Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall (edition 2011)

by Lauren Oliver

2,211None2,918 (4.05)99
Member:MrsBush
Title:Before I Fall
Authors:Lauren Oliver
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:teen issues, bullying, cliques, suicide, mature content

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

2010 (20) 2011 (15) ARC (14) bullying (71) car accidents (17) coming of age (36) Connecticut (19) death (152) ebook (26) fantasy (28) fate (14) favorites (13) fiction (121) friendship (65) high school (70) mean girls (20) own (13) popularity (55) read (15) read in 2010 (13) redemption (16) relationships (19) romance (23) self-perception (13) suicide (61) teen (34) to-read (92) YA (117) young adult (146) young adult fiction (17)

English (264)  German (3)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (269)
I am so in love with this book that I know this review is going to come out all rambly and blabby, but here goes...

I love this book. I really, really, really love this book. The whole thing seems effortless. Its like the characters burst from the pages fully-formed even though I didn’t quite remember reading any character development. It all just flows together. I thought I was going to get annoyed with reading the same day over and over again and waiting and waiting for a punch line that would surely only show up in the end. It was nothing like that. Every day was important, every sentence edging us closer and closer. It’s the writing. It is so good. It is just ..... GOOD. I love Oliver’s descriptions. I love the things she thinks up to make something make sense. Feelings are described so delicately and so poignantly that I KNOW Oliver has made me understand perfectly what she means. Sometimes complex (or even simple) feelings can get a little lost in the words of a novel but not when Oliver is in control. There is something luxurious about her writing style.

As for the plot itself: brilliant. It is like an exercise in mining the teenage heart. Every relived day takes us deeper and deeper into something of an analysis of the teenage mind – the teenager who hasn’t found herself yet, who is not self-aware and does not yet understand life. Well, she does by the end of the book. God, its so good. I’m going to go read it again right now.
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver made me feel an array of emotions. Isn’t it amazing when books can do that? At first I was angry and annoyed with the main character, Sam Kingston. She seemed so much like the selfish and entitled brats that annoyed me when I was in high school. But, despite that I wouldn’t wish Sam Kingston’s fate on anyone– to live her last day on earth over and over again. As each day passed, Sam Kingston learns about herself, about her friends, and about the people she alienates. And, as each day passed, I found myself becoming more and more sympathetic to this girl I initially deemed shallow and mean. As each day passed, part of me started feeling angry and frustrated and sad about all of the obstacles Sam had to face– friends, family, the kids she alienated, love and heart-break, all of it! I just wanted Sam to find peace and happiness.

The tone of Before I Fall is very bittersweet. There were moments in the book that made me smile– like when Sam returns to her childhood secret spot, and she invites her little sister to tag along. It was an endearing moment, but considering the circumstances, I couldn’t help feeling sad. So sad, in fact, that Before I Fall will go down in my personal history as the second book ever to make me cry. (While the rest of my 6th grade class was weeping at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows, I was the only one with dry eyes. Even the boys cried! And, I didn’t even cry during any of the Harry Potter books.) And, Lauren Oliver’s writing was a perfect match for Sam Kingston’s story. It was beautiful and poetic (yet, Sam’s voice still seemed genuine), and that probably played a role in making my eyes tear up. ( )
  books_n_tea | Apr 1, 2014 |
just live your day as you are dying today ( )
  jainneha | Mar 28, 2014 |
And the dream goes like this:

I LOVE THIS BOOK! Definitely one of the best of 2010 and on my list of favorite reads ever. It's amazing how Sam is different just by reliving the same day over and over again.

I don't really want to get into the specifics of the plot because everyone should read it. Lives up to the hype and I wish Lauren's new book was out today and not February. ( )
  sojo817 | Mar 15, 2014 |
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Here we go through the life, or afterlife, of Samantha Kingston as she peels back, layer after layer and day after day, the understanding of not just other peoples lives, but her own as well.

“I’m dead, but I can’t stop living.” (220)

This book left me speechless, or perhaps full of so many different thoughts, as it’s hard to put into words. Samantha wanted more than anything to change the outcome of her death, only to learn that it goes much deeper than that, to the point of Sam wanting more than anything to change the outcome of other people’s lives. She’s seen the mistakes she made over and over again in different angles, situations and impacts. Sam’s learned more about her friends and their impact on other’s. She’s learned that the root of people’s treatment of others evolves from others treatment of them, to the point that it’s passed along like a virus, infecting and affecting everyone.

“Most of the time one night blends into the next, and weeks blend into weeks, and months into other months. And sooner or later we all die.” (58)

Juliet. I feel like Juliet. All throughout the book I know it hit home in some way or another. I too remember and hold on towards the things that wronged me, but it’s something deeper; it’s not just me who is Juliet, my life is Juliet. It hit close to home as I saw my life through her eyes. Before I Fall made me feel... I don’t know, not understanding, maybe a bit more accepting of my helplessness of my mom and sad’s suicidal state of mind. In that instant, I then felt like Sam, wanting to stop things, rewind them and try again. Failing and feeling helpless. Sam’s moment of thoughtless sacrifice. Don’t worry about yourself, just the way you affect others in life, hope you did the right thing and then pray that it’s good enough.

“My point is: maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there’s a tomorrow. Maybe for you there’s one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten... But for some of us there’s only today. And the truth is, you never really know.” (268)

Lauren Oliver first impressed me with Delirium, when I first experienced her wonderful way of putting forth an image to her readers. Her writing style is fluid, descriptive and poetic as she takes us through Sam’s troubled mind. As Oliver gives out, day after day, a life equation that throws in and out several variables towards the understanding of a different, hopefully better (but not always) outcome, Before I Fall takes on the challenge of changing how we perceive others, and how our actions can become a catalyst not just for our own lives, but others as well.

“...because of course, I haven’t been falling all this time.
I’ve been flying.” (416)

First Line: "They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me." (3)

Last Line: "The rest you have to find out for yourself." (470)
--------
Quotes

"The whole point of growing up is learning to stay on the laughing side." (5)

"The melody starts repeating in my head and I know I'll be singing it for days. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow. A beautiful word, when you really think about it." (77)

"A good friend keeps your secrets for you. A best friend helps you keep your own secrets." (107) ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Although somewhat predictable, the plot drives forward and teens will want to see where Sam's choices lead.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Amy J. Chow

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drew, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Semon Emil Knudsen
Peter: Thank you for giving me some of my greatest hits. I miss you.
Prologue:

One

"Beep beep", Lindsay calls out.
''Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning.''

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
It's like Groundhog Day

for young women- in book form

with a sad ending.

(Eskimo_Kissez)

After she dies in a car crash, teenage Samantha relives the day of her death over and over again until, on the seventh day, she finally discovers a way to save herself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible