dismiss

Calamity Jack

by Shannon Hale, Dean Hale (Author)

Other authors: Nathan Hale (Illustrator)

Series: Rapunzel's Revenge (2)

In this graphic novel interpretation of "Jack and the beanstalk," Jack is a born schemer who climbs a magical beanstalk in the hope of exacting justice from a mean giant and gaining a fortune for his widowed mother, aided by some friends.

Didn't enjoy this one as much as Rapunzel's Revenge (the story didn't feel quite as epic, I guess), but I still loved it. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
The second book by the Hales starring Rapunzel and titular Calamity Jack.

Intriguing steampunk mashup of Jack the Giant Killer and various and sundry other faerie tale figures. Loads of fun for anyone eight or older. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Calamity Jack is my second visit with Punzie and Jack, as they make their way through another adventure! Lots of action, excitement and a plethora of pixies, brownies, ant people and (even!) guest appearances by a Jabberwock and a Bandersnatch (among others) keep the excitement level movin' right along. Nathan Hale's illustrations are, once again, exceptional . . the amazing detail makes perusing this graphic novel an absolute pleasure!! **** ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
In a follow-up to her first graphic novel, Rapunzel's Revenge, Shannon Hale, author of several modern fairy tales, tells us the story of Rapunzel's plucky sidekick Jack and continues their adventures when they return home to confront his past.

This was a quick an entertaining read, though I have to admit I didn't enjoy it as well as Rapunzel's story. There was nothing particularly wrong with it, it just didn't capture my imagination in the same way.

The illustrations, drawn by husband Dean Hale, were just as well done as those in their previous collaboration and went a long way towards telling the story, as should be expected from a graphic novel. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
The story of Rapunzel and Jack the Giant Killer continues. As usual the illustrations are bright, expressive and entertaining. It's fun to watch Jack try and impress Rapunzel, not even realizing he is already in love with her. I like the changes made to the story and hope that their adventures continue. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Easily as strong as the first entry, this steampunk-flavored fairy tale will appeal to boy-, girl-, reluctant- and eager readers alike.
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book Magazine, Anita L. Burkam (Mar 1, 2010)

The dynamic artwork fits well with Jack and Rapunzel's quick tongues, as they flirt their way through numerous hair-raising situations.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 4, 2010)

It should satisfy readers who enjoy adventure, fairy tales, and anyone who loves a rogue.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Eric Norton (Jan 1, 2010)

Readers will relish this gleeful mix of fairy tale, adventure and romance.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 1, 2009)

Shannon and Dean Hale have done an excellent job stretching the bones of the traditional fable into a high-action coming-of-age story that will keep young teen readers excited and engaged.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Eva Volin (Oct 1, 2009)

Hale, Shannonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, DeanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, NathanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Max and Maggie,
the best teammates a couple of schemers
could ever hope for.
- S.H. and D.H.
To Greg, Riley, and Rebekah.
Three in-laws, three outlaws.

And with thanks to Shannon and Dean -
no relation, but a lot of admiration.
- N.J.H.
I think of myself as a criminal mastermind . . . with an unfortunate amount of bad luck.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,875,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible