Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall (edition 2011)

by Lauren Oliver

Member:MrsBush
Title:Before I Fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:teen issues, bullying, cliques, suicide, mature content

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Recently added byhbsweet, Gillyisanotaku, private library, Holley0109, hockeyzc58, Pigletto
2010 (20) 2011 (15) ARC (14) bullying (72) car accidents (17) coming of age (36) Connecticut (19) contemporary (12) death (155) ebook (26) fantasy (28) fate (14) favorites (15) fiction (122) friendship (65) high school (71) mean girls (21) own (13) popularity (57) read (16) redemption (17) relationships (19) romance (22) self-perception (13) suicide (61) teen (35) to-read (118) YA (121) young adult (149) young adult fiction (17)

English (271)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (276)
This is a story of a girl who relives a day over and over until she can get it right. She lives that day again again until she can find out what she is supposed to do. I would recommend this book to anybody who likes books by Ned Vizzini or Lauren Oliver's other book Delirium. It's good for holding people's attention. It keeps you guessing, what's going to happen next. ( )
  hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
I know a lot of people loved this book, found it deep and profound and moving. Or whatever. So I’ll be brief.

Before I Fall by Lauren OliverBeforeIFallHC-jkt-final

Sam Kingston is a former-inviso-girl turned 2nd-tier-Queen-Bee. She has finally caught her prize meathead’s eye, she gets wasted at all the right parties, and she has effectively strong-armed an acceptable number of people into sending her status-symbol roses on Cupid Day. Life is everything she plowed under her personality hoping to achieve, until the night she dies in a fiery car wreck. Or does she die? Sam relives the same day seven times until she finds a way to give her squandered existence some small significance.

This book is well-written. All of the characters are well-rounded, and the plot is engaging enough. I thought I felt nothing about it but now I think I don’t like it. It’s a big ol’ nothing. A writing exercise in how the same miserable, shitty, rudderless girl can re-live the same day in different ways. And it’s nearly five hundred pages long. What, exactly, is the point Ms. Oliver? The novel is written as though Sam is obviously an everygirl, but I suspect you were exorcizing some of your own demons.

I’m sure some girls relate to this book. I’m sure some find it cathartic. I found it pointless and kind of depressing. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
This book is amazing! You can feel the desperation of Sam on the last days of her 'life' especially the last one. This book will really get you thinking. You'll think on what you're gonna do when you're on her shoes. It got me thinking. It is truly sad to not have so long of a time to change things. To leave a mark. A footprint on everyone. To somehow change yourself for such a short time. This book is great. ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
The first thing I learned while reading Before I Fall? Lauren Oliver is an amazing writer. I fell in love with her writing style in Delirium, but had mixed thoughts about Pandemonium, so I wasn't sure how I would feel about her writing something more contemporary. Lauren Oliver has this amazing way of saying the most beautiful things without her prose sounding overly flowering or like something that could never come from a teenager’s mouth. It’s unlike any other author’s writing that I can think of. It just stands out so well.

Even though I flew through this book, I admit it was hard at times because of Samantha, the main character. She’s definitely one of her high school’s “mean girls”, and like most people, I experienced my share of humiliation at the hands of popular girls in my high school as well, which made me want to dislike Samantha. Lauren Oliver made that hard, though. Samantha and her friends do some pretty awful things, but it’s not like they’re just awful people. Along the way, we see the potential each of them has to be an amazing adult once they grow out of that “immature/popular” stage. Samantha and her friends genuinely care about each other, despite their flaws, and seek to protect one another. I was torn between wanting to hate them and not being able to. By the end of the book, none of them are that much better off than where they started, but there is some growth. Emotionally, I did want to see more change in the girls, but I think the way it was portrayed was more realistic.

The way the story was structured, over the course of seven days, worked really well. I thought I would tire of Samantha living the same day over and over, but enough changed each day to make it interesting. I enjoyed the latter half of the novel more than the first half.The first couple of days that Samantha relives, she spends most of her time trying to figure out what’s going on. Not quite as gripping as days four through seven.

This book, to me, showcases all the best features that good young adult literature has to offer: great and realistic characterization of teenagers, even the ones that are mean, a good look at the fragile structure of a high school social ladder, and the exploration of identity and moving past mistakes. Samantha isn’t a saint by the end of the novel, by any means, but she really begins to explore herself and the person she is and who she wants to be. She also realizes that her actions have consequences, but not in a way that seems at all preachy or forced.

Final Impression: Going back to the days of high school is not exactly fun, but Before I Fall does a terrific job of really exploring a teenager’s identity. The premise of the book is perfect for the story that Lauren Oliver is trying to tell, and her writing is just absolutely stunning. 5/5 stars.

Review first posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenage Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible