One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich: A…

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich: A Novel (original 1962; edition 2005)

by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Member:jdtchicago
Title:One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich: A Novel
Authors:Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2005), Paperback, 182 pages

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (1962)

The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956 : an experiment in literary investigation {Volume One, Parts I-II} by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (editfish)
    editfish: A novella exploring a typical day in the life of a 'slogger' in one of Stalin's prison (Destructive Labor) camps.
    Life and Fate by Vassili Grossman (chrisharpe)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, chrisharpe)
    Kolyma Tales by Varlam Shalamov (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Forest of the Gods by Balys Sruoga (satanburger)
    satanburger: the account of a man from the lithuanian intelligentsia who was imprisoned in a concentration camp by the nazis and kept there by the soviets. very dark humour.
    Prisoner Without a Name, Cell Without a Number by Jacobo Timerman (eromsted)

English (113)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (117)
At the end of the Second World War, when the Russian soldiers were released from prison camps in Germany, Stalin accused them of being spies and sentenced them to prison in Siberia. Along with them many political prisoners were also imprisoned in Siberia.

This novel describes on day in this prison camp, told from the point of view of a common prisoner who previously was a farmer and now in his ninth year in the camp.

This novel made a great splash in USSR at the time of it's release in the seventies. Being a third person I see it as a story of a man in a prison camp. It is a survival story.

A 3/5 read. ( )
  mausergem | Jun 19, 2015 |
This book is bleak. Perhaps unbearingly bleak.

Solzhenitsyn details a day in the gulag in the early 50's. I found it easy to forget that these conditions were a reality a mere fifty or sixty years ago. Ivan Denisovich, the protaganist, manages to keep a clean conscience while being masterful in his manipulation of others. He knows the truth: you need to be crafty in order to survive the long, ten-year sentence.

The monotony and length of his sentence is reflected in the physical act of reading this book: while the words chronicle solely a single day from bell to bell, the book itself has no chapters, page breaks, or markers to indicate progress. There is no stopping point to take stock; the only option is to continue going. Sound familiar? Because of this, I was exhausted once I finished the book... I wanted to lie down, watch TLC for a couple mindless hours, take a leisurely nap, and *maybe* do some light Nicholas Sparks reading. I couldn't help but feel in the back of my mind that perhaps this is what Solzhenitsyn intended. The monotony, the cold, and the utter grimness of existence were reflected in every word of the novel.

You don't win the Nobel Prize in Literature for nothing, and Solzhenitsyn penned a masterpiece--which, I'm sure, is all the more beautiful in Russian with its 'jail talk' and peasant colloqialisms.

1 vote Proustitutes | Jun 11, 2015 |
One of the BEST books I've ever read (and re-read). I believe that this books should be mandatory reading for everyone! ( )
  MathMaverick | May 30, 2015 |
Deeply affecting and difficult to recover from. Comparable to the best Holocaust fiction or Angela's Ashes in its impact. Once I was drawn into this deceptively simple story of one man's day in a Siberian labor camp under Stalin's regime, I could not put the book down. I had it like a disease. Halfway through, I found myself moving in slow motion, paying attention to small things, eating thoughtfully, grateful for being warm and comfortable. After I read it, I had trouble settling into another book; all other fiction seemed fluffy and inconsequential. ( )
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
Although this is a fiction novel it is based on Solzhenitsyn’s experiences in the Gulag. In this account he just doesn’t record what Ivan Denisovich does but why he does it, his thought processes and feelings. How even though his every move is controlled he still tries to stay true to his ideals. He also writes about why Denisovich was arrested, an account taken from other convicts experiences.

When I saw the length of the this book and knowing it covers just one day I though it would be tedious or drag, however I was completely engaged and felt it did not drag at all. The story was helped along by the consideration of Ivan’s thought processes the comments of what he had learned through the years, and the planning that went into making sure he had enough to eat and keep from freezing or getting frost bite. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
This quiet tale has struck a powerful blow against the return of the horrors of the Stalin system. For Solzhenitsyn's words burn like acid.

Solzhenitsyn, Alexanderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, RalphTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalb, Marvin L.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lahtela, MarkkuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tvardosky, AlexanderForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, Theun deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelma, GeorgiCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[Translator's Dedication] To my grandson, Dmitri Ivanovich, with thoughts of the future
As usual, at five o'clock that morning reveille was sounded by the blows of a hammer on a length of rail hanging up near the staff quarters.
Apart from sleep, the only time a prisoner lives for himself is ten minutes in the morning at breakfast, five minutes over dinner, and five at supper.
There was truth in that. Better to growl and submit. If you were stubborn they broke you.
You should rejoice that you're in prison. Here you have time to think about your soul.
When you’re cold, don’t expect sympathy from someone who’s warm.
Please do not combine editions that include other works, or critical companions and study guides (such as Monarch Notes Study Guides) with this original 1962 novel. Thank you.

AR 5.5, 8 Pts
-------------------------

This is the terrifying story of an almost unbelievable man-made hell - the Soviet Work camps - and of one man's heroic struggle to survive in the face of the most determined efforts to destroy him - a scathing indictment of Communist tyranny that has shaken the whole Soviet world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374529523, Paperback)

Solzhenitsyn's first book, this economical, relentless novel is one of the most forceful artistic indictments of political oppression in the Stalin-era Soviet Union. The simply told story of a typical, grueling day of the titular character's life in a labor camp in Siberia, is a modern classic of Russian literature and quickly cemented Solzhenitsyn's international reputation upon publication in 1962. It is painfully apparent that Solzhenitsyn himself spent time in the gulags--he was imprisoned for nearly a decade as punishment for making derogatory statements about Stalin in a letter to a friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

Ivan Denisovich is a prisoner in a Soviet labor camp who faces daily hardships and struggles to maintain his humanity.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141184744, 0141045353

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,884,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible