Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall (edition 2011)

by Lauren Oliver

Member:Mahayla.Bainter
Title:Before I Fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Recently added byjadacakes16, ThatCatLady, private library, DavidCrisp, JBP11, kdoele, thebookmagpie, starcie

English (316)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (322)
Ugh. I was so on board with this until the end. So literally the only way that she can stop Juliet from committing suicide is to sacrifice herself? And big ole meanie Sam deserves to die so much more than Juliet because...? I don't know, but after spending all this time with Sam and getting to see her make positive changes in her life, I think it's a total cop-out to make her not have to follow through with these changes. What's the point in teaching her all these things about herself if she doesn't have to change, not really? Her friends won't get the chance to change with her - because she's dead. And surely Juliet is now going to shoulder the blame for Sam's death, thus making her inherent problems even worse - I'd be pretty pissed off if my best friend died trying to save you because you ran out in front of a car. ARGH.

Also it's just plain stupid that there was no other way to prevent Juliet dying. And why was this Sam's responsibility anyway? I'm always reminded of that scene in Buffy, in the episode Earshot, where Jonathan's going to kill himself:

JONATHAN: Stop saying my name like we're friends! We're not friends! You all think I'm an idiot! A short idiot!
BUFFY: I don't. I don't think about you much at all. Nobody here really does. Bugs you, doesn't it. You have all this pain, and all these feelings and nobody's really paying attention.
JONATHAN: You think I just want attention?
BUFFY: No. I think you're up in the clock tower with a high-powered rifle because you wanna blend in. Believe it or not, Jonathan, I understand about the pain.
JONATHAN: Oh right. Because the burden of being beautiful and athletic, that's a crippler.
BUFFY: You know what? I was wrong. You are an idiot. My life happens to, on occasion, suck beyond the telling of it. Sometimes more than I can handle. And it's not just mine. Every single person down there is ignoring your pain because they're too busy with their own.The beautiful ones. The popular ones. The guys that pick on you. Everyone. If you could hear what they were feeling. The loneliness. The confusion. It looks quiet down there. It's not. It's deafening

In short, well written and characterised book let down by the worst ending I could have imagined the author giving it. I'm not pissed off because the ending was sad - I'm pissed off because the ending was morally horrible and rendered the preceding 465 pages completely pointless. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a bit long, but it reads very quickly. The plot surprised me, and that's always a good thing. The only thing I dislike about some YA books is the tendency of the author to namedrop brands of clothes,jewelry, etc because it comes off (to me) as a desperate attempt by the author to seem cool to the reader. Otherwise, I liked the plot and was happy with the resolution of the story. I thought that maybe some of the drinking and other situations encountered were maybe inappropriate for the intended audience, but then I realized that it's nothing worse than what's on TV or anything that I read at that age. ( )
  jp0058 | Jul 26, 2016 |
This was much a good book. I only wish I could have read it in one sitting! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
13 Reasons Why and Groundhog Day movie all rolled into one . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Sam Kingston is one of the popular girls, the kind who walk through school as if they owned the hallways. One night she is given the opportunity to not only examine her life, but those of her friends, family and the peers she would never even consider talking to, that is, until she has time for introspection and empathy.

The comparison to Groundhog Day is obvious, but Lauren Oliver steps beyond. There are similarities. The two character reliving the same day have similar reactions and traits, but while the Bill Murray characters evolves somewhat, Sam Kingston evolves totally.

There are many beautifully written passages and some exceptional insights into human existence. There are human foibles, the belief that a little is enough and then realizing that it can never be enough.

This is a compelling, thought-provoking read. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,332,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible