The Five Greatest Warriors (Jack West Junior…

The Five Greatest Warriors (Jack West Junior 3) (edition 2010)

by Matthew Reilly

Member:aliklein
Title:The Five Greatest Warriors (Jack West Junior 3)
Authors:Matthew Reilly
Info:Orion (2010), Paperback, 544 pages
Rating:**
Tags:adventure stories, audiobook, action, thriller

The Five Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly

The Five Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly
Book 3 in the Jack West Junior Series
5 Stars and a Favourite.

It is difficult to write a review for this book without it becoming a spoiler for book 2, please be aware you need to read this series in order to get the most from it (and this is saying something for someone who is usually happy to read a series out of order)!

In the book they are attempting to rebuild the final prices of an Ancient 'Machine', as this is the only thing that can prevent a global catastrophe. This in involves research into various Ancient Texts, as well as solving puzzles, researching famous historical figures (including Jesus and Genghis Khan to name but two) and loads of high octane adventure including fights with Megalomaniacs.

Throughout the book Matthew uses great ingenuity to solve puzzles akin to Raiders of the Lost Ark type puzzles involving numerous traps set for the unwary treasure hunters. I feel there is also good characterisation in the books, with characters you come to like and care about. Just be careful who you tie your allegiances to, unlike some authors he is not averse to killing off main characters.

This has to be one of the most action packed books I have read especially since the background and plot was set up in the previous book. Whilst it can be read as a standalone (there is a summary of the 2 previous books at the beginning), but to get the best out of these books you need to read all three books. In Matthew Reilly's words he keep trying to top himself 'with each book and come up with the fastest most out-of-control action-adventure stories imaginable'. All I can say is mission accomplished!

There is some good historical backdrop to these books (as I like with my action-adventure books), but as Matthew Reilly states in an interview at the back of the book only about 85% of this is factual and 15% made up. Again to quote him, 'if I've done my job as an author, you won't be able to tell the real from the fake'. He is right to state, in my opinion, 'it is the story that counts'.

I cannot recommend these books highly enough, so if you like action books, books with a historical back drop, books about completing quests and saving puzzles, or fighting off megalomaniacs this is the book and series for you!

Don't delay, read today. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Book Description IT BEGAN WITH SIX STONES . . . From the deserts of Israel to the tsunami-lashed coasts of Japan, from the steppes of Mongolia to the most mysterious island on Earth—this is what we have come to expect from Matthew Reilly: stupendous action, white-knuckle suspense, heroes to cheer for, and an adventure beyond imagination. Strap yourself in and hold on tight as he unleashes his biggest and fastest adventure yet, The 5 Greatest Warriors. When we last left Jack West Jr., he was plummeting into a fathomless abyss and his quest to save the world from impending Armageddon appeared doomed. But all hope is not lost. After an astonishing escape, Jack regroups with his trusty team. Racing to rebuild the final pieces of the fabled “Machine,” they discover an ancient inscription containing a rhyme about five mysterious unnamed warriors—great historical figures whose knowledge will be vital to unlocking the secrets of the Machine and its long-lost “pillars.” But the ancients have hidden their secrets well, and with each pillar bestowing an incredible power upon its holder, their pursuit has attracted the attention of other forces from around the world—some who want to rule it and others who want to see it destroyed. With enemies coming at him from every side and the countdown to doomsday rapidly approaching, Jack and his team had better move fast. Because they are about to find out what the end of the world looks like . . .

My Review The challenge continues in this book where the last book ended with a major cliffhanger. In my opinion, this is the best book in the trilogy as it is non-stop action and the ending ties everything up nicely. Some characters are true heroes but the ones that are bad are really evil which makes the book hard to put down and very exciting. Some happenings are totally unbelievable but you have suspend your belief and just enjoy the ride. I now look forward to reading more books by Reilly. I recommend this trilogy to those who love adventure tales. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Matthew Reilly books are always a rip-roaring boy's own adventure that anyone can read in a couple of sessions. He really does have the preposterous adventure genre down pat. I love them! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Another thoroughly enjoyable read from Matthew Reilly and again I found myself keeping late nights in an effort to stay abreast of the adventures of Huntsman and all his gang.

If you want to read just for the fun of it, I thoroughly recommend Matthew Reilly’s books. I did not like reading at school and nearly fifty years later I am still fussy with my reading material.
  DCarlin | Jan 22, 2016 |
Have to say I'm exhausted!! I've raced the clock, travelled the world, been involved in more deaths than I can count on 2 hands, defeated the baddies, saved the world AND have loved every minute!!!! Thanks for a great ride, Mr Reilly. It's a shame I have to come back to reality. Can't wait for more Jack West Jr. adventures. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to all the men and women who serve in the Australian Defence Force.
Jack West fell.

Jack regroups with his trusty team, and discovers an ancient inscription containing a rhyme about five mysterious unnamed warriors whose knowedge will be vital to unlocking the secrets of the Machine and its long-lost "pillars."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,107,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible