Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Ghost Hunter

by Michelle Paver

Series: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (book 6)

To fulfill his destiny, Torak must defy demons and tokoroths, navigate through the Gorge of the Hidden People, and battle the evil Eagle Owl Mage.
Recently added byprivate library, ArdizzoneFan, Mspence9, alvkullen, hivetrick, doopster, evefrost76

4.05
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
I had to rush the end of this series somewhat as I have a hefty booklist to get through for work. Consequently I read the bulk of this story in one sitting on my day off. I wish I always had a chance to do this. Instead of snatching a couple of pages at bedtime, I was able to let the story carry me through, giving me a better appreciation of the pacing and the flow of events.
Ghost Hunter brought the series to a satisfying conclusion in the exciting manner to which we have come to expect from Michelle Paver. The characters are engaging, the scenery breathtaking - a character in its own right - and the plot gripping.
These six stories would make an excellent set of movies!
Highly recommend to readers of all ages. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
I'm glad I stuck with this series right to the end. Although the series dragged a bit through the middle, the pace picked up again and came to a strong finish. I would say that this was one of the best in the series. There are little things that were thrown in to resolve pending issues with no other resolution - maybe a little too conveniently, but they would be small nitpicks and I'm not going to detail them here for fear of spoiling events. ( )
  Peace2 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Okay, this book totally redeems the series. It is at least as well done as the first book of the series (Wolf Brother).

With as little as I liked the fourth and fifth books in this series, I wonder if I just don't like middle books. I'm one of those people who thinks The Empire Strikes Back is incredibly boring, and I'd just rather get to the Ewoks, thank you very much. (Incidentally, I also still think of the Star Wars movies as a trilogy. They start with IV and end with VI, and that's enough for me.) It's possible that's what's gone on with this series for me.

So, what do I think is better about this book?

More vivid descriptions. I was able to visualize the setting again like I wasn't able to when I read the fourth and fifth books. The moths, the ice storm, the craggy mountain trails, the forest, the reindeer...I could see them all.

Tighter plot. Maybe it's because Paver knew she was wrapping up the series with this book, but it's just put together better than the book before it. I could see the trajectory of the story and there didn't seem to be as many distractions. And Paver brought back elements from the first books and kind of tied things together, which can sometimes be cheesy or tedious, this was neither tedious nor cheesy. Except for one character towards the end who seemed a little tacked on, Paver showed in an un-forced way how things all fit together.

Of course, this might be a bit misleading for younger readers because it implies that greater clarity comes with age, which I've not found to be the case, at least not in any dramatic way. But that's a flaw of many books for teens/young adults. And what's really the alternative? A book that admits that the confusion and fear kids feel isn't likely to go away, but instead just morph as time passes? That no answers are revealed when they pass through the veil to adulthood? That there in fact isn't even a veil to pass through and you don't even know you're a grown-up until suddenly one day you realize you have been for a while now and you totally missed the transition? Even I wouldn't read a book like that. Or I guess I would---it's actually the kind of literary fiction towards which I usually gravitate---I just wouldn't read it to my eight-year-old.

Better characterization. I think this is mostly because there are fewer characters in this book. We're back to, mostly, the primary characters of the series, and Paver does a very good job showing the motivations behind their actions (or inaction). I wanted to find out what they were going to do and I cared what happened to them, which is always a good quality for a book. And I loved the role Fin-Kedinn played in this one. He's a class act, that one.

Reading Oath Breaker, I was motivated to read quickly because I just wanted to finish it (which I know is a horrible thing to say about the hard work of an author, but that was my experience). With Ghost Hunter I read it quickly because I was drawn from one chapter to the next. I didn't want to put it down until I'd read the whole story. It was a strong way to end the series. Even if it did mess up my bed time. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Sep 27, 2013 |
The final book in an excellent series. I picked the first in this series up and starting reading when my daughter was busy playing in the library and didn't want to leave, and I've read all of them now. All are difficult to put down, but nice and quick to read, great stories, ultimately a battle between good and evil set in ancient times when people lived in tribes that subscribed to totemic animals. The stories follow Torak and Renn, two children/teenagers who battle the forces of darkness. Highly recommended for children (not too young, because they are a bit scarey at times!) and adults. ( )
  kmstock | Sep 19, 2013 |

Michelle Paverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torak doesn't want to enter the silent camp.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 006072840X, 0060728426

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,525,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible