Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Notes From Underground (original 1864; edition 2004)

by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Andrew R. MacAndrew (Afterword), Ben Marcus (Introduction)

9,005101508 (4.07)1 / 312
Member:fakelvis
Title:Notes From Underground
Authors:Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Other authors:Andrew R. MacAndrew (Afterword), Ben Marcus (Introduction)
Info:Signet Classics (2004), Paperback, 256 pages

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1864)

English (90)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  French (1)  All languages (100)
I do not know enough Russian to fully appreciate it, but I know enough. I can feel 'the space under the floor' of the translation. I can see the absence of something there, that I know the Russian would fully explain.

My first Dostoyevsky and I am pleased it was this one. The nauseating, twisting anxiety and self loathing. The violent and unrepentant revulsion, bitterness, cruelty and nastiness, and the thrilling, shuddering language of it all. In it I can hear echoes of everything I love now -- Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury! -- And I see the angels and auroachs and the power of my perversion.

Staggering. Helpful to read certain phrases out loud. Despite being "Notes", it is obviously a piece written to be spoken. ( )
  adaorhell | Aug 24, 2018 |
This particular copy of mine has a handful of short stories within it. There are a few pieces that were quite depressing and very fitting as Dostoyevsky works. This was a book that I had to teach to my sophomores when I was teaching 10th grade English and I can't say it had the kids very riveted unfortunately. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Jul 2012):
- 1864. Maybe marks the genesis of existential literature. Seems to be a good lead-in to his later Crime and Punishment... In any case, my simplest summary would be: a screed against rationalism. Which doesn't come hard by our screed-making narrator, because he is anything but rational. Insecure, self-conscious,...yet intellectual, he bitterly lashes out at society, most recently personified by his fellow government clerks (he's recently inherited 6000 rubles from a relative and has quit). He speaks of "hysterical impulses", apparently amped by loneliness and anxiety - he once purposely tries to enter a melee between two drunk billiards players, hoping to be tossed out of the tavern window like one of the grapplers; even here he fails, as a policeman simply lifts him out of the way. ("I had been treated like a fly")
- But our troubled narrator's triumph of embarrassments comes when he noses in on a farewell party of an old school pal Zverkov... He shows up far too early, paranoia sets in, he gets hammered on sherry. Relative harmony is bludgeoned by our man's insults: "Let me tell you that I hate phrases, phrasemongers and men in corsets...that's the first point. The second point is: I hate ribaldry and ribald talkers. Especially ribald talkers."
- So, Dostoevsky rails against empirical absolutes, or any attempt by man to reason our way to any truths. But so is it a nice comedy. I enjoyed it much more when I took it this way, ribaldry included. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jun 14, 2018 |
painful articulation of the internal side of a self marginalized person ( )
  margaretfield | May 30, 2018 |
I read this for #1001Books, and did not care too much for this one by Dostoevsky -- Underground Man (unnamed protagonist) does ramble on and on! Perhaps I would have appreciated this more with a different translation. Not long after, I read Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and loved it. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Mar 23, 2018 |

Randall, NatashaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roseen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Self, WillForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wokół mrok, choć wykol oczy;
Co tu robić? Będzie źle!
Bies nas widać w polu toczy
I kołuje nami we mgle.

Biesy kręcą się szalone,
Jako liście w słotny dzień.
Skąd ich tyle? Dokąd pędzą,
Zawodzące straszną pieśń?
Czy to czart się żeni z jędzą?

(A.Puszkin)
A była tam duża trzoda świń, pasących się na górze. Prosiły go więc (złe duchy) żeby im pozwolił wejść w nie. I pozwolił im. Wtedy złe duchy wyszły z człowieka i weszły w świnie, a trzoda ruszyła pędem po urwistym zboczu do jeziora i utonęła. Na widok tego, co zaszło, pasterze uciekli i rozpowiedzieli to po mieście i po zagrodach. Ludzie wyszli zobaczyć, co się stało. Przyszli do Jezusa i zastali człowieka, z którego wyszły złe duchy, ubranego i przy zdrowych zmysłach, siedzącego u nóg Jezusa. Strach ich ogarnął. A ci, którzy widzieli, opowiedzieli im, w jaki sposób opętany został uzdrowiony.

(Łuk. VIII, 32-36)
I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man.
I am a sick man... I am a wicked man.
"I wished to stifle with external sensations all that was ceaselessly boiling up inside me."
"...because for a woman it is in love that all resurrection, all salvation from ruin of whatever sort, and all regenerations consists, nor can it reveal itself in anything but this."
"Leave us to ourselves without a book and we'll immediately get confused, lost -- we won't know what to join, what to hold to, what to love and what to hate, what to respect and what to despise."
At home, I merely used to read. Reading stirred, delighted, and tormented me.
It is impossible for an intelligent man seriously to become anything, and only fools become something.

Nella prima parte, "Il sottosuolo", il protagonista racconta la sua infanzia e la formazione della personalità più nascosta (il sottosuolo per l'appunto). Nella seconda, "A proposito della neve fradicia", ripercorre alcuni episodi della sua vita dove più emerge il "sottosuolo". Segue alcuni compagni di scuola ad una cena, sfoga poi l'amarezza per le offese subite su Liza, una prostituta incontrata in una casa di tolleranza, mostrandole con durezza che cosa l'aspetta nel futuro. Dopo qualche giorno Liza ritorna da lui col desiderio di una vita pura, ma viene trattata con disprezzo e volgarità. Per umiliarla le mette in mano un biglietto da cinque rubli, che poi ritroverà sul suo tavolo quando la donna se ne sarà andata, testimonianza della grande dignità di Liza.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067973452X, Paperback)

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In full retreat from society, he scrawls a passionate, obsessive, self-contradictory narrative that serves as a devastating attack on social utopianism and an assertion of man’s essentially irrational nature.Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, whose Dostoevsky translations have become the standard, give us a brilliantly faithful edition of this classic novel, conveying all the tragedy and tormented comedy of the original.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0400)

A faithful translation of the classic written at the turn of the nineteenth to the twentieth century follows the narrator's withdrawal from his life as an official to the underground, where he makes passionate and obsessive observations on social utopianism and the irrational nature of humankind.… (more)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451529553, 0141024917, 0141194863

Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

An edition of this book was published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co..

Urban Romantics

3 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832475, 1907832483, 1907832491

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible