Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall (edition 2011)

by Lauren Oliver

Member:MrsBush
Title:Before I Fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:teen issues, bullying, cliques, suicide, mature content

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

English (330)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (336)
I love this cover. I can still remember the moment I saw it for the first time on the shelves at Barnes and Noble. The girl's face looked positively serene and I knew that I had to find out what this book was about. Reading the summary further convinced me that I had to open it up. I've waited for about two years to actually read this book and unfortunately it wasn't quite worth the wait.

I found it really difficult to like this book. I cannot recall any other book where I so despised the main character as I did with Samantha Kingston. She is truly an awful girl and her friendships and life are nothing more than superficial. There was never a turning point for me. I never started to like her. Not once did I begin to root for her. I just couldn't care less.

On top of that the ending left a lot to be desired. It was disappointing that we went through all that we had for an ending like that. (Even though I didn't like it, I'm certainly not going to spoil it!)

Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
i didn't like it. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Holy shit this book was fantastic.

What else would you expect from the great Lauren Oliver who wrote the equally beautiful and lyrical Delirium.

Seriously, I'm not into re-wording plot summaries that you can get from the blurb up top, here's just my opinion.

OHMYGOD. Beautiful. Just great. I wish she would do more stand alone novels. Sometimes it gets tiring to read so many dystopians and paranormal-romance books that it feels good to pick up a more normal stand alone novel that you can better relate too. And although this one has it's not so normal quirks I think all the straight-to-the-heart emotions are there.

And it will break your heart. So that's probably a fair warning. But if it counts for anything you'll enjoy having read the story even through the tears after you close the book. ( )
  AnaV93 | Jun 17, 2017 |
Sam has a great life with popular friends, Lindsey, Ally, and Elody until she starts reliving the last day of her life over and over again. She becomes her own antagonist as she struggles with herself to make the right decisions. When she finally realizes what is important in life, the story is able to come to it’s conclusion. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 23, 2017 |
I've been browsing a lot of reviews of this book, and I feel like I got something different out of it than most people did. I enjoyed this novel. I did. I tried reading it once before, and I couldn't get passed the first day because Sam annoyed me so much. She's the type of character I hate because she just doesn't get anything. She thinks she's high and mighty and cares about no one but herself and her cliquey friends. However, I decided to give this book a second chance because I convinced myself that she'd get better. And she does .

Sam goes from a self-centered, for lack of a better term, bitch into a girl who actually seems to care about the world around her. She sees the pain of others and realizes that it's her and people like her who cause this pain. She realizes that there is more to people than what's on the surface, and she even discovers this true of her closest friends... and herself.

The characters in this book become likable, which is unusual for me because I general find characters unlikable as the story progresses. The different layers of the characters are revealed one by one and you soon realize that no one is as they seem. This is what drives the story, this reveal of character.

Mild spoilers for the next bit.

The plot itself is not unique (so many people have made reference to Groundhog Day) but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. We root for Sam and we groan at her many mistakes. On her "bad" day, I was seriously worried that this would be the part when Sam wakes up the next day and has to live with her consequences. While that would have been very fun, the story takes a different route as the day is wiped away once again. But still, the story is enjoyable and it's nice to see not only Sam, but other characters develop.

As for the ending... I'm somewhat confused as to what I believed happened. It's ambiguous in a way, and this is where I think my opinion diverges from others. A part of me believes that the first day was Sam's true death. She died the first day, and this was the life she lived. The rest was a limbo state. She had to relive that day in order to make peace with herself, not to save Juliet. I personally don't really understand why she had to save Juliet, unless it's due to a guilt trip she was having. In my opinion, Sam was feeling guilty about her life and her choices, and she was forced to relive the day over and over until she was satisfied with her life and she could die in peace. For me, this means that the seventh day never happened beside in Sam's mind.

Pessimistic, right?

But it fits with the theme of 'you only get one chance.' Sam's just a lucky one; she gets 7. ( )
  ainjel | Apr 28, 2017 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible