Jack of Fables Vol. 6: The Big Book of War…

Jack of Fables Vol. 6: The Big Book of War (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Bill Willingham (Author), Matthew Sturges (Author), Tony Akins (Illustrator)

181None66,179 (3.45)6
Member:MikeBriggs
Title:Jack of Fables Vol. 6: The Big Book of War
Authors:Bill Willingham (Author)
Other authors:Matthew Sturges (Author), Tony Akins (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2009), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Your library, Brooklyn Collection, Graphic Novels and Comic Collections, Read in One Day, Read, Read in 2012, Read in May, Series
Tags:Fiction, Graphic Novel

Jack of Fables Vol. 6: The Big Book of War by Bill Willingham (2009)

Recently added bytarheel, private library, dastevens, ancameme, Tremendamente, Lexxi, kiariyuna, Octane

Reason for Reading: next in the series.

I have to say I have really been looking forward to reading this volume simply because it means I can get back to the original Fables series now with the big crossover issue that continues on with the storyline started here. I've enjoyed Jack and will continue to read the series especially since I've inadvertently found out how the plot line changes in the next volume. I still do prefer Fables as a whole though to Jack of...

This Volume finally brings closure to the inevitable showdown that has been looming nearer and nearer in the last few volumes between Mr. Revise and his Fables and Bookburner and his army of gathered Fables. All five issues stay on theme and play out the titular storyline. This is not one of my favourites from the series. A battle can only last so long and stretching out over 5 issues was a bit overkill (no pun intended) for me. Not a lot of plot going on but certainly plenty of action. Admittedly some hilarious one- or two-liners from arrogant, s*xist Jack that kept the humour coming. The best part comes, of course, in the final chapter when we learn a most shocking reveal about Jack, one I'm not sure he'll be able to handle. The book ends inviting us to "The Great Fables Crossover", the next volume in the Fables series where the storyline will continue. So that is where I'll be headed next! ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 9, 2010 |
Summary: Jack has had his differences with Mr. Revise, the Page sisters, and the staff of the Golden Boughs retirement home for Fables. But despite the animosity that exists between them, they must join forces to fight off an even bigger danger: The Bookburner, who has marched with his army to the Golden Boughs, intent on ridding the world of the Fables, whatever it takes.

Review: I enjoyed this volume more than I did several of the previous Jack of Fables collections, perhaps because we finally start to learn some of the secrets behind the story. We get to find out more about Revise's plan, the relationships between the Literals, and some dark secrets about Jack's past. The action and fight scenes are well-done, and the artwork is great as usual. I also thought that there was more comic relief than normal (or maybe more of the comedy worked for me than normal.) Babe was hilarious as always, but I also found the Knifejohns funny (if also nightmare-inducing), more of Jack's narration worked, and even Kevin Thorne got in a one-liner or two. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: I'm never going to be as invested in this series as I am in Fables proper, but it's a fun complement that's starting to get a fair amount of depth of its own. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Nov 21, 2009 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Akins, TonyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Braun, RussIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Green, DanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán, José, Jr.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sturges, Matthewmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gary, the Pathetic Fallacy: "So, here it is — one for the ages. A true and fantastic tale of love, war, heroism and great deeds."
Hillary Page: "What am I doing out here, Robin? I'm a librarian--I'm not cut out to shoot at people."

Robin Page: "It's easy. Just imagine you're shooting at Jack."
"I can't believe I fell for that slimy bastard's bullshit."

Hillary Page: "Yeah . . . [sic.] Me, too."
"YAAAAAH!"

Robin Page: "Hillary Page: berserker. I like it."

"When Bookburner's army attacks Revise's compound, Jack returns not as a prisoner but as Commander-in-Chief. [... S]ecrets are revealed, including the strange relationships between Jack and the Page sisters"--Publisher's web site.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible