How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry Deutsch

How Mirka Got Her Sword (2010)

by Barry Deutsch

Author-artist Deutsch not only delivers a great story & strong heroine, he also creates an entire family of great characters and a fantasy world I couldn't get enough of. Packed with little insights about Jewish culture and language, as well as irresistible humor, this is one graphic novel I can't wait to see sequel-ized! - Adam
  stephencrowe | Nov 11, 2015 |
Excellent story and a good introduction to Orthodox Jewish life. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
And now – another thrilling episode of Deborah Forgot When Her Library Books Were Due Back So Now She Has To Write 17 Reviews In One Day!

So: here's a graphic novel whose main character is an 11-year-old Orthodox Jewish girl who lives in a tiny, rural village. I am a 47-year-old non-theist, formerly Roman Catholic, who lives in a big screaming city.

I might love this story because of the magic of contrast; but why can I also relate so hard to the main character?

Because adventures.

Mirka wants nothing to do with so-called normal life (whatever it looks like in her neck of the woods). She wants to fight monsters! With a sword!

I so wanted to fight monsters when I was 11. I even managed to get my hands on a cane sword, but my parents wouldn't let me keep it. (I wish I could remember who among the various neighborhood morons I grew up with was dumb enough to give me that; and I really wish I'd been smart enough to hide it under my bed until I grew up and moved out. But that's another story.)

Mirka has slightly better luck in monsters-and-pointy-objects department. I won't go into detail, because the story's terrific and rather convoluted and I don't want to give anything away or write a review long enough to make me late on returning this book. I will share my favorite passage, which gives away nothing but a bit of Mirka's personality. She's puzzling over a story problem that shows up in her math homework:

I'm having a party! Two of my friends are here! So I cut the cake into three equal pieces. But then a third friend unexpectedly arrives!

"If you can't serve equal portions of cake, then your party is ruined!" this guest insists rather rudely.

Mirka frowns down at her math book.

What if I cut the three slices in half? No, that'll just give me six slices...

She taps her pencil and sighs.

Decapitation probably isn't the answer they're looking for.

This book is highly recommended for readers of any age who enjoy thinking outside the box. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Author from Portland
Short, quick read
  RhondaHoward | Jul 22, 2015 |
Shalom from the Winski Family

Spunky, strong-willed eleven-year-old Mirka Herschberg isn’t interested in knitting lessons from her stepmother, or how-to-find-a-husband advice from her sister, or you-better-not warnings from her brother. There’s only one thing she does want: to fight dragons!

Mirka is not interested in doing traditional things girls like to do--she wants to fight dragons and needs a sword.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,871,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible