Before I fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I fall (edition 2010)

by Lauren Oliver

Member:alexiscartwheel
Title:Before I fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:New York : Harper, c2010.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, young adult

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

2010 (20) 2011 (15) ARC (14) bullying (72) car accidents (17) coming of age (36) Connecticut (19) contemporary (12) death (155) ebook (26) fantasy (28) fate (14) favorites (15) fiction (122) friendship (65) high school (71) mean girls (21) own (13) popularity (57) read (16) redemption (17) relationships (19) romance (22) self-perception (13) suicide (61) teen (35) to-read (118) YA (121) young adult (149) young adult fiction (17)

English (269)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (274)
I know a lot of people loved this book, found it deep and profound and moving. Or whatever. So I’ll be brief.

Before I Fall by Lauren OliverBeforeIFallHC-jkt-final

Sam Kingston is a former-inviso-girl turned 2nd-tier-Queen-Bee. She has finally caught her prize meathead’s eye, she gets wasted at all the right parties, and she has effectively strong-armed an acceptable number of people into sending her status-symbol roses on Cupid Day. Life is everything she plowed under her personality hoping to achieve, until the night she dies in a fiery car wreck. Or does she die? Sam relives the same day seven times until she finds a way to give her squandered existence some small significance.

This book is well-written. All of the characters are well-rounded, and the plot is engaging enough. I thought I felt nothing about it but now I think I don’t like it. It’s a big ol’ nothing. A writing exercise in how the same miserable, shitty, rudderless girl can re-live the same day in different ways. And it’s nearly five hundred pages long. What, exactly, is the point Ms. Oliver? The novel is written as though Sam is obviously an everygirl, but I suspect you were exorcizing some of your own demons.

I’m sure some girls relate to this book. I’m sure some find it cathartic. I found it pointless and kind of depressing. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
This book is amazing! You can feel the desperation of Sam on the last days of her 'life' especially the last one. This book will really get you thinking. You'll think on what you're gonna do when you're on her shoes. It got me thinking. It is truly sad to not have so long of a time to change things. To leave a mark. A footprint on everyone. To somehow change yourself for such a short time. This book is great. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
The first thing I learned while reading Before I Fall? Lauren Oliver is an amazing writer. I fell in love with her writing style in Delirium, but had mixed thoughts about Pandemonium, so I wasn't sure how I would feel about her writing something more contemporary. Lauren Oliver has this amazing way of saying the most beautiful things without her prose sounding overly flowering or like something that could never come from a teenager’s mouth. It’s unlike any other author’s writing that I can think of. It just stands out so well.

Even though I flew through this book, I admit it was hard at times because of Samantha, the main character. She’s definitely one of her high school’s “mean girls”, and like most people, I experienced my share of humiliation at the hands of popular girls in my high school as well, which made me want to dislike Samantha. Lauren Oliver made that hard, though. Samantha and her friends do some pretty awful things, but it’s not like they’re just awful people. Along the way, we see the potential each of them has to be an amazing adult once they grow out of that “immature/popular” stage. Samantha and her friends genuinely care about each other, despite their flaws, and seek to protect one another. I was torn between wanting to hate them and not being able to. By the end of the book, none of them are that much better off than where they started, but there is some growth. Emotionally, I did want to see more change in the girls, but I think the way it was portrayed was more realistic.

The way the story was structured, over the course of seven days, worked really well. I thought I would tire of Samantha living the same day over and over, but enough changed each day to make it interesting. I enjoyed the latter half of the novel more than the first half.The first couple of days that Samantha relives, she spends most of her time trying to figure out what’s going on. Not quite as gripping as days four through seven.

This book, to me, showcases all the best features that good young adult literature has to offer: great and realistic characterization of teenagers, even the ones that are mean, a good look at the fragile structure of a high school social ladder, and the exploration of identity and moving past mistakes. Samantha isn’t a saint by the end of the novel, by any means, but she really begins to explore herself and the person she is and who she wants to be. She also realizes that her actions have consequences, but not in a way that seems at all preachy or forced.

Final Impression: Going back to the days of high school is not exactly fun, but Before I Fall does a terrific job of really exploring a teenager’s identity. The premise of the book is perfect for the story that Lauren Oliver is trying to tell, and her writing is just absolutely stunning. 5/5 stars.

Review first posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
So i started to read the book.... First 100 pages I was feeling that I was reading an episode of 90210. I was in a love - hate relation with the book. I was keeping reading because is very well written and invites to do it. But then the book started to transform itself, started to get more powerful and I understood the road to redemption.
Is a beautiful book it teach us to pay more attention to the small details to enjoy more each moment of our lives, and if you are already out os school and university sometimes it can make you nostalgic and make you want to go to that years, when you have a card of possibilities of what will you do after.... It surprise me in the good way, I was planning to give it 3 stars, but I just keep reading, and a little bit as Sam I start to understand... ( )
  CaroPi | Jun 22, 2014 |
Samantha Kingston is one of the most popular girls at school along with her best friends, Lindsay, Elody and Ally. But she ruins all that because she got in the car with her friends when they were drunk and got into an accident. It was February 12th, Cupid day. Friends and boy/girlfriends could send you a rose with a message on it. Sam always got a lot. Kent, a boy who used to be her bestfriend but now pretends he doesn't exist, sends her one. She just throws it away. He invites her to a party at his house that night. He secretly likes her but its not much of a secret because everyone, including Sam, knows. She decides to go. Lindsay is a crazy driver anyway but they never thought they could die because everyone loves them. Bad Mistake. For the next seven day Sam relives this day over and over trying to prevent things and live they day correctly. All of which includes kissing Kent, breaking up with her boyfriend Rob, not getting in the car with Lindsay and watching Eldoy die, and finally hearing the big news that Juliet Skyes kills herself. She can't cross over until she relives the day how it was supposed to be lived. I loved this book. At the beginning it was rocky and I couldn't get into the who storyline but as the book went on it got great.
  br14aido | May 15, 2014 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenage Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,228,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible