Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall (edition 2011)

by Lauren Oliver

2,9203311,971 (3.97)105
Member:MrsBush
Title:Before I Fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:teen issues, bullying, cliques, suicide, mature content

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

English (325)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All (331)
Samantha is popular, with a gorgeous boyfriend and a group of best friends others in the school would die to be a part of. But it's Samantha who dies-and then wakes up, to relieve that last day of her life over and over again.

What does Samantha need to do to get it right this time? To figure it out, she will have to decide what really matters to her, and what is truly important in life.

Oliver made high school come alive all over again for me in this book. I felt like I was right there with the characters, and it made me remember so vividly what it was like to be that age, riding in my best friend's car, music blasting.

This is also such an interesting concept for a book, and Oliver pulls it off well. Things never seen repetitive or boring, and there is a lot of suspense.

I sometimes felt like character development was a bit rushed. Despite this being a long book (over 400 pages), some characters still felt a bit one dimensional, with Oliver adding in details to flesh them out that just didn't really come together for me. I sometimes struggled with understanding the characters' motivations, even the main character and the reasoning behind her big changes.

This is a book I enjoyed, and that kept me interested--I flew through it, despite its length. But I didn't love it. Despite how well Oliver made the characters come alive, they still didn't feel as developed and three dimensional as I wanted them to be. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Feb 17, 2017 |
It's basically just Groundhog Day but for teenagers. Aside from the implied duplication of a previous movie one of the worst examples of bad taste is that as the author was using various examples to show how vacuous and self involved her characters were she felt the need to have the main character deride special needs students going so far as to claim they drooled in the cafeteria during lunch. It was incredibly insensitive as it was in no way needed as part of the story line and was overkill by the author. Having multiple family members who are classified as special needs students it was heart-wrenching to see yet another example of people like them being bullied even if it was in a literary world.

I can only hope that as this was made into a movie because they forgot Bill Murray already had a version out years ago, making fun of special needs students will be left out. ( )
  ttsheehan | Feb 9, 2017 |
I don't know if any book other than Perks perfectly describes the angst of being a teen and explores the concept of people hurting each other just to FEEL something. ( )
  ncruse37 | Feb 8, 2017 |
i wasn't sure whether i would like this book since i wasn't a huge fan of the delirium trilogy but there was no need to worry at all! this book had me hooked from page 1 and i literally could not put the thing down. i'm terrible at book reviews so i'm going to keep it short but i loved this book, the concept was original (or at least, i haven't read anything like it before) and the character development was fantastic. i'm usually intimidated by contemporary books because most of the books i read are fantasies and it's hard for me to get in to contemporaries so i'm surprised in a really nice way that i was able to enjoy this book. now i have to decide whether to buy acomaf in paperback, hardcover or kindle edition. (the story of my life!) ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
This was a decent YA contemporary fiction book with an element of magical realism to it. This book reminded me a lot of the Groundhog Day movie starring Bill Murray. Basically our heroine has to relive the same day over and over again; each time she figures out more about the people around her.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator did a great job. She sounds exactly like I am imaging Sam would and did a good job on other character voices as well.

Think of this as a high school mean girl version of Groundhog Day. There is a ton of high school drama. Sam is incredibly unlikable at the beginning of the book but she grows a lot as the book continues.

This book will make you think...some. Honestly this book doesn’t do anything all that creative; basically it analyzes bullying from the bully’s perspective and looks at how some cruelty is just plain thoughtlessness. I did like the character growth but felt that Sam remained fairly selfish throughout. Sam changes from being mean to people because she discounts them, to trying to help them to help herself move on with life. Throughout it all her main goal is to help herself.

Don’t get me wrong at times it's an engaging read and very emotional. It was an interesting change of pace for me since I read mostly fantasy. However, there wasn’t a lot here that many other YA books haven’t already addressed.

The ending completely sucks, although I don't think it could have kept with the tone of the story and ended any other way. I felt incredibly bad for the “nice guy” character of Kent; in the end I feel like he was the one screwed over the worst.

Overall I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything all that special. It’s definitely not a “feel good” book, so be prepared to be depressed by it. The story is engaging and the characters are decently done. It’s pretty much a “mean girls” version of the Groundhog’s Day movie. This is the third Oliver book I have read this month (I got them at an Audible sale) and I think I am done with her as an author. Everything I’ve read so far by her has been okay but not great. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 18, 2016 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me.
One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenaged Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,510,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible