Break by Hannah Moskowitz

English (10)  Italian (1)  All languages (11)
This was a quick read. The author was in high school when she wrote it and I think she's got some real potential. Makes me wish I'd written a book when I was 17. ( )
  Cather00 | Apr 27, 2013 |
This book was freaky. In a good way. Okay, so every book has its flaws, and there is always going to be someone out there who will find those flaws. If I really analyzed this book I'm sure I'd be able to come up with a few. But at the moment, I just don't want to. Because without analyzing the book, I really enjoyed it. Which sounds awful because what Johah is doing is horrible. But really, when you read the book, it makes sense. Or at least it does to those who have felt something similar to this. I have and so the book really resonated for me. And the book is much more than self-harm. It's about what friend's support is and isn't. It's about how far is too far when trying to save someone from their life. It's about what love is and isn't. After reading Moskowiz's newest novel I requested this and when I picked it up from the library today I plopped down and read it all the way through in one sitting. Set aside my other book and homework to do it, and it was totally worth it. It's a quick read, and a powerful enough story to be stuck in my mind for months. I'm still in the high of just finishing the book so perhaps my enthusiasm will die down, but damn, this book hit a spot I didn't realize needed hitting.
Anyways, side note: this was Moskowitz's debut novel and it looks as if she wrote and maybe even published it while in high school, which is a grand feat in my opinion. I'm still working on the book I wanted to have published before I turned nineteen. That day has long come and gone and I'm no closer. So great job Moskowitz. I look forward to more books from her. ( )
  Kassilem | Nov 1, 2012 |
Break was my first novel by Hannah Moskowitz and I can understand why readers love her. She writes with confidence and abandon, tackling tough subject matter and emotions with ease. However, I did have some issues with this book. The ending felt a bit rushed and something happens near the end when Jonah is in the mental institution that had me shaking my head and asking, "What?". In fact, at first, I thought it was a delusion because it seemed so implausible.

Those things aside, Break was a powerful and emotional read. It didn't make me cry. I really thought it would, given the nature of the story, but it didn't. The dynamic between Jonah and his brother Jesse was believable and has to be my favorite part of the story. No one can ever deny the fact that Jonah loves his brother. The plot is unique and interesting and should keep the reader engaged.

Overall a very good book that should appeal to fans of darker/edgier contemporary novels. ( )
  Melanie_McCullough | Jul 19, 2012 |
Hannah Moskowitz is definitely one of my favorite authors. I loved Invincible Summer and I loved Gone, Gone, Gone so it is only expected that I would love Break. As expected, I really loved Break.

There is nothing negative I could say about this book. What's not to love? It was absolutely incredible. I read this book in one sitting. To put this in perspective, I have the attention span of 3 year old and can easily get distracted by anything around me so rarely do I read books in one sitting.

I don't know how it is possible to not to be at least slightly intrigued with a main idea such as wanting to break all the bones in your body. I loved each of the characters in this book. The characters were all very relatable and I commend her on that.

The book is very fast paced and very intense and Hannah is a brilliant writer. You really will not be able to put it down. I definitely recommend this book!

Oh and by request, I'm mentioning Hannah's hair and not including anything about her age. She has a fucking cool haircut. I can't believe someone with such cool hair wrote this book. You should probably be a little jealous of her haircut.

Now go read the book. ( )
  Strawberryreviews | Aug 5, 2011 |
The book starts out very strong, right in the action. I LOVE that. So many books that I enjoy have a very slow beginning and they don't start getting good until a little ways in, but not this one. I had started reading it, unfortunately had to stop for something, and when I picked it back up again I read it the whole way through. The pace quickens at the end and I found myself speedreading to find out what was going to happen. The characters are written wonderfully. They interact just as I imagine a family would with those types of problems. One thing that I really enjoyed, was that while I was reading it I could feel the emotions of the characters, mainly the main character, Jonah. While I don't know anyone that is like Jonah or Jesse, I am sure there are people out there with those problems, and even if there wasn't, I would believe it because that is how realistic these characters are. The basis of the book is a very serious one, but Moskowitz adds in a lot of comedic relief which lightens the mood. There are some great lines in here that I found myself laughing out loud to. It is definitely a unique read and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. (4/5 stars=I liked it a lot!)

So don't take my word on it, you should check this book out! ( )
  ssalach21 | Nov 19, 2010 |
To the Musers, who know this was a group effort.
The first feeling is exhilaration.

Jonah is on a mission to break every bone in his body. Everyone knows that broken bones grow back stronger than they were before. And Jonah wants to be stronger-needs to be stronger, because his family is falling apart around his bickering parents, his allergic-to-everything brother, and the screaming new baby. Maybe if he breaks and heals enough times, he’ll show his family how to pick itself up after a fall. But how does he keep from destroying himself in the process?

To relieve the pressures of caring for a brother with life-threatening food allergies, another who is a fussy baby, and parents who are at odds with one other, seventeen-year-old Jonah sets out to break every bone in his body in hopes of becoming stronger.… (more)

Hannah Moskowitz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,714,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible