Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (edition 2011)

by John Green, David Levithan

3,3642061,616 (4.05)137
Member:beansrkewl
Title:Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Authors:John Green
Other authors:David Levithan
Info:Speak (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (Author)

English (205)  Dutch (1)  All languages (206)
Enjoyed this book - wasn't entirely sure what to expect from it at first.

Accidentally spoiled part of the ending for myself looking up the book online.

Liked the first Will best of all at the start, liked his relationship with Jane; as the book went on the second Will grew on me.

Second Will's bits being all lowercase bothered me at first but I reached a point where I stopped noticing it. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 13, 2014 |
The audiobook was even more fabulous than the print book. ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 24, 2014 |
My big, fat, gay musical coming to an episode of Glee sometime in the future. ( )
  revslick | Nov 5, 2014 |
I swithered between three and four stars for this for a while, but ultimately, it's not joined-up enough to be a four-star read. Firstly, I wasn't crazy about Levithan's writing, which didn't help, but I can just chalk that up to personal taste. Secondly, the whole thing just wraps up far too abruptly. To borrow an Americanism, I didn't get the closure that I needed from that ending.

The characters are also various shades of "eh" as well. Will Grayson is easily my favourite, perhaps because for a long time I was the Will to my Tiny Cooper (whom I might post a copy of this book to if I can. I think it's more for him than me). However, my Tiny Cooper was a bit more well-rounded (not literally) than the character we see here. Jane is pretty much a non-entity, though I did like the Schroedinger's cat/physicist/douchebag bits rather a lot. will grayson, he of the non-capitalisation... I guess I felt that, especially at first, he was a caricature of depression rather than a well-fleshed out depiction of that affliction, and given that it's an important matter to me, I felt a little cheated by him.

It was okay. But I actually think I would have liked the book a whole lot better if John Green had written the whole thing, and I'm hardly a fan-girl of his. Here endeth the whinging.

Edit: Okay, I actually just made a bunch of assumptions about who wrote what and didn't realise that I might be wrong until I'd done it. I still think I'm right, and the general consensus seems to be that I am (at least in terms of who wrote what parts, a lot of people seem to like lower-case will, which, fair enough) but I should probably try not to make assumptions! ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is my fourth John Green novel (The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns) and also my favorite. Yes, Fault made me cry (which I love) but this one, although just as poignant, made me laugh--even better. Loved how Tiny's musical played out!

I also like that the teens in this book sounded more like most kids do. I doubt if most public school kids are quoting e.e. cummings, but at least these kids didn't come across as pretentious as the ones in the other books. I suppose since the author(s) are brilliant (!) it's probably hard to tone it down for lesser mortals. (Not meant to be snarky. I'm just seriously jealous.)

You know, now that I think about it, I think why I like this one the best is because of the ending. Green's other books are hard to put down, the stories are so good, but the endings are a bit anti-climactic. This was terrific from start to finish.

Now I'm off to track down Levithan's other books... ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Oct 17, 2014 |
A wonderfully campy, sweet, romantic gesture in the spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.
added by khuggard | editVOYA

Two superstar authors pair up and really deliver the goods, dishing up a terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy and savvy counsel.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, John Peters

...complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Diane P. Tuccillo

(for being so close)
-DL

To Tobias Huisman
-JG
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose."
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
There are probably some girls who don’t want guys to show up at their house randomly on a Tuesday night with questions about Edwin Schrodinger. I am sure such girls exist. But they don’t live at my house.

Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

When two teens, one gay and one straight, meet accidentally and discover that they share the same name, their lives become intertwined as one begins dating the other's best friend, who produces a play revealing his relationship with them both.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,487,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible