City of Bones / City of Ashes / City of…

City of Bones / City of Ashes / City of Glass

by Cassandra Clare

A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)

awesome series. I got sucked in and loved the characters and the plot twists were crazy at times. It is easy to fall in love with Clary and Jace. This is one of my favorite series and I highly recommend it!. ( )
  christiesbookreviews | Dec 4, 2011 |
Entertaining enough, but lacking in so many things- and they didn't get better. Good characters at first, but by the fourth book you would think they would have settled SOME of their petty dramas already.
  mary.kyart | May 28, 2011 |
There's plenty of controversy surrounding these books. They've been criticized for the apparent incestuousness of the relationship between the two main characters for about 2 books out of 3, for two secondary characters being gay and another a rather promiscuous lady. There's blood and gore and cold-hearted twistedness and frankly I don't think these are YA books. The characters are teenagers, but to me that's not enough to make a book suitable for teen reading. Then of course there was the scandal of Cassandra Clare allegedly plagiarizing everything fantasy from TV to books in her Harry Potter fanfiction. I haven't seen or read the allegedly plagiarized works or the said fanfic so am not qualified to have an opinion on this, I can say though that there are elements in MI that are common to other stories. The extremely powerful and charismatic villain with a group of supporters he gathered while they were all in school and the orphan courageous enough to stand up to him come to mind immediately and I think we all know what they're reminiscent of. Here's what makes that not matter to me: anything after the folk tales, myths and legends is a repeat, anything written now has been done before in one way or another and the important thing is not to create something absolutely original (that I think would be next to impossible) but to make something familiar your own and different. I think Cassandra Clare does that beautifully.
I really enjoyed these books, could hardly put them down really. Ms. Clare's writing is witty, the characters are realistic enough with all their flaws and fine qualities, there's plenty of action and lovelorn adolescent angst to satisfy both types of readers. Even mild character continuity problems, like the bookish Clary who regularly skipped PE in the first book all of a sudden becoming strong and agile in the second, didn't ruin the experience. I loved how developed the world is with plenty of fantastical creatures, their intricate dynamics and how the fantasy world coexists with the regular world with the 'mundie' humans suspecting not a thing. If you are the kind of reader who can manage to not let the things I talked about in the first paragraph make these books unpalatable I think you're in for a treat and you should put them on your To Read list. They've made it to my To Buy list. ( )
  bolgai | Apr 15, 2011 |
This series is definitely a page turner. I won't be describing the plot much as I do not wish to accidentally spoil anything for those who plan on reading it sometime soon.

This is all you need to know, the story introduces all creatures, from vampires to werewolves and even evil faeries! There is adventure and romance, as well as twists and turns, but you will enjoy every minute of it!

Be warned… each book has a major cliffhanger so if you don’t own all three before beginning to read the first book, you will regret it because you will definitely want to know what happens next!

In case you are not aware of it, there is a fourth book coming out in which continues the series titled “City of Fallen Angels”, as well as another book in relation to this series titled “Clockwork Angel”. ( )
  MoonlightGleam | Nov 28, 2010 |
I took interest in this series because a lot of the other members I belonged to in a forum (for a certain book) have were currently reading the last in the series, which is City of Glass. So I thought might as well read the books since I was in the mood.I never thought I could feel again the feeling I had when I read the Harry Potter series and even when I first watched the Lord of the Rings (FOTR). I knew by the time I was in the middle chapter that I was in love with the story. I think if not for the need to feed and sleep, I could have been finished with the three books in less than three days. So I think it took me roughly four days instead. My sisters were blaming the books for making me unusually mental. I can’t give you the reasons why I love the books. Nor I am still speechless on how to describe the books to you. All I can say is that there are three book series that I love (that if God will allow me to live in either one of the stories these are my choices): Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter series, and the Mortal Instruments.If they will make a movie out of this story (which I pray that they won’t) the studio better make it as GOOD as HP and LOTR, because the book doesn’t deserve any less. And lastly. It’s Alex Pettyfer as Jace Wayland or to hell with the movie. ( )
  maidenveil | Sep 13, 2010 |
(City of Bones) "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
(City of Ashes) "Are you still mad?"
(City of Glass) The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

Clary is a normal girl who is shocked to discover that she actually belongs to the world of the Shadow Hunters. With the handsome and daring Jace and his fellow shadow hunters, Clary attempts to discover the world she had been hidden from her entire life. When her mother goes missing, she must recruit her new friends to help save her from a mysterious man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible