Before I fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I fall (edition 2010)

by Lauren Oliver

2,6453172,261 (4)102
Member:Raina-Raine
Title:Before I fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:New York : Harper, c2010.
Collections:INFM 208
Rating:*****
Tags:death, peer pressure, popularity, bullying, suicide, friendship, young adult fiction, redemption, teen, YRCA 2013, self-perception

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

English (307)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (313)
The Good: Groundhog's Day meets Mean Girls is a premise to get excited about. You'll be disappointed, but at least you'll always remember how awesome the premise was.

The Bad: People love Lauren Oliver's books. I want to love her book. I try, but they're so ridiculous. I really enjoy young adult books, but I think these are the type that you just can't relate to unless you're a teen. Like Delirium, Before I Fall focuses on teen love. It's a common enough theme. Problem is, these books seem to revolve around the worst reactions to a common feeling. Sam is the epitome of self-centered. It's me, me, me. Even in death, the world must revolve around her and her feelings and her ideas of what should and shouldn't happen. Any bad things that happen must be someone else's fault. Oliver took the whole mean girl thing and made it a complete caricature, and then expected us to believe in Sam and want her to find a way to be redeemed. Except she gave us no reason to care about her and all the reasons in the world to wish she's gone straight to hell. ( )
  TequilaReader | Feb 7, 2016 |
This was engaging, although I did have a hard time connecting with the various characters and found the ending rather bittersweet. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
The moment of death is full of heat and sound and pain bigger than anything, a funnel of burning heat splitting me in two, something searing and scorching and tearing, and if screaming were a feeling it would be this. Then nothing.

Samantha Kingston (Sam) is a popular high school senior and today is Friday, February 12th, Cupid Day, her favorite. Today she knows that she and her popular friends will receive many roses. But the day doesn't end as she expected. She goes to a party with her friends and on the way home, they get into an accident and Sam dies... then she wakes up to her alarm and realizes it's February 12th again. Was it just a dream? Was it a vision? Sam doesn't know what is going on, but she continues to relive Cupid Day, over and over again. She tries to figure things out. She tries to change things, but nothing seems to work. Can she save herself and her friends?

First of all, I have to say that I didn't read the book jacket right before I read the book. I might have read it when I first bought the e-book, but I forgot what it was about. It was on my Kindle, so I read it. I was surprised by what happened.

I was kind of bored with the book until the accident. It just seemed like the same old high school story and really didn't interest me. Then Sam woke up and her day was repeating. That peaked my curiosity. I wanted to know why the day was repeating and if Sam would change and become a better person. It reminded me a lot of Groundhog Day (the movie) but I still enjoyed it very much. The characters were very strong. I loved some, hated others and even sympathized with others. I cringed when the popular girls were mean and it broke my heart when the unpopular kids were treated so poorly.

Recommended to:
Older teens and adults. There is a lot of talk about sex and there is drinking, so it might not be appropriate for younger teens.
All in all, if you like high school stories and stories where characters have a chance for redemption, you will enjoy this book. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I loved this book - flat out loved it. If there were more than 5 stars I would give it that! Considering that I was reluctant to read this book the way I feel now is even more impressive a change. I don't like books in which the main character (or characters) die! I hate getting emotionally attached to characters and knowing that I will have to feel the pain of their death. (Titanic anyone?) That feeling isn't one that I willingly put myself through.

Even after all that, I would still recommend this book for the beautiful way the author uses language, the realistic characters, and the compelling plot. ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
This book made my brain hurt.

Full review can be seen here:

[WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS]

http://yerawizardrenae.blogspot.com/2014/08/book-review-before-i-fall-by-lauren.... ( )
  RenaeMcBrian | Jan 31, 2016 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,141,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible