How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry Deutsch

How Mirka Got Her Sword (2010)

by Barry Deutsch

Recommended by Jubilee
Orthodox Jew
Author from Portland
Short, quick read
  RhondaHoward | Jul 22, 2015 |
recommended by Jubilee R.
  TeachrBkMom | Jul 8, 2015 |
Cute enough, and certainly refreshingly original. I like Fruma (stepmother) best. Didn't hit my sweet spot, though, somehow. Did read both 1st & 2nd books, giving same review to both. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
The tagline of this book pretty much says it all. Mirka is always fighting with her step-mother and would rather be welding swords and fighting dragons than sitting at home knitting. This first book (yes, there are more!) tells the story of how our heroine wins her sword from a witch, fights a troll, and maybe even learns a little something about herself on the way.

Once upon a time I was a section head for the children's graphic novel section at Powell's Books in Portland, OR. I didn't really read comics beyond the old Archie comics my mom had in a cardboard box in the garage, but by the time Hereville was published I'd already picked it as my staff pick and made plans to drag two unsuspecting friends along to a reading Barry Deutsch was giving in Portland. I'm not Jewish, so I can't speak to the authenticity of the Orthodox community portrayed, but I have heard it is very good, and it is a wonderful way to introduce readers to a religious doctrine they might not be as familiar with. Regardless of the religious setting, this is a wonderful book for all girls (and boys!) who ever felt like they are maybe meant for something bigger and have ever wished they could ditch their chores and go fight a dragon. Also their is a pretty unconventional battle with a troll. ( )
  etborg | Mar 21, 2015 |
Deutsch, Barry. Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword. 2010. $15.95. Amulet. 98-0-8109-8422-6. Ages 10-14.
Mirka is an orthodox Jew, along with all the other residents of Hereville. But rather than knitting and planning ahead for the matchmaking process, Mirka is determined to fight dragons. Then Mirka meets a witch in the forest, and after eating some of her grapes Mirka finds herself being terrorized by a pig, which none of her friends or teachers can fathom. After defeating the pig, the witch tells Mirka where she can get a good sword for dragon fighting - if she can outwit the ogre who owns it in a knitting battle. This graphic novel features pen and Ink illustrations in monochromatic shades of orange, sepia, and blue. A mixture of classic panel design with some full spreads and illustrations that break their boundaries, much like their main character defies the boundaries of her society. Full of Deutsch’s tongue-in-cheek humor, this unexpected and clever story is also instructive: Yiddish words are incorporated and explained in footnotes, as are other practices like the Shabbas dinner. Highly recommended. Ages 10-14. ( )
  alovett | Nov 20, 2014 |
Shalom from the Winski Family

Spunky, strong-willed eleven-year-old Mirka Herschberg isn’t interested in knitting lessons from her stepmother, or how-to-find-a-husband advice from her sister, or you-better-not warnings from her brother. There’s only one thing she does want: to fight dragons!

Mirka is not interested in doing traditional things girls like to do--she wants to fight dragons and needs a sword.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,407,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible