Notes from Underground (Oneworld Classics)…

Notes from Underground (Oneworld Classics) (original 1864; edition 2010)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky

7,85879425 (4.08)1 / 275
Member:kaggsy
Title:Notes from Underground (Oneworld Classics)
Authors:Fyodor Dostoevsky
Info:Oneworld Classics Ltd (2010), Paperback, 160 pages

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1864)

English (71)  Swedish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (79)
You can't help getting drawn into Dostoyevsky's "Notes from Underground" as you follow the rantings of a spiteful, bitter person. Dostoyevsky has created a character whose every action leads to his own self-destruction, pain and alienation from others. ( )
  linsleo | Apr 6, 2016 |
The two halves of Notes from Underground are very different. The first half, although told in the voice of a fictional character, is essentially an existentialist essay - it lays out the existentialist's plight: if I am a conscious man (which I should want to be), I will end up miserable and unable to act. I found this part laid out the way Dostoevsky thinks about these issues very well, and would like to go back and take more time with it. However, if reading it as literature rather than philosophy, it is very dry. The second half is more of a story and thus easier to read in some ways - I think it may be intended to show how the existentialist's dilemma might play itself out in reality, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to read some interpretive criticism to see how others have understood it. As a piece of fiction, I'm not sure I liked it all that much - the characters are all pretty unpleasant. But overall, an interesting read. ( )
1 vote | Booklover889 | Feb 25, 2016 |
It's all about the inability of being happy. It's become even commoner nowadays. ( )
  StanleyPhang | Feb 4, 2016 |
Torment and pain on the road to existentialism. As only a Russian could write it. One gets bogged down in the dismal slush of it all and hankers for some ray of hope in this eternal uphill struggle. Great literature, perhaps, but a slog nevertheless. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Notes from the Underground Fyodor Dostoevsky
★★★

This is a very bizarre book, written entirely from the point of view of a male narrator, at first it appears that he is writing to a particular group of gentlemen until he explains that all he is doing is writing notes and that he finds it easier to address an audience than to write to himself.

As the novel progress I got the feeling we were dealing with a man suffering from Aspergers he is obviously highly intelligent and yet cannot engage socially and often misses social clues from his peers.

At the start of the novel he is arguing for free will and showing determinism by the simple fact that no matter what you may want the outcome to be 2 2 will always equal 4, he is also trying to assert himself into a higher social footing than that to which he is assigned.

In the second half of the novel he is trying to show that love is not a real emotion by destroying the hopes of a young woman who is looking to escape prostitution.

The novel ends abruptly when it appears that we have been reading the notes at an indeterminate point in the future from when they were written and that they have been edited for our benefit by someone other than the writer.
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

Polledro, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Praag, S. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roseen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wokół mrok, choć wykol oczy;
Co tu robić? Będzie źle!
Bies nas widać w polu toczy
I kołuje nami we mgle.

Biesy kręcą się szalone,
Jako liście w słotny dzień.
Skąd ich tyle? Dokąd pędzą,
Zawodzące straszną pieśń?
Czy to czart się żeni z jędzą?

(A.Puszkin)
A była tam duża trzoda świń, pasących się na górze. Prosiły go więc (złe duchy) żeby im pozwolił wejść w nie. I pozwolił im. Wtedy złe duchy wyszły z człowieka i weszły w świnie, a trzoda ruszyła pędem po urwistym zboczu do jeziora i utonęła. Na widok tego, co zaszło, pasterze uciekli i rozpowiedzieli to po mieście i po zagrodach. Ludzie wyszli zobaczyć, co się stało. Przyszli do Jezusa i zastali człowieka, z którego wyszły złe duchy, ubranego i przy zdrowych zmysłach, siedzącego u nóg Jezusa. Strach ich ogarnął. A ci, którzy widzieli, opowiedzieli im, w jaki sposób opętany został uzdrowiony.

(Łuk. VIII, 32-36)
I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man.
I am a sick man... I am a wicked man.
"I wished to stifle with external sensations all that was ceaselessly boiling up inside me."
"...because for a woman it is in love that all resurrection, all salvation from ruin of whatever sort, and all regenerations consists, nor can it revel itself in anything but this."
"Leave us to ourselves without a book and we'll immediately get confused, lost -- we won't know what to join, what to hold to, what to love and what to hate, what to respect and what to despise."
At home, I merely used to read. Reading stirred, delighted, and tormented me.
It is impossible for an intelligent man seriously to become anything, and only fools become something.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067973452X, Paperback)

(Book Jacket Status: Jacketed)Dostoevsky’s most revolutionary novel, Notes from Underground marks the dividing line between nineteenth- and twentieth-century fiction, and between the visions of self each century embodied. One of the most remarkable characters in literature, the unnamed narrator is a former official who has defiantly withdrawn into an underground existence. In full retreat from society, he scrawls a passionate, obsessive, self-contradictory narrative that serves as a devastating attack on social utopianism and an assertion of man’s essentially irrational nature.Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, whose Dostoevsky translations have become the standard, give us a brilliantly faithful edition of this classic novel, conveying all the tragedy and tormented comedy of the original.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:28 -0400)

A faithful translation of the classic written at the turn of the nineteenth to the twentieth century follows the narrator's withdrawal from his life as an official to the underground, where he makes passionate and obsessive observations on social utopianism and the irrational nature of humankind.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451529553, 0141024917, 0141194863

Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

An edition of this book was published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co..

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible