La mano de Fatima / The hand of Fatima…

La mano de Fatima / The hand of Fatima (Spanish Edition) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Ildefonso Falcones

Series: Narrativa

Member:laysu
Title:La mano de Fatima / The hand of Fatima (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Ildefonso Falcones
Info:Grijalbo Mondadori Sa (2009), Hardcover, 960 páginas
Rating:**
Tags:Histórico

The Hand of Fatima by Ildefonso Falcones (2009)

Spanish (5)  English (5)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (18)
The collection should probably be "partly read": some 150 pages in I decided to listen to the voice inside myself asking me whether I am really interested in this, and if not - why am I still reading it. So I decided to quit while I am still ahead and not at that point when one thinks: well, now that I have read such a big chunk I might as well finish it off. Life is too short to be reading the books you do not want to read, and there is no shame in stopping.
Hand of Fatima seems like a perfectly good passtime and it may even be properly researched and it may even reflect the time and put Hernando/Ibn Hamid's story into context to an extent, but it did not work for me. It seemed very purposefully written to fit in as much plot as possible, with an occasional emotional drama/major tragedy (personal or general) spicing everything up. In spite of all the turmoil of the times, the main character(s) seemed too be sailing all-too-smoothly through it all, haphazardly, yet always purposefully, almost as if they were on rails, their Destiny carrying them along, obviously towards something. So, basically, much complication in a chosen one's life time, with everything happening loaded with purpose and adding to complications along the way, ready for the hero to master it all. It felt like readying a soap opera, full of surprising turns of fate, ready to strike from the left or right. ( )
  flydodofly | Jul 18, 2016 |
Too many twists and turns of the story. Reads more as a script for a TV series than a novel. ( )
  HendrikSteyaert | Apr 30, 2015 |
La morte è una lunga attesa ( )
  Orsobalooo | Jan 4, 2015 |
I wanted to like this more than I did as I became a great fan of Falcone after reading Cathedral of the Sea. The book just felt overly ambitious in its scope and the rise and fall of its protagonist tiresomely repetitive. The subject matter was rivetting - post-Reconquista Spain - but I found it difficult to warm to most of the characters or find credulity in some of the plotlines. ( )
  thiscatsabroad | Jan 9, 2014 |
a great story, slightly unbelieveable at times, but evoking what it must have been like after the fanatic catholic spanish finally got round to expelling all the moors from spain who had been living there for many centuries. one of the first recorded crimes against humanity? ( )
  jusi | Dec 19, 2011 |
El libro relata la apasionante historia de un joven morisco en la Andalucía del siglo XVI, atrapado entre dos religiones y dos amores, en busca de su libertad y la de su pueblo. Un relato emocionante que pretende reflejar la tragedia del pueblo morisco, ahora que se cumple, en 2009, el cuarto centenario de su expulsión de España. Una novela que nos relata la vida y aventuras de un joven fronterizo y enamorado que nunca se resignó a la derrota y luchó por la convivencia de las religiones cristiana y musulmana.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Ildefonso Falconesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aan mijn kinderen
Ildefonso, Alejandro, José María en Guillermo
In het dorpje in een van de vele uitlopers van de Sierra Nevada werd de stilte van een ijzig koude zondagochtend verbroken door het klokgelui dat de hoogmis van tien uur aankondigde.

"La apasionante historia de un joven atrapado entre dos religiones y dos amores, en busca de su libertad y la de su pueblo. Espana, segunda mitad del siglo XVI: hace mas de medio siglo que ha desaparecido el ultimo reino musulman de la peninsula, el de Granada"--Back cover.… (more)

48 wanted6 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,501,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible