Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall (edition 2011)

by Lauren Oliver

Member:Mahayla.Bainter
Title:Before I Fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

English (289)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (295)
WHAT THE ---- !!!!!!!! ( )
  mszettiel | Jul 7, 2015 |
No-recomendado por Kari Ramírez

Me propongo leer de principio a fin libros considerados "malos". Mi intención es encontrar al menos UNA cualidad buena en ellos y reseñarlos objetivamente siguiendo 20 puntos a desarrollar brevemente. (Los puntos varían según el género del que se trate.)

Si tienen ganas de No-recomendarme otros libros
pueden comentar acá o ACÁ. ¡Cualquier género es bienvenido! Cuanto más variado, mejor :)
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I have to admit, I went into Before I Fall with a very "bleh" attitude. I was still on a high from reading the Vampire Academy books and I did NOT feel like some mushy, angst-ridden, "oh no, existential anxiety plus moral lesson" book.

I was pleasantly surprised. I found in the prologue everything I feared the book would be: Angsty, over-written guilt-fest. Ugh. I even thought about just shelving it and trying something else, but I hate leaving books unfinished, so I resolved to stick it out until at least the second chapter or the first twenty pages, whichever came first. I fully expected to have to drudge through that before being able to give up with a sigh of relief and an "at least you tried" backpat.

However, when I started with the book itself, I literally couldn't tear myself away. I didn't take any bathroom breaks, I didn't eat anything, I drank the coffee that my husband brought to me and nothing else. It's lucky for my kids I started reading this on a Saturday morning, because I was incapable of looking after them or even getting them some juice. (Luckily their dad is great, and a reader himself so he understood. Love ya!).

The character of Sam drew me in immediately. I liked her, even though she was everything (and everyone) I hated in high school and after - fake, does anything to fit in with the popular kids, quite frankly a jerk ass asshat of the nth degree. I really cannot pinpoint why, exactly - she's just that well-written.

And that's the strength of the story. All the characters but especially Sam is so well written that you happily relive the same day seven times with them all, seeing how they react, how they change, discovering their secrets and their fears.

This book blew me away, although the prose was pretty purple at times and by the sixth day I was getting impatient with Sam's not-getting-it-ness. Still, a great read and one I wish every teenager going through popularity drama (either being unpopular or popular, or just struggling to be themselves in general) would read. I know it would have changed my world as a teenager, and I plan to make it required reading for my three children.

RECOMMENDED FOR: Teens. Even though there's some smoking and swearing and talk about sex, I really don't think it's anything anyone older than 12 or so wouldn't be able to handle. Also, anyone who still sometimes feel their inner teenager/child rebelling, or just plain likes reading damn good books. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
The book before I fall written by Lauren Oliver was very good except for the ending. The ending was a cliffhanger because the main character Samantha Kingston had the perfect life, perfect boyfriend, perfect friends and was one of the most popular girls at Thomas Jefferson high. Until one day February 12 the Friday of them what their school called Cupid day is when Samantha went to a party with her friends and got drunk and this girl her Juliet Sykes who the four of them had bullied for many years, went up to them and called them all bitches, after that she went home and killed herself. After many days of which Sam lives the same day over again until she fixes her mistakes. On her last day of living the four friends went to the party and Juliet was about to kill herself by jumping in front of two cars Sam pushed Juliet out of the way and Sam died from saving Juliet. This is courageous of Sam but it was a very sudden ending, but some parts were predictable the plot drives forward and shows in detail of Sam's choices. ( )
  RaViBr14 | Apr 5, 2015 |
Living the same day over and over again; the day when you die. This is what happens to Samantha, the main character. She relives this day seven times trying to change the lives of some people before she dies. Each night though she dies again. Samantha was to save many other lives before she loses hers.
I really enjoyed this book. I though that the author did a really good job keeping the repeating day interesting and not just repeating the same facts each day. The author did a nice job with the emotions of the characters. She did a good job portraying the panic and heartache of the characters. I would definitely recommend this book for people who like sad yet extremely exciting books. Lauren nOliver does a great job of keeping this book suspenseful. ( )
  chgrbr14 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,381,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible