Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (edition 2011)

by John Green, David Levithan

Member:beansrkewl
Title:Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Authors:John Green
Other authors:David Levithan
Info:Speak (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (Author)

Recently added bymamelotti, laverack, maliora, kittyjay, melthefishy, UICS, zsampson, private library, blonderella95

English (213)  Dutch (1)  All languages (214)
Still early. I'm sure I'll like the book, but I'm not sure I'll 'like' the characters. But that could well be because I'm the mother of a teenage boy, and the r'ship these boys share w/ their family doesn't look so good...

ETA/done. Ok. Boy was I wrong. I love this book, and I adore the characters. The thing is, their experiences throughout the course of this novel enrich them and help them grow. And yet, they weren't immature to start with. They're almost as wonderful as my son.

The book is melodramatic, full of laughter and sorrow, despair and joy, wisdom and stupidity. But hey, that's authentic - that's adolescence.

So, in many ways this story is universal. But it's also unique. These kids are not iconographic or representative. Everyone is an individual, and it takes us the entire book to get to know them. And even then we know there's more. Well, isn't that just like real life? Look again at the people you love. Do you *really* know them? Do you really know how their stories are playing out?

The writing is brilliant. For the first time ever I closed a book and then wanted to start over and read it again, immediately. And to think that, even though it was on my to-read list, I had no idea when or even if I'd get around to it.

I would, bty, consider this more of a 'New Adult' rather than YA, just because many 12 yo children are reading YA and I'm thinking this really isn't the best choice for them to read. Also, I'm thinking that many adults, even those who don't have any current connection with teens, would appreciate this.

"[P]erhaps a special wing at the Museum of Crazy should be erected in my honor."

"i've never been able to sense a difference in [mom's] mood when she's watching pride & prejudice and when she's watching kill bill. it's like she's the same person no matter what's happening, which can't be right."

"Baseball for me was just one of those weird and terrible things parents do for reasons you cannot fathom, like flu shots and church." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Here’s a pivotal young adult book that tackles the gay issue straight on. Written by John Green and David Leviithan, two stories are told, each by a teenager named Will Grayson. One is the straight friend of a fat gay kid. The other is a gay kid who struggles with depression. I wish people who objected to this book would let go of their preconceived notions of what is appropriate for teenagers to read to read this book and see what kids really are worried about today. ( )
  brangwinn | Apr 14, 2015 |
So far my favorite John Green book (haven't read "Fault in Our Stars" yet though so, we'll see). I loved it- I loved both Will Graysons (although Levithan's was my favorite), I loved Tiny's musical, and I loved how the characters came together and found themselves. This is the second author switching book I've read (that is, two authors, switching each chapter clearly rather than melding), and I really enjoy the format. ( )
  t1bnotown | Apr 10, 2015 |
Another "just okay" read of the year. This is my first John Green novel, and I did enjoy his writing style - however, the plot just didn't deliver. From what I gather, this was a co-writing exercise he did with another YA author (David Levithan), each of them alternating chapters focusing on a different character named "Will Grayson" with the idea that they would cause these characters' lives to intersect and be forever changed. It's an interesting idea, but ultimately it's a "too many cooks" situation, and neither plotline really went anywhere interesting or meaningful. ( )
  okrysmastree | Mar 8, 2015 |
Was it destiny? Or was it a mistake? Find out in Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. The genre of Will Grayson, Will Grayson is realistic fiction.
In Will Grayson, Will Grayson there are two main characters. They are Will Grayson and Will Grayson. In Will Grayson, Will Grayson the setting is in a high school. Will Grayson is just like every other teenager. He is harsh and rude. Will Grayson is a teenager who suffers with depression.
These two boys who have nothing in common fight, for whom means a lot to them. But not before learning a little bit about the characters. Will Grayson, Will Grayson I found was very confusing. It is very confusing and causes you to need to reread because you are never sure which boy is talking. I think people who like musicals and mature people would enjoy this book. This is good for someone who likes musicals because it takes place in a high school on stage. Also throughout the text it had inappropriate language. John Green is a very talented and good author and I enjoy most of his works. I don't know any of David Levithan works but I don't think this book gave me a good grasp on his works. They tried to take you along on the two boys journey. Overall I was not impressed and did not enjoy any part of this book. ( )
  JECLBR14 | Mar 5, 2015 |
A wonderfully campy, sweet, romantic gesture in the spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.
added by khuggard | editVOYA

Two superstar authors pair up and really deliver the goods, dishing up a terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy and savvy counsel.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, John Peters

...complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Diane P. Tuccillo

(for being so close)
-DL

To Tobias Huisman
-JG
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose."
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
There are probably some girls who don’t want guys to show up at their house randomly on a Tuesday night with questions about Edwin Schrodinger. I am sure such girls exist. But they don’t live at my house.

Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

When two teens, one gay and one straight, meet accidentally and discover that they share the same name, their lives become intertwined as one begins dating the other's best friend, who produces a play revealing his relationship with them both.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,725,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible