Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Notes From Underground (1864)

by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

7,149None498 (4.08)1 / 244
Member:evforija
Title:Notes From Underground
Authors:Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Info:San Francisco. [n.d.]

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1864)

English (58)  Swedish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (66)
I found the second part more compelling than the first, but I also feel like the second part provided the context I needed to enjoy the first part. So I may go back and read the first part again. But not now.

"Why, we don't even know what living means now, what it is, and what it is called? Leave us alone without books and we shall be lost and in confusion at once. We shall not know what to join on to, what to cling to, what to love and what to hate, what to respect and what to despise."

*Edit*

A friend just tipped me off to this New Yorker article that coincidentally appeared on the day I finished reading the book:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/06/dostoevsky-notes-from-underground.html ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
Crushing. ( )
  Jphotic | Mar 31, 2014 |
Possibly the only book Dostoevsky wrote which leaves me wanting more. I guess that's what happens when you go for 130 pages instead of 800. There's not much to say, except that I really think this isn't over-rated, and I had so many uncomfortable moments of self-recognition that I was scared to think what an a-hole I am. Chilling. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
I haven't had the energy to attempt Dostoyevsky's more well known works, however this book contained some of the finest writing I've ever read. Admittedly, existentialism has little appeal for me, yet his dry wit and humor were a pleasant surprise, particularly as contained in the second part of the work. I found his encounters with a local police officer and dinner party with old schoolmates some of the funniest, best written material I have ever read. An unusual, but very compelling book, highly recommended. ( )
  la2bkk | Aug 14, 2013 |
Yeah yeah I know this is "important" or whatever, it's also kind of annoying. But hey, you won't find a bigger fan of "Crime and Punishment" than me. ( )
  blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |

Polledro, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Praag, S. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roseen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Information from the Polish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Wokół mrok, choć wykol oczy;
Co tu robić? Będzie źle!
Bies nas widać w polu toczy
I kołuje nami we mgle.

Biesy kręcą się szalone,
Jako liście w słotny dzień.
Skąd ich tyle? Dokąd pędzą,
Zawodzące straszną pieśń?
Czy to czart się żeni z jędzą?

(A.Puszkin)
A była tam duża trzoda świń, pasących się na górze. Prosiły go więc (złe duchy) żeby im pozwolił wejść w nie. I pozwolił im. Wtedy złe duchy wyszły z człowieka i weszły w świnie, a trzoda ruszyła pędem po urwistym zboczu do jeziora i utonęła. Na widok tego, co zaszło, pasterze uciekli i rozpowiedzieli to po mieście i po zagrodach. Ludzie wyszli zobaczyć, co się stało. Przyszli do Jezusa i zastali człowieka, z którego wyszły złe duchy, ubranego i przy zdrowych zmysłach, siedzącego u nóg Jezusa. Strach ich ogarnął. A ci, którzy widzieli, opowiedzieli im, w jaki sposób opętany został uzdrowiony.

(Łuk. VIII, 32-36)
I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man.
"I wished to stifle with external sensations all that was ceaselessly boiling up inside me."
"...because for a woman it is in love that all resurrection, all salvation from ruin of whatever sort, and all regenerations consists, nor can it revel itself in anything but this."
"Leave us to ourselves without a book and we'll immediately get confused, lost -- we won't know what to join, what to hold to, what to love and what to hate, what to respect and what to despise."
At home, I merely used to read. Reading stirred, delighted, and tormented me.
It is impossible for an intelligent man seriously to become anything, and only fools become something.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067973452X, Paperback)

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In full retreat from society, he scrawls a passionate, obsessive, self-contradictory narrative that serves as a devastating attack on social utopianism and an assertion of man’s essentially irrational nature.Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, whose Dostoevsky translations have become the standard, give us a brilliantly faithful edition of this classic novel, conveying all the tragedy and tormented comedy of the original.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:03 -0400)

A faithful translation of the classic written at the turn of the nineteenth to the twentieth century follows the narrator's withdrawal from his life as an official to the underground, where he makes passionate and obsessive observations on social utopianism and the irrational nature of humankind.… (more)

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451529553, 0141024917, 0141194863

Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

An edition of this book was published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co..

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

Urban Romantics

Two editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832475, 1907832491

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible