Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

by John Green (Author), David Levithan (Author)

3,3042041,649 (4.06)135

English (203)  Dutch (1)  All languages (204)
I swithered between three and four stars for this for a while, but ultimately, it's not joined-up enough to be a four-star read. Firstly, I wasn't crazy about Levithan's writing, which didn't help, but I can just chalk that up to personal taste. Secondly, the whole thing just wraps up far too abruptly. To borrow an Americanism, I didn't get the closure that I needed from that ending.

The characters are also various shades of "eh" as well. Will Grayson is easily my favourite, perhaps because for a long time I was the Will to my Tiny Cooper (whom I might post a copy of this book to if I can. I think it's more for him than me). However, my Tiny Cooper was a bit more well-rounded (not literally) than the character we see here. Jane is pretty much a non-entity, though I did like the Schroedinger's cat/physicist/douchebag bits rather a lot. will grayson, he of the non-capitalisation... I guess I felt that, especially at first, he was a caricature of depression rather than a well-fleshed out depiction of that affliction, and given that it's an important matter to me, I felt a little cheated by him.

It was okay. But I actually think I would have liked the book a whole lot better if John Green had written the whole thing, and I'm hardly a fan-girl of his. Here endeth the whinging.

Edit: Okay, I actually just made a bunch of assumptions about who wrote what and didn't realise that I might be wrong until I'd done it. I still think I'm right, and the general consensus seems to be that I am (at least in terms of who wrote what parts, a lot of people seem to like lower-case will, which, fair enough) but I should probably try not to make assumptions! ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is my fourth John Green novel (The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns) and also my favorite. Yes, Fault made me cry (which I love) but this one, although just as poignant, made me laugh--even better. Loved how Tiny's musical played out!

I also like that the teens in this book sounded more like most kids do. I doubt if most public school kids are quoting e.e. cummings, but at least these kids didn't come across as pretentious as the ones in the other books. I suppose since the author(s) are brilliant (!) it's probably hard to tone it down for lesser mortals. (Not meant to be snarky. I'm just seriously jealous.)

You know, now that I think about it, I think why I like this one the best is because of the ending. Green's other books are hard to put down, the stories are so good, but the endings are a bit anti-climactic. This was terrific from start to finish.

Now I'm off to track down Levithan's other books... ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Oct 17, 2014 |
Having only read (listened to) one other John Green book, I was surprised at how easy it was to pick out which Will Grayson was his. The vocabulary his teens use tends to be a bit more highbrow than most teens I know, and his sentences tend to be long-ish and fast-paced. I listened to the audio version of this book and was pleased at how it translated into that format. Two voices, one for each Will Grayson, and the Will Grayson that was Green's character kind of sounded like Green, in my opinion.

I perferred Green's Will to Levithan's Will, mostly because Leviathan's Will came across as hateful and unpleasant. Suffering from clinically diagnosed depression Levithan's Will was very negative and for the first half of the story, the only positive thing in that Will's life is Isaac, and online guy friend that he flirts with. Although he does not consider himself to be gay, he is certainly toying with the idea of it with Isaac. As with most stories of online relationships, the fateful day comes when the subject of meeting comes up. Isaac turns out to not be who Will expects and there is even more anger over that.

Green's Will is a bit more positive, but Tiny Cooper, his best friend, seems to take center stage in his story. Tiny Cooper could be a story all on his own, honestly. He was probably the most interesting person in the entire book. Tiny Cooper is gay. Flamgingly gay. He's also in love with every guy he meets and wants to have a boyfriend so badly that he will imagine he is in love with anyone who pays the smallest amount of attention to him.

At some point in the book, the two Will's paths cross, and the rest of the story involves the planning of Cooper's gay drama production, the on and off relationship between him and "the other Will Grayson," Jane and Will Grayson's budding relationship that cant seem to decide if it wants to start or fizzle out, and Will Grayson's friendship with Tiny Cooper.

I enjoyed this story, but at times it felt, dare I say it, preachy. There were instances where I felt like the author(s) were trying to make some pretty big points, or throwing out some pretty big ideas to make the audience think, and maybe as an adult it was more obvious to me than it would be to a teen reading it, but I did notice it.

Also, Green has a vocabulary that doesn't feel authentic for teen voices. While I'm sure that there are some teens who speak that way and use those words, the sad reality is, I have come across very few who do speak that way, so it felt odd to hear those words from teen characters. I felt the same with his characters in The Fault In Our Stars as well.

Still, the story was entertaining, and I liked the clever wit/humor that was presented. I think it's a great story with an emphasis on friendships, love, relationships, and how they all intertwine and co-exist. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
How can two people with the same name be so stunningly different? This is the question all readers were asking while reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson, a novel about two teenage boys, both by the name of Will Grayson, who lead two very different lifestyles. The Will Grayson who narrates the first chapter of the book leads a quiet life in a small city where he goes to an average high school. In school, he is not popular, but not an outcast either. His life is very simple. He has had the same best friend, Tiny Cooper, since second grade. So when things start to change, he is extremely unprepared. For one thing, he makes a new friend, but his old friends seem to be drifting away. For another, he meets a second Will Grayson which makes him realize that not everyone had his happy, quiet life. The other Will Grayson was a scrawny, depressed outcast, who is the opposite of the other Will, in that he was used to change and hardship. So when things finally start to settle down for him, he believes it is too good to be true. With this attitude, he begins to destroy the things he does have single handedly, until he meets the other Will, who helps him realize what he is doing. In this way, both Wills help the other to learn something about themselves, and in the end both their lives are bettered because of it.
This brilliantly crafted novel by award winning authors David Levithan and John Green could be said to have not one, but two subplots, creating a masterfully woven plotline that is sure to interest many readers of all ages. This book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, features two young teens and their very different lives. However, when fate brings them together they realize just how similar and different they are. A subplot follows the first Will's best friend, Tiny, as he creates an ingenious musical that not only adds comic relief to an otherwise serious book, but also expresses a very honest view on life from his perspective. These three plots almost seem to be three different stories, until major twists in the plot brings the three hurdling together. While most authors would have simply let the plots collide and called the resulting mess a book, John Green and David Levithan weave the three stories together, creating a book that is so packed with comedy, sadness, and love that it is almost overwhelming. I would highly recommend this book to all middle schoolers, and even many adults, as it provides so many different ideas, there is sure to be something for everyone. ( )
  mafi14 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Funny.
“Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters.” ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
A wonderfully campy, sweet, romantic gesture in the spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.
added by khuggard | editVOYA

Two superstar authors pair up and really deliver the goods, dishing up a terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy and savvy counsel.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, John Peters

...complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Diane P. Tuccillo

(for being so close)
-DL

To Tobias Huisman
-JG
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose."
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
There are probably some girls who don’t want guys to show up at their house randomly on a Tuesday night with questions about Edwin Schrodinger. I am sure such girls exist. But they don’t live at my house.

Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

When two teens, one gay and one straight, meet accidentally and discover that they share the same name, their lives become intertwined as one begins dating the other's best friend, who produces a play revealing his relationship with them both.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,337,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible