would be fine by me!! ( )
  hrabbit | Nov 5, 2009 |
This was a sweet book, it wasnt complex or difficult and most children could grasp the context of the story. The only thing i had a problem with is i am not a fan of speech typed out with an accent.

Other than that it was an ok book.
added by TheGoodbyeGirl | editme, TheGoodbyeGirl (Nov 11, 2009)

The quirky characters who gather around the Thanksgiving table at the inn help each other learn the true meaning of gratitude. As they face their struggles, they teach each other to be grateful for life's many blessings. Told through the eyes of young Heath, this is a story of family values, of coming together, and of learning life lessons too easily forgotten. An inspiring tale of fathers and sons and the strangers in their lives.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tim Whitney's book Thanksgiving at the Inn was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible