One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by…

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1962)

by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956 : an experiment in literary investigation {Volume One, Parts I-II} by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (editfish)
    editfish: A novella exploring a typical day in the life of a 'slogger' in one of Stalin's prison (Destructive Labor) camps.
    Life and Fate by Vassili Grossman (chrisharpe)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, chrisharpe)
    Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Forest of the Gods by Balys Sruoga (satanburger)
    satanburger: the account of a man from the lithuanian intelligentsia who was imprisoned in a concentration camp by the nazis and kept there by the soviets. very dark humour.
    Prisoner Without a Name, Cell Without a Number by Jacobo Timerman (eromsted)

English (110)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (114)
Deeply affecting and difficult to recover from. Comparable to the best Holocaust fiction or Angela's Ashes in its impact. Once I was drawn into this deceptively simple story of one man's day in a Siberian labor camp under Stalin's regime, I could not put the book down. I had it like a disease. Halfway through, I found myself moving in slow motion, paying attention to small things, eating thoughtfully, grateful for being warm and comfortable. After I read it, I had trouble settling into another book; all other fiction seemed fluffy and inconsequential. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
Although this is a fiction novel it is based on Solzhenitsyn’s experiences in the Gulag. In this account he just doesn’t record what Ivan Denisovich does but why he does it, his thought processes and feelings. How even though his every move is controlled he still tries to stay true to his ideals. He also writes about why Denisovich was arrested, an account taken from other convicts experiences.

When I saw the length of the this book and knowing it covers just one day I though it would be tedious or drag, however I was completely engaged and felt it did not drag at all. The story was helped along by the consideration of Ivan’s thought processes the comments of what he had learned through the years, and the planning that went into making sure he had enough to eat and keep from freezing or getting frost bite. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
This is an incredibly image packed and undeniably powerful book. The size allows for a quick one day read, or two at most, and the amount of information and descriptions make the time seem as though it is much longer than the day being described.

The way the author uses the non-stop nature of the environment to create a piece that the reader is unable to put down, and captivates them without question is amazing.

Unfortunately the subject matter is quite depressing, but that is the reality of it. The constant activity and degradation makes this a very gut wrenching story.

A wonderful read, great for anyone high-school and above. For a beginning reader the subject may be a bit harsh, but isn't the world? Don't we learn this at some point? What better way than to see it from the persecuted point of view before the dictator'? Or does it matter?

For adults, this is a great read that really gives a gritty weighted view of just one day in a gulag. ( )
  Clancy.Coonradt | Feb 5, 2015 |
Alexander Solzhenitsyn shows us how terrible the communist labor camp system is, not by showing us how bad a bad day in such circumstances can be, but by showing us how bad even a good day is in that situation. Ivan's attempts to scrounge enough food not to starve or succumb to illness and his efforts at back-breaking labor in the bitter Russian cold all turn out relatively well in the one day the story takes place on. The key word there is "relatively." The reader is left to contemplate what a bad day looks like, if this was a good day.

Short, evocative, and packing an emotional punch, this is how it's done. ( )
  BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |
I love this book..if you can say that about a book that presents the trauma of something terrible.

I have read this book many times hardly believing that anything could be as real as what it portrays.

Russia has always fascinated me, and its history in all its complexities.

greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |
This quiet tale has struck a powerful blow against the return of the horrors of the Stalin system. For Solzhenitsyn's words burn like acid.

Solzhenitsyn, Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, RalphTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalb, Marvin L.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lahtela, MarkkuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tvardosky, AlexanderForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Theun deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelma, GeorgiCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[Translator's Dedication] To my grandson, Dmitri Ivanovich, with thoughts of the future
As usual, at five o'clock that morning reveille was sounded by the blows of a hammer on a length of rail hanging up near the staff quarters.
Apart from sleep, the only time a prisoner lives for himself is ten minutes in the morning at breakfast, five minutes over dinner, and five at supper.
There was truth in that. Better to growl and submit. If you were stubborn they broke you.
You should rejoice that you're in prison. Here you have time to think about your soul.
When you’re cold, don’t expect sympathy from someone who’s warm.
Please do not combine editions that include other works, or critical companions and study guides (such as Monarch Notes Study Guides) with this original 1962 novel. Thank you.

AR 5.5, 8 Pts
-------------------------

This is the terrifying story of an almost unbelievable man-made hell - the Soviet Work camps - and of one man's heroic struggle to survive in the face of the most determined efforts to destroy him - a scathing indictment of Communist tyranny that has shaken the whole Soviet world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374529523, Paperback)

Solzhenitsyn's first book, this economical, relentless novel is one of the most forceful artistic indictments of political oppression in the Stalin-era Soviet Union. The simply told story of a typical, grueling day of the titular character's life in a labor camp in Siberia, is a modern classic of Russian literature and quickly cemented Solzhenitsyn's international reputation upon publication in 1962. It is painfully apparent that Solzhenitsyn himself spent time in the gulags--he was imprisoned for nearly a decade as punishment for making derogatory statements about Stalin in a letter to a friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:27 -0400)

Ivan Denisovich is a prisoner in a Soviet labor camp who faces daily hardships and struggles to maintain his humanity.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141184744, 0141045353

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,290,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible