Muhammad: A Western Attempt to Understand…

Muhammad: A Western Attempt to Understand Islam (edition 1991)

by Karen Armstrong

Member:Holman123
Title:Muhammad: A Western Attempt to Understand Islam
Authors:Karen Armstrong
Info:Gollancz (1991), Paperback, 290 pages

Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet by Karen Armstrong

English (9)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (11)
Very good and important although I kind of felt like I was spending a lot of time gnawing on a vitamin pill. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
A meticulous quest for the historical Muhammad. This sympathetic, engrossing biography portrays Muhammad as a passionate, complex, allible human being--a charismatic leader possessed of political as well as spiritual gifts. Publishers Weekly
  PendleHillLibrary | Apr 25, 2014 |
This short biography of Muhammad should be required reading for all Americans over the age of 12. Armstrong manages, in the course of telling what is known about the life of the Prophet, to put Islam in context, explain the Sunni-Shi'a division, and much more. This is really the best introduction to Islam I have read--now I have to read her history of Islam. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
For Sally Cockburn, who also understands the pain and power of misrepresentation.
It has been difficult for Western people to understand the violent Muslim reaction to Salman Rushdie's fictional portrait of Muhammad in The Satanic Verses.
Muhammed: A Prophet for Our Time (c2006) is Armstrong's second biography of Muhammed. Her first was Muhammed: A Biography of the Prophet (published in 1991). Armstrong writes in the introduction to the second biography that "in the wake of September 11, we need to focus on other aspects of Muhammad's life. So this is a completely new and entirely different book, which, I hope, will speak more directly to the terrifying realities of our post-September 11 world." (p. 7)

A fresh, evenhanded biography of the founder of Islam by the author of "A History of God." "Portrays Muhammad as a passionate, complex, fallible human being."-- "Publishers Weekly"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

This biography attempts to strip away centuries of distortion and myth and present a balanced view of the man whose religion continues to dramatically affect the course of history.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,626,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible