Initiate's Trial: First book of Sword of the…

Initiate's Trial: First book of Sword of the Canon (The Wars of Light and… (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Janny Wurts

Member:ikeyjamehoward
Title:Initiate's Trial: First book of Sword of the Canon (The Wars of Light and Shadow, Book 9)
Authors:Janny Wurts
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Paperback, 544 pages

Initiate's Trial by Janny Wurts (2011)

09 (1) Book 9 (1) borrowed (1) Early Reviewers (3) ebook (7) ER (1) family (1) fantasy (28) favorites (1) fb (1) fiction (6) janny wurts (1) library (2) magic (1) map (1) memory (1) mistwraith (1) need (1) own (1) paper (1) read soon (1) romance (1) ROOT (1) series (6) to-read (5) unread (3) use (1) War of Light and Shadow (2) Wars of Light and Shadow (5) wishlist (1)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Early Reviewer program.

This was (like several other of the books I have in the Early review section) a book I was looking forward to reading and reviewing. Unfortunately, it got pushed a bit too the back burner with some other commitments I had at the time.

Recently, my apartment burned and was declared a total loss. I lost my entire book collection, except for one book I had loaned to a friend and whatever I have stored digitally. This book was one of those lost.
  Schlyne | Jun 23, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Early Reviewer program. I decided not to just pick it up and read it but instead decided to read the entire series in order first. I'm very glad I did. This is not the sort of series you can jump around in. Each book builds upon the previous one, with consequences from earlier actions affecting not only the individuals but the overall course of the plot.

The characters are multi-layered and complex. They grow, they evolve, they make a LOT of mistakes, and then they have to live with those mistakes and, where possible, right wrongs done or at least try to mitigate the unfortunate fallout. But that isn't always possible. Sometimes you just have to accept.

The world is well-drawn and with many hidden, or little-understood or long-forgotten complexities. It's a fantasy world, but one with tightly drawn rules and when something surprises you, you can remember, far back in a previous book, there was a hint of this to come.

If you love fantasy, love your characters tricksy and smart, determined, sometimes nefarious, and you love a world you have to work at to get a grasp on, then this is a series for you.

Me, I'm loving it. ( )
  majkia | Oct 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reading this book had me worried, because it's been a while since I'd read anything in this series AND I hadn't read books in between Curse of the Mistwraith/Ships of Merior/Fugitive Prince and this one... So needless to say, everything here was really only vaguely familiar.

Reading the first chapter made me remember why I had mixed feelings about the books a long time ago (and why they took me an inordinate amount of time to read)—Wurts very much enjoys the use of convoluted sentence structures, long sentences, and adjectives. This was fine while the story was building, but in the various battle scenes I found myself skimming ahead because reading these long, twisting sentences was slowing down the scene.

Throughout the book, I didn't feel as "left behind" as I think I could have, but there were surely things that would have made more sense or become richer in meaning had I not skipped from the beginning of the series to the end. There were quite a few references that I had to leave behind because I just didn't understand them, and while I feel okay doing that every so often, I realize other readers may not feel the same.

What I really admired about the book is that instead of turning me off the series (for various reasons—too difficult to read quickly, the typeset is too small, I've missed a lot in between the last of these books that I've read and this one, and so forth), reading this book made me really want to go back and get caught up. I enjoyed the multifaceted characters, and I really enjoy series where a set of characters are developed over the course of thousands of pages. This is certainly an intriguing read, and at some point I'll get my hands on the rest of the books to have it all make sense! ( )
  raistlinsshadow | Apr 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is a chance that I would have a different opinion if I had read the earlier books in the series, but I found Initiate's Trial impossible to read and eventually just gave up. The prose is simultaneously dull and confused, the story choppy and difficult to follow. I don't mind stories that take a few liberties with verbosity, but this particular book went too far. ( )
  koboldninja.5 | Feb 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
These Wars of Light and Shadow books take some attention to read but are rewarding if you have the patience for it. Wurts is descriptive in her writing, which means that the books can at times be a little slow but also quite immersive as far as world building goes. Initiate's Trial is the first book in the third arc of the series. It takes place hundreds of years after the previous book, so not really necessary to read the others before reading this one.
  mimosa.stimulus | Jan 30, 2013 |
For Abner Stein
I. Imprisoned

All of his days began the same way.

Half-brothers Arithon and Lysaer were laid under a curse of lifelong enmity when they defeated the Mistwraith and freed the world of Athera. Now Arithon has been magically imprisoned, his memories removed. He must spend 150 years fighting the vicious wraiths that threaten Athera.… (more)

Janny Wurts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Initiate's Trial by Janny Wurts was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,117,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible