Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall

by Lauren Oliver

2,6973212,198 (4)102

English (314)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (320)
Sam Kingston is one of the popular girls, the kind who walk through school as if they owned the hallways. One night she is given the opportunity to not only examine her life, but those of her friends, family and the peers she would never even consider talking to, that is, until she has time for introspection and empathy.

The comparison to Groundhog Day is obvious, but Lauren Oliver steps beyond. There are similarities. The two character reliving the same day have similar reactions and traits, but while the Bill Murray characters evolves somewhat, Sam Kingston evolves totally.

There are many beautifully written passages and some exceptional insights into human existence. There are human foibles, the belief that a little is enough and then realizing that it can never be enough.

This is a compelling, thought-provoking read. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
If you can look past the very clear use of the "Groundhog Day" movie plot line, there are some entertaining bits of this novel. Watching Sam go from mindless mean girl to someone who recognizes the value of life - hers and others - is the one redeeming point of this story but I can't say I found the ending very satisfying. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 17, 2016 |
Before I Fall

For the first few chapters I thought it was really cliché: classic upper-class, bitchy, popular girls taking over their high-school where their only worries are parties, makeup, boys, clothes, and popularity contests. I trudged through the first few chapters and kept on reading and it started to get interesting; the main character, Sam, grows and develops as the book progresses so it seems like the reader is growing with her. This book is somewhat inception-like because it becomes a tangled mess of time, death, and memories. As Sam's character grows throughout the book, she becomes more real, raw, and relatable. I could not stop reading this book because I wanted to know what happens. On the other hand, I was unhappy with how Lauren Oliver ended the book and wish she had ended it in a different way. I would not say it is a happy ending, however, and I would not say it is an unhappy ending. ( )
  ZenaKashat | Apr 14, 2016 |
I didn't start out liking this book because the main character wasn't likable. She was an ugly human being and sometimes, it's hard to pity people like that. But Oliver did a beautiful job weaving together the choices we make and relationships that we keep and how life can change because of the ebb and flow of things. That's life! Oliver is one of my favorite authors because she takes real life and keeps real life realist. Sam didn't just change over night. No, because that's not how people are. We are stubborn and hardheaded, but eventually, she saw the error of her ways and began to see that she had friends that were one way and she loved them, but didn't want to be like them. This story is also beautiful because it shows us that we shouldn't place social opinion of ourself that highly. Life is too short for that. I don't normally like "realist fiction" but this one was well written and believable. It taught a lesson and that in a book is priceless. ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible