Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by…

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again (edition 2004)

by Frank Miller, Lynn Varley

Member:supermanboidy
Title:Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Authors:Frank Miller
Other authors:Lynn Varley
Info:
Rating:***

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller

This was so stupid and hyper-satirical, that it's pretty awesome. Raw, fast-paced and wacky.

Afterthoughts:

I'm not a DC/Marvel-reader (had to look up many of the DC character histories), but I can see the reasons for general discomfort this book has caused. But the truth is, discomfort and detachment are obviously what Miller wanted to inspire. Trying to consider this as a straight-forward sequel to DKR is a misplaced view. I consider The End of Evangelion of the NGE series as a close parallel to this. ( )
  Dalar | Jun 15, 2014 |
Sometimes it's good to confirm something is as bad as you thought it would be. Anyone with more maturity than the average 12-year-old has to find the attempts at satire to be pathetic. The story itself is equally bad. "Kingdom Come" covers some of the same ground but is much better and the artwork is a million times better too. I'm just saying. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Everything that was wrong with the Dark Knight Returns is in this book. That's why it sucks so much. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 20, 2013 |
Faking his own death and creating an underworld civilization, Bruce Wayne has been keeping his eye on the world above. And as that false Camelot reaches it's breaking point, it is up to the Dark Knight to emerge from the underground shadows and once again restore order to chaos.

It's been three years since the events of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and everything is just fine. At least on the surface. What the wold at large doesnt know is that it's a total sham. A perfectly choreographed, pretty little world where everything that is ugly, or even potentially disturbing is all nicely wrapped up with neat little ribbons and swept under the carpet. Only he knows better. He's watched it fester to near breaking point and it's time for the only free man left who can effect any real change to bring it all down around their ears once and for all

Written and illustrated by Frank Millar with colours by Lynn Varley.

Batman is in hiding. The JLA has been disbanded and is split between two main fault lines: the holier-than-thou-must protect-the-weak-humans ideaology of Superman and the lets-get-it-fixed-no-matter-the-cost attitude of the "missing" Batman.

Batman - who barely appears in a third of the strips - has decided it is time to fight back against all he sees as wrong. The President of the USA is a hologram of a figure who doesnt exist and is controlled by Lex Luthor. People have forgotten about their heroes and believe they either never existed or are dead. Wearing tights is seen as a fashion statement News channels produce inane coverage of justa bout anything

Oh where to begin (or end?). The illustrations are poor and messy. The inclusion of Catgirl (Carrie, who used to be Robin) and Lara (the daughter of Superman and Wonderwoman) does not counteract the presence of Superchix or the depiction of Wonderwoman herself (and her relationship with Superman). The following sentence, issued by Wonderwoman herself, gives an indication (even in 2002) the graphic novel's attitude toward women:

Where is the hero who thew me to the ground and took me as his rightful prize?. So are we talking Rape? Forced sex? A touch of BDSM? What?

Anyway, not impressed with this collection, and Mr Millar will not be one I will too eager to follow up on ( )
  nordie | Jun 9, 2013 |
Comic Shop Guy said this was worth reading for free.

Comic Shop Guy lied to me.

This is a jumbled story that makes no sense and pulls in every conceivable superhero, whether they're relevant to the story or not. Not that I can tell what the story is supposed to be, granted. This may be one of the least interesting Superman books I've read. (It was a Superman book, right? Since he was in it way more than Batman?)

Ugh. This was a library read and I still want my money back. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 30, 2013 |

Frank Millerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, Lynnmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Batman reemerges from his underworld civilization to battle the evils of Gotham, including power-hungry Lex Luther and Brainiac, and turns against other superheroes as he drifts closer and closer towards insanity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible