Murder by the Book by Rex Stout

Murder by the Book (1951)

by Rex Stout (Author)

Series: Nero Wolfe (19)

This is the first Nero Wolfe I've read, and I greatly enjoyed it...the snappy dialogue...hmm, as I think about what else I liked, that's really the main thing. The characters, yes, but mainly as defined by their dialogue. The mystery was good but the ending felt a little rushed. When I got to the end of this book, it seemed like there should be one more twist. I wonder if that's because I've become used to contemporary mysteries - are there more red herrings, or "fake endings" today? Or was it just this particular book? I'll have to read some more and see... ( )
  4hounds | Aug 21, 2014 |
Excellent detective fiction, set in the early 1900's. The way the characters interact with police and the roles of the men and women in the office present an interesting contrast to current situations. Very good wrap up at the end! ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jul 3, 2014 |
What's the connection between the deaths of a pretty young publishing assistant, a legal clerk and a professional typist? When Wolfe and Archie learn that they all died because they had read an unpublished novel, they must try to prevent a fourth murder. One of my favorites in the series, probably because the story is set up so adroitly. ( )
  Bjace | Sep 26, 2011 |
Murder By the Book, by Rex Stout, is the 19th Nero Wolfe novel in chronological order as I'm trying to read them, published in 1950. In it, three deaths occur in fairly quick succession: a clerk in a law office is found in the river; a young woman who works at a publishing house is evidently run over; and a typist-for-hire falls from her office window to the ground far below. At first, the police assume that these are unrelated, until they uncover a list of names in the law clerk's apartment, which is duly brought to Nero Wolfe's attention for his ideas. He has none, other than that the names might prove to be aliases, but when ties to that name appear in the lives of the two young women who have also died, something smells fishy, and it's up to Wolfe and his sidekick Archie Goodwin to find out what that something is, as usual....I quite liked this one, as there was a good bit of humour at the expense of lawyers, and some interesting information about how the publishing business worked 60 years ago. I'd put it in the mid-range of the Nero Wolfe novels - not spectacular, but not at all sloppy either. Just good detecting fun. Recommended, as always! ( )
1 vote thefirstalicat | Apr 4, 2011 |
A nice, traditional Nero Wolf novel - always such a pleasure to read and reread. ( )
  MaryWJ | Dec 20, 2010 |

Stout, RexAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Handler, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Something remarkable happened that cold Tuesday in January.
He had the jaw of a prizefighter and the frame of a retired jockey and the hungriest pair of eyes I ever saw -- not hungry the way a dog looks at a bone you're holding up but the way a cat looks at a bird in a cage. (Chapter 11)

When everyone who has read Leonard Dykes's unpublished manuscript--including the author himself--is found dead, Nero Wolfe, along with his sidekick, decides to set a trap.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:48 -0400)

Nero Wolfe is asked to discover why a law office clerk has been murdered, along with three others, for the unlikely offense of submitting a manuscript for publication.

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

24 wanted1 pay5 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,260,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible