Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (edition 2010)

by John Green, David Levithan

3,4252091,575 (4.04)138
Member:valkeakuulas
Title:Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Authors:John Green
Other authors:David Levithan
Info:New York : Speak, cop. 2010.
Rating:*****

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (Author)

English (208)  Dutch (1)  All languages (209)
I'm torn about this one. On one hand, I really appreciated the skill it took to write this book. The voices of the two Will Graysons were perfect and perfectly distinct. The two plots were paced perfectly and intersected at critical moments without seeming too overwrought. I enjoyed it.

So why the low rating? I just ended it feeling unsatisfied. Very little of the book read like YA; it was a well-constructed, beautifully written novel that just happened to star teenagers. But then the ending was straight YA schlock. I felt like the authors sold their previous work, and the characters, short. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Chicago, coming of age, contemporary fiction, dating, depression, friendship, high school, homosexuality, humor, LGBTQ, love, musical theater, realistic fiction, relationships, young adult, ( )
  MzzColby | Jan 19, 2015 |
The story of two teenaged boys named Will Grayson, told in alternating first person chapters. Each Will Grayson is dealing with questions about friendships, relationships, and sexuality. Their chance meeting helps spur each of them toward better understanding of himself. Green and Levithan both handle voice brilliantly (each of them wrote the chapters about one of the Wills), and the interior emotional life of young men is tenderly but realistically rendered. All of the main characters leap off the page (Tiny Cooper, who I think is both someone we all probably knew in high school or college and someone unique and all his own, is unforgettable), and the climax, where the coincidence of the two Will Graysons meeting plays a part, is moving and perfect. Recommended unreservedly and most especially to anyone who wonders why adults should bother with YA. ( )
  lycomayflower | Jan 2, 2015 |
Enjoyed this book - wasn't entirely sure what to expect from it at first.

Accidentally spoiled part of the ending for myself looking up the book online.

Liked the first Will best of all at the start, liked his relationship with Jane; as the book went on the second Will grew on me.

Second Will's bits being all lowercase bothered me at first but I reached a point where I stopped noticing it. ( )
  ClicksClan | Dec 13, 2014 |
The audiobook was even more fabulous than the print book.

"It's hard to believe in coincidence, but it's even harder to believe in anything else." (114)

if my whole world is going to crash down around me, then i am going to make the sound of the crashing. (122) ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 24, 2014 |
A wonderfully campy, sweet, romantic gesture in the spectacular style that readers have come to expect from these two YA masters.
added by khuggard | editVOYA

Two superstar authors pair up and really deliver the goods, dishing up a terrific high-energy tale of teen love, lust, intrigue, anger, pain, and friendship threaded with generous measures of comedy and savvy counsel.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, John Peters

...complete with honest language, interesting characters, and a heartfelt, gritty edge, this quirky yet down-to-earth collaboration by two master YA storytellers will keep readers turning pages.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Diane P. Tuccillo

(for being so close)
-DL

To Tobias Huisman
-JG
When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose."
Tiny Cooper is not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay, and also the the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
There are probably some girls who don’t want guys to show up at their house randomly on a Tuesday night with questions about Edwin Schrodinger. I am sure such girls exist. But they don’t live at my house.

Will Grayson, meet Will Grayson

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high school stage.

When two teens, one gay and one straight, meet accidentally and discover that they share the same name, their lives become intertwined as one begins dating the other's best friend, who produces a play revealing his relationship with them both.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,655,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible