Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall

by Lauren Oliver

English (352)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (358)
This was a surprisingly good YA Romance of sorts with a Groundhog Day twist. For the first fifty - eighty pages or so I was wondering why I was sticking with the book, but then soon enough I found myself unable to put it down. It's always a surprise when something I'm lukewarm about turns the corner; a happy surprise, but a surprise nonetheless. This is the classic YA book with despicable characters, the Queen Bees and Wannabees that Tina Fey wrote so well. Yet what began at first as standard fare slowly changed into something compassionate, and ultimately moving. The ending, while broadcast from a mile away, still managed to be painful to read. Isn't that the mark of a good book, after all?

This book essentially asks the same question Groundhog Day did. What do you do when you find yourself living the same day over and over? The added twist is that the day tends to end with your death, and that the way out of this loop is uncertain. What follows is a deconstruction of an array of characters, and of popularity itself. Can there be compassion for the 'mean girl' most popular girl in school? What makes some people get picked on, and some not? What is love, exactly, and how do you feel it? The book is the slow realization that it isn't all about you and that other people have their own lives and complexities. That that is as it should be and beautiful. It's a surprisingly deep and complex bit of YA beneath the shades of the shallow that used to, and still can, dominate the genre.

This book was a pleasant surprise, and one I'm glad I looked into after seeing Karen's review. So, thank you Karen! I enjoy stalking your GoodReads and following your suggestions, even when they're not [a: Jonathan Carroll|23704|Jonathan Carroll|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1222900262p2/23704.jpg]. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Wow. I really liked this one a lot. A dark adolescent version of Groundhog Day. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
DNF ( )
  SimplyKelina | Apr 22, 2018 |
A story of how one day can change your life--if you let it! Thought provoking. It's always interesting when you don't particularly like the main character of a book and get to see her grow, develop and change and then end of liking her. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
I don't usually read YA, but I really liked this book. I'm not quite sure I understand the ending, but this book had a death grip on my attention while I was reading it. While Sam wasn't incredibly likable in the beginning, something about her narrative made me want to keep reading. I was a little nervous about reading a YA book, but the writing was excellent. I would definitely read another book by this author. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,990,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible