The Red Box by Rex Stout

The Red Box (1937)

by Rex Stout

Series: Nero Wolfe (4)

English (10)  Portuguese (1)  All (11)
When I entered the other copy of this, I gave it a low rating because all i really remembered (spoiler warning) was the Nero Wolfe did not find the red box that contained the solution to the mystery. Rereading it, I liked t better because he did something more clever: he deduced the critical facts that the box would have revealed without having the box.I also had forgotten that the real red box was finally found, although by that time it just confirmed what Wolfe knew. It also contains one of my favorite clues --the line "At least, I die ardently." This is an early Wolfe and has some variants from the later series --Wolfe's lawyer is Henry H. Barber, not Nathaniel Parker m and Archie mentions that Wolfe has lived in his New York house for 20 years, since 1916, and Archie has lived with him for 10 years, whereas in Over My Dead Body Wolfe was in Yugoslavia until at least 1918, and I think some of the other stories suggest Archie joined him significantly later than 1926. ( )
1 vote antiquary | Jun 19, 2016 |
This is one off the early Wolfes. I originally postd a negative review here, going from a vague memory, but i have a fuller more positive review in the entry for my other copy which I wrote afterrereading te book again. . ( )
  antiquary | Jun 13, 2016 |
Love reading these. Great characters, a fun plot, and Wolfe in his office in the last scene. Great stuff. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jul 27, 2015 |
Wolfe just doesn't do that much for me. I figured this one out easily. I didn't care about any of the characters very much. I don't think I'll go out of my way to read any more Rex Stout/Nero Wolfe mysteries. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
The Red Box was originally published in 1937. The slang used in the book reflects that period perfectly. Archie, tells the story from his perspective as usual. Archie was on fire in this one. I laughed out loud on several occasions. Wolfe actually leaves his house, in this one. A very rare occasion.
A young woman has been poisoned. Her employer hires Wolfe to investigate. In the course of the investigation certain family secrets and a sizable inheritance provoke more poisonings. The police investigators hassle Wolfe, as usual, accusing him of withholding information. Archie must also keep Wolfe from losing interest in the case and from going into one of his "depressions". (Although, in 1937, the word "depression" wasn't used) This one was a short, fast paced "Who Done It", with sharp dialogue, and a unique plot. I did sort of figure out the "Who" part, but the motive and how it was done was the most interesting part. Overall a B+. ( )
  gpangel | Sep 26, 2012 |

Rex Stoutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hart, Carolyn G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehtonen, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolfe looked at our visitor with his eyes wide open - a sign, with him, either of indifference or of irritation. In this case it was obvious that he was irritated.

Rear Cover Intro from Pyramid Books Sixth Printing May 1972:
ARCHIE GOODWIN’S THE NAME
I’m the hard-hitting, good-looking sidekick of a beer-drinking, orchid-fancying giant genius of a detective named Nero Wolfe. Wolfe and I have worked on some pretty weird cases. This one I call –
THE RED BOX MURDERS
A beautiful model who should have been watching her figure never dreamed that one little piece of candy could kill her. But it did. And her untimely death put Nero Wolfe in line for the supreme insult of his career — another murder, right in his own home. He had to solve the case to save his pride. But the only clue was an odd red box — and, oddly enough, that had disappeared!
Inside Cover Text:
Orchids are his pride and passion; detection is his forte. He rarely moves his enormous person from his luxurious brownstone. He’s Rex Stout’s peerless solver of crimes
Nero Wolfe

Ably abetted by his quick-thinking, rugged cosleuth, Archie Goodwin, the noble detector of murderous motives and games of foul play takes on the case of a high-fashion corpse to
Save his reputation
in
The Red Box
A mind-boggling gem of mystery and detection!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553249193, Mass Market Paperback)

Nero Wolfe, gourmet and connoisseur, who can solve a crime without leaving his desk, is investigating the murder of a beautiful model with his assistant, Archie Goodwin. Neither of them realise it is to trigger the supreme insult of Wolfe's career - another murder, right in his own home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:43 -0400)

A lovely woman turns up dead. Before anyone else does, Nero Wolfe must solve the mystery of a box of cyanide-laced candy.

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,599,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible