Eclipse (The Twilight Saga) by Stephenie…

Eclipse (The Twilight Saga) (original 2007; edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Member:RPerritt
Title:Eclipse (The Twilight Saga)
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: 1 Pap/Pstr, Paperback, 640 pages
Collections:Finished, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:to read

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (2007)

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (willowwaw)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan (alexa_d, mgcdreamer13)
    alexa_d: Morgan and Cal have the same romantic dynamic as Bella and Edward!
    Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan (TomWaitsTables)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I can not live without my life! I can not live without my soul!
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (natalieinjeans)
    The Short Second Life Of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Bree Tanner wordt zijdelings in Eclips beschreven. Dit boek vertelt haar eigen verhaal.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (bcomquest)
    bcomquest: You will enjoy

English (714)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (744)
Well, this book was very much a mixed bag. I have to say, considering the length of the novel, not much happens. About three hundred pages in, I thought we were really building up to something, but not so much. Of course, it was nice that Victoria was dealt with, and more of the Volturi please! A very nice addition to the vampire mythos here. I also enjoyed Jasper and Rosalie's backstories. Alice is great as always.
In Eclipse, Bella finds herself torn between the need to be loyal to her true love, Edward, a love that is all-encompassing, obsessively so, whilst trying to hang on to her close friendship with Jacob the werewolf. All this in spite of the age-old animosity between vampires and werewolves, and the threat of the tenuous truce between the two being broken. Bella also faces some hard decisions, such as deciding if she really wants to be immortal, and if so, when. This is made all the more difficult given the strange mass killings going on in Seattle which seems to be vampire-related.
If Bella is sooo in love with Edward how could she be in love with Jacob too?! I thought that was ridiculous and out of character. Bella was pretty annoying throughout this book. She gets so upset when Edward has to leave her side, yet she has him go run off and look for Jacob while the big fight is going on elsewhere.
I really thought that it was out of character that Bella didn't want to marry Edward. If she's sooo in love with him then why not? She acts so disgusted over the idea. It just didn't make sense to me. I also couldn't believe how silly she was when he formally proposed to her.
I will definitely read the next book, but I'm hoping Bella matures a little before then. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
As a whole, this is easily the strongest book of the series. This isn't to say it's a strong book, but it's about as good as this series is going to get. I've read a number of complaints that this book is the least interesting in terms of descriptive language--I've seen the words "flat" and "thin" used a lot--but let's face it, the prose has never been Meyer's strong suit. Here, I think, she's focusing on story, and it's to her advantage that she does. Even the dialogue feels less tedious, but perhaps that's because Meyer has dropped the weepy-whiny melodrama in favor of a few genuine conversations. It doesn't hurt, either, that Jacob retains his pressence in this novel, because he is by far the best of Meyer's inventions. The proposal at the end--and the wedding it is inevitably leading toward--is a bit tired, if only because every time Bella begins narrating her own romance the book drifts into "Dear Diary" mode, a kind of juvenile wedding-fantasy book (I've been surprised not to catch Bella doodling "Mrs. Bella Cullen" surrounded by hearts and cartoon daisies on her textbook covers), but Meyer was at least kind enough to leave me with Jacob as the final word, and it's an interesting--promising--word indeed.

The rest of the story is essentially an action-mystery, driven in the slow parts by the growing tension between Jacob and Edward. It is this bizarre love triangle, really, that makes the story worth sticking with (the action plot is, I'm sorry, far too transparent), and if I were in a cynical mood, I'd ask for a flat-out fist fight between the two men. Actually, I'll ask for it anyway, though I did enjoy the contrived shift in narrative perspective when Bella "pretends to sleep" and turns the story over to a complex philosophical dialogue between vampire and werewolf. The resulting truce removed the threat of violence between them--and if this series needs anything, it needs a serious dose of genuine violent danger--but it did a lot to reconcile me to the idea of Edward as a romantic hero. I still prefer Jacob, as a character if not as Bella's lover, but after their "understanding," I think I can live with Edward now. If I have to. ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
I liked Eclipse. I liked it better than Twilight, and MUCH better than New Moon. The acton was well-balanced. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
LOVE THIS SERIES! I LOVE EDWARD CULLEN! ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
LOVE THIS SERIES! I LOVE EDWARD CULLEN! ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
Ask any high school girl: boys can be a pain. Fall for one who seems appealing, and he turns out to be a monster. One moment he acts like you don’t exist, the next, he drives you crazy by playing it cool — while his brothers circle you with hungry eyes. If you take a break to cut the tension, and hang out “just friends”-style with a younger guy who’s puppy-dogging you, what happens? Wouldn’t you know, he turns out to be a nightmare too.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gelada Fuster, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kadushin, IlyanaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallarés Sanmiguel, José MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

- Robert Frost
To my husband, Pancho,
for your patience, love, friendship, humor,
and willingness to eat out.

And also to my children, Gabe, Seth, and Eli,
for letting me experience the kind of love
that people freely die for.
All our attempts at subterfuge had been in vain.

Bella Swan on jälleen vaarassa, kun joukkomurhien aalto vavisuttelee Seattlea ja julma vampyyri janoaa kostoa. Kaiken huipuksi hänen on valittava Edwardin rakkauden ja Jacobin ystävyyden välillä, sillä ihmissudet ja vampyyrit eivät tule toimeen keskenään. Ylioppilasjuhlien lähestyessä Bellan on myös tehtävä lopullinen päätös: Elämä vai kuolema? Muutos vampyyriksi vai ihmisenä säilyminen?Epäilyksessä henkilöhahmot ja heidän suhteensa kehittyvät ja saavat uusia ulottuvuuksia. Saamme tietää paljon erityisesti Jacobin tunteista ja ajatuksista, joita lahjakas Edward lukee. Bella on hyvin kiintynyt Jacobiin ja viihtyy tämän seurassa kenties liiankin hyvin. Onko hänkään enää varma tunteistaan? Onhan ihmissusi-Jacobissa sentään jotain inhimillisempää kuin Edwardissa...Epäilys on kolmas osa kuolematonta rakkaustragediaa.

Readers captivated by Twilight and New Moon will eagerly devour Eclipse, the much anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's riveting vampire love saga. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob --- knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Bella must choose between her friendship with Jacob and her relationship with Edward, but when Seattle is ravaged by a mysterious string of killings, the three of them need to decide whether their personal lives are more important than the well-being of an entire city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible