Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson

by John Green (Author), David Levithan (Author)

Series: Will Grayson (1)

English (221)  Dutch (1)  All languages (222)
I really wanted to give this a split rating--4 stars for the lowercase will grayson, and 2 stars for the Upper Case Will Grayson, so I'm going to settle for 3 overall. Having read books by both John Green and David Levithan, it was fairly obvious fairly quickly who wrote which Will, and I definitely prefer Levithan's voice, writing style, and understanding of the teenage condition over Green's. That said, I really enjoyed the concept of the book, and while the dialogue often felt contrived, the relationships felt real and honest, and I definitely cried a little bit at the end. ( )
  photonegative | Jun 22, 2015 |
John Green , como autor masculino de libros para jóvenes me parece un claro ejemplo del machismo que anda dando vueltas entre el 80% de los lectores (tanto mujeres como hombres) .

Es un tipo que escribe igual (capaz un poco mejor .... un poquito) que el resto y sus historias (si bien algunas son algo originales) tienen el mismo nivel de superficialidad que , igualmente , el resto .

Pero , cuál es la diferencia entre el y el resto ? . Por qué este señor que escribe (en tooooodas sus novelas ) sobre el nerd que se enamora de la chica hot y misteriosa , es considerado maravilloso mientras que cualquier otra autora (mujer , si , mujer , pretendanla alba , blanca , nívea pero primero ve hacia los montes .... diría cierta poeta) que escribe sobre LA nerd que se enamora del chico hoy y misterioso se la tilda de banal , superficial , trivial o poco realista? Por qué la distinta vara con ESTE?

Es una pregunta que me hago simplemente . No es un autor de mi gusto en absoluto . Leí muy por encima y muy irritada en varios casos lo más nuevo que salió de él (menos La culpa esta en... ) y siempre tiene el mismo efecto en mi .

Seré prejuiciosa pero me pasa siempre que abro un libro suyo y llevo tres páginas y BUM! apareció esta idea estúpida de que la mujer hermosa es una loca (tan equivocada idea que tienen la mayoría de los hombres) o que va a caer rendida a los pies del nerd (algo que podría ser tan irreal como con los sexos a la inversa)

EN FIN .................

Dicho esto , el libro en cuestión me pareció bastante pasable (será por Levithan ?) y me gustó mucho Tiny Cooper . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
My favorite book by either of these authors.
The audio version of this book is particularly well-done! (Karen) ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Jun 6, 2015 |
This is a novel that makes me realize how times have changed. Years ago when homosexuality was not discussed in high school much less celebrated this novel would not have been possible. It still seems a bit of a fantasy if news items about bullying and worse are to be believed. But this is fiction and well-written fiction at that. It is also gay fiction with a gimmick: the protagonist is a duo, both named Will Grayson. And not surprisingly one of the Will's story is told primarily in the form of text messages. The novel effectively surrounds the two Wills with interesting friends. Most important both to the plot and both of the Graysons in the gay-friendly school and town and gay characters, is a very out-and-proud character nicknamed Tiny Cooper. Tiny breaks stereotypes by being both overweight and capable of having a love life. Another character, one of the Wills, is taking medication for his depression, a depiction that's handled compassionately. Parental relationships are idealized but heartwarming. And it has a plot with almost, but not quite, too many coincidences. As long as you are willing to suspend belief just a bit the story's roller-coaster ride is both fun and entertaining; with some lessons learned along the way. It is a positive sign for our changing times that young people not only have stories about both gay and straight teens who live together and celebrate their differences. ( )
  jwhenderson | May 29, 2015 |
That was very touching. ( )
  aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
A wonderfully campy, sweet, romantic gesture in the spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.
added by khuggard | editVOYA

Two superstar authors pair up and really deliver the goods, dishing up a terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy and savvy counsel.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, John Peters

...complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Diane P. Tuccillo

(for being so close)
-DL

To Tobias Huisman
-JG
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose."
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
There are probably some girls who don’t want guys to show up at their house randomly on a Tuesday night with questions about Edwin Schrodinger. I am sure such girls exist. But they don’t live at my house.

Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

When two teens, one gay and one straight, meet accidentally and discover that they share the same name, their lives become intertwined as one begins dating the other's best friend, who produces a play revealing his relationship with them both.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible