Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (edition 2011)

by John Green, David Levithan

3,1741991,765 (4.07)132
Member:beansrkewl
Title:Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Authors:John Green
Other authors:David Levithan
Info:Speak (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (Author)

English (197)  Dutch (1)  All languages (198)
An interesting look at how life can be so different for people who have so much in common. Will Grayson, Will Grayson follows a handful of teenagers as they deal with typical teenage "stuff"; friendships, family, drama, and, most importantly, LOVE. The format is interesting; chapters alternate point of view between each of the Will Graysons, cataloging their relationships with an overly large homosexual boy named Tiny as he prepares to put on the performance of a lifetime via the high school's funding and promotion.

In the end John Green and David Levithan have delivered like able and relatable characters with realistic and rich dialogue and actions. I was unable to put this one down, and several of my students have been waiting to borrow it (as they have with all of my other John Green titles). ( )
  HeatherCHoffman | Jul 23, 2014 |
Lots of angst in this one. ( )
  libq | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book is absolutely hilarious. Tiny Cooper is probably my favorite character of any book I have ever read. David Levitan and John Green are two of my favorite authors of all time. This book had me laughing from beginning to end, you won't want to put it down. ( )
  hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
This book is absolutely hilarious. The language is very blunt which adds to the vibrancy of the characters. I liked the collaboration between Green and Levithan. ( )
  nfoto | Jul 9, 2014 |
Because I loved The Fault in Our Stars, and because it was the only John Green novel not checked out of the local library, I thought I’d try

will grayson, will grayson by John Green and David Levithan 310 pages

The paperback copy I read had a great cover, it looked exactly like a night out. Refracted bursts of light, a metallic sheen, and bubbles emerging from the darkness. The novel itself consists of alternating chapters between the eponymous Will Graysons. One is a shiftless music lover destined to become a doctor by default, the other is an extremely angry closeted homosexual being medicated for depression. Yeah. I think I’d like to tackle this one Will Grayson at a time.

Punctuated Will Grayson sort of maybe likes the only girl who crosses his path during the novel, but she maybe has a boyfriend and he definitely wants to be passive-aggressive about it. Throughout the duration of the will-they/won’t-they I wanted to tell Jane: “I know this guy, and he’s not worth your time.”

will grayson is a constant blast of rage, when he isn’t passive-aggressively tormenting his depressed goth “friend” Maura. The one bright point in his lowercase universe is an online boyfriend.

The WGs are brought together one Friday in Chicago outside an unlikely store, both feeling betrayed. The only reason for them to meet is to spread the fabulosity of

TINY COOPER

Tiny is Will Grayson’s best friend and will grayson’s sometime paramour. He is also easily the most interesting thing about the novel. He is a six-foot-plus blast of pure personality, a one man gay pride parade with enough ex-boyfriends to form a football team (and then some). Tiny sweeps both Wills along in his musical-writing, parent-charming wake. He somehow manages to wake both moody boys and get them to climb out of their own heads for five seconds. All iterations of his musical are hilarious. I’d pay to watch it.

Ultimately, this book didn’t quite work for me. Tiny was interesting enough to keep me reading, but I doubt I would have picked it up if I hadn’t already enjoyed a John Green novel. If you desperately love hipsters or are interested in reading a couple of fresh angles on teenagers who happen to prefer their own gender sexually, this might be a good read for you. I’d give it a solid three, but I probably wouldn’t read it again.

re-posted from my blog at http://armchairauthor.wordpress.com ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
A wonderfully campy, sweet, romantic gesture in the spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.
added by khuggard | editVOYA

Two superstar authors pair up and really deliver the goods, dishing up a terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy and savvy counsel.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, John Peters

...complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Diane P. Tuccillo

(for being so close)
-DL

To Tobias Huisman
-JG
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose."
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
There are probably some girls who don’t want guys to show up at their house randomly on a Tuesday night with questions about Edwin Schrodinger. I am sure such girls exist. But they don’t live at my house.

Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

When two teens, one gay and one straight, meet accidentally and discover that they share the same name, their lives become intertwined as one begins dating the other's best friend, who produces a play revealing his relationship with them both.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,669,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible