Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall

by Lauren Oliver

English (275)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (280)
REVIEW ON BLOG: http://chaibooks.blogspot.ca/2014/07/review-before-i-fall.html

Hm. What a roller-coaster YA read!

The Characters? Honestly? I hated them. Especially, but not exclusively, in the beginning portion of the novel. I did not relate nor did I find any sort of remorse for these characters. I just got angry at the shallow, horrible, stereotypical popular high school girl protagonists and her similar friends.
They were also not too believable. I am a girl in high-school, and I've dealt with my fair share of mean girls. The blatant abuse and cruelty that Lindsay and the others committed is just not believable and it made it angry. Half of a school screaming "PHYSCO" at one girl who peed her pants is something out of a bad Teen Disney movie (I know that's not why they were screaming physco but that's essentially why she was ostracized in the first place). Not good.
HOWEVER, as the story progressed the characters did improve albeit only slightly. We got to see more dimensions from some characters and back stories, ect. This did help me care about the story more, but this was towards the end. For the majority of the book, I was frustrated at the characters. I loved Kent, hated Rob, hated hated HATED Lindsay, ect.

The Setting? Typical high school in a small town. The names for some of the areas in the high school were super relate-able and funny. For example, there's always that one restroom that no one goes to, and there's an area that is "designated" for smokers. I really did love Kent's house and it's descriptors.

The Plot? It was fairly slow and I rolled my eyes at some of the absolute mundane problems that high school girls often encounter. However, again, as the storyline progressed and the characters gained some depth, the plot did as well. It was super interesting to see how the series of circumstances changed. I genuinely felt a sense of loss every time the day rewound. I quite enjoyed the ended, I felt it was necessary for someone to die, and I was glad it ended that way.

Overall? I didn't really know what to expect before reading. Before I Fall isn't the greatest young adult novel I've read, but it was unique and stands out from other YA reads. While I personally was frustrated with the mostly one-dimensional characters and the fairly teeny bopper esque plot line, I was intrigued with the novel. I ended up reading this in one day. It's a very easy read despite it's bigger size. ( )
  Naomi_ChaiBooks | Aug 20, 2014 |
Edgy and real. A great book to be on the TTT nominee list. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I've been looking forward to reading this for quite some time because I kept seeing this novel all over tumblr. Well, I guess it's fair to say that I wasn't exactly surprised, since my taste sadly usually differs from what you guys like.

Rating: 3/5 - was ok, I guess.

What it's about: Before I Fall tells the story of Samantha Kingston, a high school student that dies on Feburary 12th. The catch? She wakes up the next morning as if nothing happened and nobody remembers the events of the previous day. This repeats six times, and Samantha has to find a way to prevent her own death and get out of the vicious circle.

Writing 4/5

You can tell immedtialey that this is Lauren Oliver's first novel. Of course, for a first novel this is not bad and also really admirable that she made it to a publication. Given that she's a Creative Writing MFA graduate I'd lose hope in humanity if her writing was bad. Funny though, how she made exactly the same mistakes many authors make with their first novels, including myself. The writing may be very solid and clear, and not full of unnecessary metaphors (looking at you Tahereh Mafi), but surprise, good writing is not everything if you want to write a quality novel.

Characters 1/5

This is Lauren Oliver's biggest problem. The characters are completely irrelevant. The four friends Lindsey, Elody, Ally and Samantha are nothing but shells. Especially Elody and Ally are so replacable that I didn't get that they were even seperate people. (This is why you shouldn't give all your characters names that end on the same flipping letter!)

Samantha is nothing but annoying and her character development makes absolutely no sense. She's a teenager after all but by the end of the novel she suddenly had some kind of epiphany and blurted out Dalai-Lama-esque wisdom 24/7, when a day earlier she was obsessed with revenge and making out with every guy that showed remote interest in her. Don't get me started on the unnecessary squeezed in romance plot!

Plot 2/5

What plot? So Lauren Oliver had the idea to write Groundhog Day as an alternate High School universe novel. Fair enough. But that's it, there's nothing else happening besides Samantha acting as if 4 days of afterlife made her the allknowing queen of teenagers. Sorry, but no. Also she doesn't solve the situation and tell us why exactly this happened to our heroine, which one of my biggest book pet peeves.The only thing that kept me going was the hope for a great twist ending. Which obviousy never came, else I wouldn't be so angry.

Overall: Do I recommend?

Eh. I'm not so stoked on this. I know not everyone is as critical as I am and many of you enjoyed it. If you just want to lean back, dive in and turn your brain off, it's alright. I love, love, love Lauren Oliver's writing style. It's so clean and to the point, she just gets the story down. Love that. But that's about all I love about Before I Fall. No recommendation for you. Frowny face.

More book-related stuff on my blog. www.bookavid.tumblr.com ( )
  bookavid | Aug 7, 2014 |
This book was a masterpiece.

Not just because I related to several different aspects of the story, not just because it was moving and the strongest, most impactful book I've ever read. Not just because the writing was beautiful, flawless. In spite of the ending, when I avoid endings like this at all costs.

I hate how it ended. I wish, I wish, I wish... But it was perfect, done exactly the way it had to be, even if it hurts, even when it feels senseless.

It was a masterpiece. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
This is a story of a girl who relives a day over and over until she can get it right. She lives that day again again until she can find out what she is supposed to do. I would recommend this book to anybody who likes books by Ned Vizzini or Lauren Oliver's other book Delirium. It's good for holding people's attention. It keeps you guessing, what's going to happen next. ( )
  hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenage Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible