Primitive by Mark Nykanen

Primitive

by Mark Nykanen

After the first couple of chapters, I truthfully wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish it -- I wasn't too sure what was happening, and I was even less sure that I cared. I stuck with it though, and was rewarded. I think the book gets dramatically better about a third of the way in, and from then on is fairly enjoyable.

Good premise, reminded me a little of the book Michael Crichton wrote that was sortof a climate-change-based thriller. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Couldn't get through it ( )
  meesterserg | Jan 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not my cup of tea! Couldn't get through it and I rarely let go of a book very easily. ( )
  nawatramani | Oct 1, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt like this story had been told before. Full of cliches and entirely predictable. ( )
  townelin | Feb 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A 40-something fashion model, an eco-terrorist group and a governmental plot to hide devastating information regarding global warming - all the hallmarks of a good political thriller, right? Well, not really. Nykanen was, perhaps, a bit overly ambitious in his attempts to create a timely, fast-paced thriller. While this book might make a good beach read (or snowed-in weekend read), the elements that create this book do not really hang together. First, who wants to read about an over-the-hill fashion model? [SPOILER ALERT] The premise that models are easy targets for abduction (because their bookers don't really check out every assignment) is interesting. However, the idea that an eco-terrorist group might abduct an older model because she represents the the problems with modern day consumption seemed a bit far fetched. Second, it is a gamble to create an enviromental thriller based on one element - it very much dates the book to 2007-2009. While Nykanen constructed some exciting chase scenes with hide-and-seek between animal rights and eco-terrorist groups and a bounty hunter, basing the great mystery of the story around one governmental report was a risk that didn't pay off. ( )
  AmyBHenderson | Oct 12, 2010 |

Sonya Adams steps into a limo at a Montana airport expecting to be driven to her next modeling assignment. Minutes later she realizes she's been tricked and kidnapped. Plunged into the world of a neo-primitive survivalist cult in the snow-locked mountains of the Pacific Northwest, Sonya becomes a pawn in their mission to reveal a doomsday environmental secret--a secret the government and the energy corporations will kill to keep.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mark Nykanen's book Primitive was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bell Bridge Books

An edition of this book was published by Bell Bridge Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,317,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible